Search the forum,

Discuss Re-route copper (water) pipes close to wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chronicsys

IMG_0003.jpgIMG_0002.jpgGreetings All,

I would like to re-route my water pipes so they are closer to the wall to save space. (Dont worry I will add a wooden spacer in case the wall ever needs replastering, etc.). I am no expert but can handle most DIY jobs. Problems I have identified: I am a little worried about soldering when there is still water in the pipe (despite my tanks being emptied and mains cut off). I cannot cut the pipe in the bend as i dont think any sleeve will sit comfortably over bent tube - must be straight. I cannot cut the pipe before the bend as its too close to the wall to get to with pipe cutter.

Pictures attached. Any advice extremely gratefully received! Thanks in advance.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure whats going on. uploaded them to my server and attached links. maybe some judicious CTRL+F5 is needed to kick your browser into action. I can see them! have inline attached as well to be safe. thanks easyt for pointing out problem!

use a wet vac to remove water or poke some rag down to soak water up.

If too tricky, can you get a compression coupler into the wall and fit new pipework with new elbow from there? Another possibility is to ask a plumber out - could probably be done within an hour so shouldn't cost the earth.

If you explained the job first and said it's probably 1/2 hour to hour's work with a small amount of 15mm pipe and a few end feed fittings, he'd probably do it on his first visit which would make it cheaper for you.

thank you so much @shneld and @dontknowitall for the replies. the pipes start right up against the wall (literally touching) so i cannot get a coupler on to the pipe without knocking a little breezeblock out (which i am happy to do).

how does one cut pipes so close to the wall? with a hacksaw and the patience of a saint?

Can't you unscrew the clips then pull the pipes out a little? They're stronger than you think!

i'll give it a go thanks. will do this w/e and post results :]

Had to do the same thing with 3/4 inch pipe. I undid the clips and tapped a piece of 50x25mm plane timber behind and just manage to get a pipe slice onto it. Had to buy a 21mm slice rather than 22mm as imperial.

Had to buy a 21mm slice rather than 22mm as imperial.

Are you pulling our legs?

I've never had any difficulty cutting imperial with my cutters. Just a few more turns than normal.

Are you pulling our legs?

I've never had any difficulty cutting imperial with my cutters. Just a few more turns than normal.

Me neither didn't even know there was a 21mm pipe slice
Ifits that bad use a hacksaw

Well as all my work is at home (diy). and I can easily use my adjustable pipe cutter for new pipes if needed, the only time I need to cut 22mm pipe is rare new stuff for the existing stuff where access might be tight is imperial and, being over 46 year old is a damned site thicker wall than the new pipe; it made sense to get a 21mm rather than 22mm.

Some of the old 3/4 pipes I had to cut I would not have had a hope of using a hacksaw. I sent off for the 21mm on the net. Good make, forget it but well known, £11.50 inc posting and saved me a lot of heartache.

Should've bought an adjustable pipe cutter!!!!

Some of the old 3/4 pipes I had to cut I would not have had a hope of using a hacksaw. I sent off for the 21mm on the net. Good make, forget it but well known, £11.50 inc posting and saved me a lot of heartache.

Never saw a pipe a hacksaw can't cut lol

What about one horizontal 15mm from wall, 15mm from floor screed floor with a with a parallel pipe fixed 20mm above it ? Where do you stick your saw then ;)

What about one horizontal 15mm from wall, 15mm from floor screed floor with a with a parallel pipe fixed 20mm above it ? Where do you stick your saw then ;)

I'd use a pipe slice mate lol

Fein multimaster is very handy in tight situations.Good bit of kit.

Can't you unscrew the clips then pull the pipes out a little? They're stronger than you think!

thank you. all done. cant solder wont solder so resorted to compression.

was able to just pull the pipes out enough to get a cutter round them.

bought a kopex tube cutter just for this one job - going spare ! first person to PM me with email gets a free cutter! (Kopex Pipeslice Automatic Copper Tube Cutter 15mm - Transtools). thread participants get first choice obviously!

IMG_0001.jpg

wow chill out everyone dont get worked up over how to cut a pipe.
I think you guys need to get out more why is this even a thread

wow chill out everyone dont get worked up over how to cut a pipe.
I think you guys need to get out more why is this even a thread

did u read the thread? pipes so close to wall i did not know how to go about re-routing .... and got lots of useful tips ... enough to tackle the job with confidence (which i lacked along with any real plumbing skillz!)

case closed me thinks

Well said Chronicsys. If you can foresee the problems and the solutions before you start the job becomes less daunting. Result :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Re-route copper (water) pipes close to wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock