Search the forum,

Discuss re-soldeing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
just spent my evening taking apart all the end feed fitting that i have been practising my soldering on, and all of them were soldered correctly even the 28mm straight couplers,, they just looked rough. also ive seen on a few vids on u tube people wearing gloves to remove the solder runs,, while the solder is wet, i this a good idea or not. also can the fitting be re used to practise on, do i have to file all the solder out of em. thanks men

ive seen on a few vids on u tube people wearing gloves to remove the solder runs,, while the solder is wet, i this a good idea or not.

If you mean using the gloved hand directly to wipe the solder then I'd say this is a bit risky.

also can the fitting be re used to practise on, do i have to file all the solder out of em. thanks men
If it fits you can re-use it directly. If not then you need to remove solder, probably by abrasion, until it does. If you think the fitting has been abused (really cooked, perhaps, or deformed) then it's not worth re-using, especially solder-ring ones. Good to practise soldering on nevertheless.

Dont need gloves in the real world but in the H&S world you probably do + googles :sad_smile:

Personally I use wirewool to get the solder out. It has to be hot thou. Be careful!

ahh yeah, i know where that is,, didnt think he was talkin about plumb centre.. nice 1 steve
see rich on the counter, hes the only happy chap in there, tell him you want discount too, plumbcentre can be a bit steep without having terms set up

see rich on the counter, hes the only happy chap in there, tell him you want discount too, plumbcentre can be a bit steep without having terms set up

yeah nice1 johns i was only after a pot of everflux,, ill stick on your account.. ftf ha

only kidding

You tried the center brand flux, its good and made by power flow but cheaper

I find power flux to be awful. It sticks when you make fittings up.

steel wool or kitchen roll is fine for wiping a soldered joint and making it look neat,you will find re using fittings hard work

is he a manager now? had a tie on last time i seen him

Don't know. Havent been there for a long time

He should be thou. I dont like the older chap on the counter. And the boy on parts is a pain in the rear

You have to speak to Chris if you wants parts from Bridgend

i dont go there that often theres a right muppet on spares and the older guy on the counter is in a time warp he has 2 speeds slow and stop

To remove & reuse a soldered fitting you have to either, heat it gently & tap it off, & provided it is fully soldered inside, hold it with pump pliers while heating it till solder melts & push it on fluxed pipe & resolder.
Or, after removing fitting, immediately clean solder out of fitting using a rag. Easier on 22mm & larger fittings. Don't leave a trace of solder or fitting won't slip onto pipe later, as it should do. As someone said, you should be wearing gloves, goggles or face shield & a firesuit, but in the real world - I don't!
Be sure the fitting hasn't got dark untinned parts inside! If it does, clean them with emery. Also file the edge of fitting clean, as it may be very tarnished & won't allow solder to get near it.

Last edited:
In the real world you wipe the snots with your bare finger. You won't feel in but in the risk assessed world of impracticability, you have a pair of welders gloves on and knock the pipe so much doing it that it is leaking like a sieve.
If you are unsweating it just wipe it with a bit steel wool or cloth while it is hot to make it smooth inside. You will never be able to wipe off the solder that is there. If you want it off you will need to file it.

When doing other joints with old fittings, unless you water test them you won't know if you did it right. An old fitting once it is tinned (has solder stuck to it) will take even if you are terrible at it.
The only way to do it right is use new fittings. Solder them then take them apart and check. In the real world, turn the water on, turn the water off lol

If you are unsweating it just wipe it with a bit steel wool or cloth while it is hot to make it smooth inside. You will never be able to wipe off the solder that is there. If you want it off you will need to file it.

Tamz, I can usually clean the solder off inside fittings fully, just using a cloth with my fingers inside it & a lot of speed. Lol! Guess it is just something I am used to.
Very easy to miss a tiny bit solder though.
The 15mm or smaller are a bother to clean obviously.
I have no worries about reusing a clean fitting, but usually wouldn't as easier to fit a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tamz, I can usually clean the solder off inside fittings fully, just using a cloth with my fingers inside it & a lot of speed. Lol! Guess it is just something I am used to.
You must have a lot of patience as the solder is chemically bonded to the copper.
You can join 2 tinned ends together without flux or solder if you know how (you may need a dab of solder to fill out a bit but you will now by watching).

Learning is a slow process best supervised :wink:

You must have a lot of patience as the solder is chemically bonded to the copper.
You can join 2 tinned ends together without flux or solder if you know how (you may need a dab of solder to fill out a bit but you will now by watching).

Learning is a slow process best supervised :wink:
If you originally meant that literally ALL the solder cannot be removed - ie the tinning, then no, I don't & can't remove it, unless I emery it when it is cooler, but don't need to remove the tinning obviously.
I also have put both an already heavy soldered pipe end & a fitting just removed & thick with solder together in one go, & then I redo the joint, but always the risk of letting solder inside pipe.
I generally only do this with my own work, if it is a change of idea or if it years old as it should already be fully soldered. I find a lot of fittings are a mess with others work so tends to be not tinned.

Last edited:
Ire-use end feed fittings all the time, just clean em out with the fittings brush and re-flux with the added advantage of being tinned! was the plumbing video on utube by plumberx? and yes you can "wet wipe" the joints but risk desturbing them before they harden.

when i was learning soldering i used a socket forming tool to make a socket on the end of a length of pipe then used a hacksaw to cut that off and made another socket with the tool cut that off and just continued like that until i had used that piece then i cleaned and fluxed them and soldered the pieces back together again

Do they teach you young uns in college how to get solder off your plastic push fit fittings or am I using them wrong? LOL

I use a cotton rag to wipe solder off when runny (gloves as well).

gloves for me when installing
water spray with me from B&Q to cool fittings and CLEAN dump cloth to wipe all joints
do not over do with flux , do not over heat , do not over do with solder this is my best practice
mind you it took me 1 day to learn how to solder need :) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to re-soldeing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock