Search the forum,

Discuss Re-Flueing Horizontal Flue to vertical on pitched roof in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have had a bit of a nightmare on a WB boiler installation.

Basically, it failed on Gas Safe inspection on 3 points.

Installer came out to rectify months after and rectified the boiler regarding access points and flu. However, when we saw the flue, we were shocked. We had no idea it would protrude so much and looks very unsightly. It is a horizontal flue on a pitched roof.

Basically don’t know what to do – we are not happy with the flue – but it meets requirements in terms of distance measurements. We are not happy with it though, visually it looks terrible.

I was wondering, what are the option ref re-flueing.

I believe a horizontal flue can be made vertical (so it would blend in a bit more and be aligned with chimney and not look so unsightly).

I have no idea what this process involves.

Property is flat in period conversion. Boiler was relocated to loft area from kitchen to make more space in kitchen. Installer said could de done and installed a year ago but it failed on GS inspection. Now rectified it looks so much worse from the outside.

Really don’t know what to do and think only option is re-flueing and my own cost.

Paid a lot of money for this already.

Thank you!

Any chance of a few pics inside and out please

thank you - I am reluctant to post pictures publicly so I shall see if I can send to you both privately

You can email them me if you want

Received any chance of a few pics of the flue run internally and of the boiler please

Will have a look at this tonight and post them up in the private section of the forum so the lads can have a look and give good advice

If this is ok with you

Not a problem, when you have time will do

Why o why would you do that , i will not install a boiler in a loft period , its the coldest part of your home the harshest environment you cant see what its doing it will forever loose pressure condense can freeze up , a engineer will need access to it to many risks for my liking rather not do the job morning shaun . regards kop

I honestly can't think of what you can do other than moving the boiler. There is simply not enough height above the boiler to fit a roof terminal or enough room horizontally to fit a 90° flue elbow to take it vertical. It looks unsightly as it is but does meet the regs unfortunatly. And the blow off well I don't know what he was thinking. A true cowboy job I am afraid to say. Where has he terminated the condensate? I personally would simply never have installed it like it is now and I suspect neither would anyone else worth their salts. Sorry to put a downer on it but boiler relocation is the only solution I can think of. Oh and what has he hung the boiler on? It looks like a piece of chipboard or some other flamible sheet material.

Your installer should have explained that due to the location of the boiler that there is not enough space above the boiler for a vertical flue kit. Personally I would have advised you to have left it in the kitchen. But that's just me.:p:p:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Re-Flueing Horizontal Flue to vertical on pitched roof in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My installation has been classed as Dangerous 'Do not use' by my boiler manufacturer. I have an Ideal Logic 30kw Combi boiler mounted as high as can be on the kitchen wall. Flue exits out through the wall via an elbow but emerges above a flat roof. Unfortunately it's somewhat less than the...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. How many of you use a roofer to help with vertical flue installations, or do you rather do it yourself?? I’m not one for heights so would rather not if possible.
Replies
Views
We are considering buying a house which currently has a 20 year old Ideal Icos boiler, so we're factoring in replacing the boiler soon. Current boiler is on an external kitchen wall with the flue going straight out. However, it's positioned in between a door and the kitchen window, quite close...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, long story short, our boiler has been replaced with a combi and the loft and airing cupboard are now devoid of tanks and pipework, except.... ... this old flue pipe, which was once connected to the original boiler when our home was built in the mid-80s. It runs from a vent on the roofline...
Replies
Views
I just had a quote for a new boiler install as follows I dont undertand why a 15-60 boiler pump is needed and a 25-100 pump is needed as well I currently have an ideal mexico 2 heat only boiler - It has one DAB pump on the boiler return and a 2 port valve at the flow pipe to allow for heating...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock