Search the forum,

Discuss Really? That much?! Sign me up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

leelister6

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Just received this email;

Hi,

I am currently working with British Gas in the recruitment of self employed heating engineers to carry out servicing work for their HomeCare customers.

Please see below details of the work:

Work Type: Servicing of boilers and appliances

Contract Length: Ongoing, potentially a number of years

Workload: They are able to offer part time work, you must commit to 2 days per week minimum

Payment terms: Paid weekly one week in arrears

Rates: Attached to email

£19.00 per appliance OR £20.50 per appliance – dependant on area

Breakdown work is optional

British Gas are holding testing sessions for any interested engineers at the following locations & dates:

Date

Venue

Tues, 30th Jan

Holiday Inn, Stafford

Weds, 31st Jan

Hilton, Georges Park, Burton

Mon, 5th Feb

Leicester Academy

Weds, 7th Feb

Holiday Inn, Chelmsford

Thurs, 8th Feb

Hilton, Northampton

Weds, 14th Feb

South Midlands TBC

The testing session will involve a written multiple choice test & interview including scenario based questions.

If you’d like to be booked in to one of these testing sessions please contact me on either 01132515165 or [email protected] and I can provide further details.

If you are successful at the testing session you will then be invited on to complete an 8 day British Gas induction (your are paid £1,000 for this) before taking work.

Kind Regards,

Stewart Mclauchlan | Senior Recruitment Consultant

[email protected]

T 0113 251 5165 F 0113 298 7996 M 07904 631436

1200 Century Way, Leeds, LS15 8ZA

£19.00 how meny do they expect you to do in a day ? and what about all the other overheads, Fuel, insurance etc. Less of course 20% Tax.
Same story every year, if it was so good they wouldn't need to keep recruiting staff.

Be better off at McDonald's. Get a free burger there for sure and holiday pay.

£19.00 how meny do they expect you to do in a day ? and what about all the other overheads, Fuel, insurance etc. Less of course 20% Tax.
Same story every year, if it was so good they wouldn't need to keep recruiting staff.
It is through an agency mate. That’s why. They have stopped taking on direct contractors.

It is through an agency mate. That’s why. They have stopped taking on direct contractors.
Be no expenses then, Agency will want at least 10 a day and have you running round in circles, fuel, parking etc.. will be coming out of the £19. Wonder what amount they get paid of BG.

Be no expenses then, Agency will want at least 10 a day and have you running round in circles, fuel, parking etc.. will be coming out of the £19. Wonder what amount they get paid of BG.
Not much more from what I have heard.

I would email British Gas and ask them if it is a genuine email.

I would also make it sound as if you were keen on the position.
You never know - you might get a reply

Yep it's real I've had two recently they must be desperate lol

If you are struggling for work then it aint too bad. Can easily do 10 of their services (basic safety checks) a day and have a grand a week. They plan all your jobs so they are close together. Add in a few bonus easy breakdowns on to the service which normally pay about £40. Stuck TRV, free it up in 2 mins while there and you have a £60 basic safety check and 2 mins banging a TRV.

Worth doing a couple of days a week if youre struggling
Give your card to every customer - youd have gained 50 new ones in a week :)

I did this when I first started up, was on £21 + VAT for "service", did three days a week, always got 12 services a day in the same area. They binned me off after 20 months which wasn't a drama as I was getting established by then.

They then reapproached a few of us a year later, gave us an additional £1500 if we committed to three days a week so I went back (whilst doing my normal work in the remaining 3 days a week-kept all my existing customer served as I'd seen their loyalty towards contractors).

After a couple more years they started introducing breakdowns into the mix, which would involve a recall if parts were required and this is included in your breakdown fee of £55 + VAT and would then spill over into an "off" day. This coupled with the fact that it was STILL £21 a service despite 5 years having passed, we were being QC'd with phone calls direct to the customer to ensure we had discussed offering them energy from BG, a new boiler from BG, can we sell you a Magnabooster etc. I had assumed I was there to provide a service, not be a saleman.

A good firm to cut your teeth with as a contractor, was invited to the curries out with the regulars (until their union got involved) but you will get talked to like a second-class citizen in the team training talks by some of the regulars.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Really? That much?! Sign me up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock