Search the forum,

Discuss Rayburn sooting and insulation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 99145

I have an oil fired Mark I 480K which has served us well until now. Symptoms were - cooker photocell regularly melting; oil soot smuts getting into ovens (and Kitchen) overheating lock out. Engineer came and removed hot plate - about 20mm of soot inside. Cleaned out flueways, oven cavities, and baffles but unsure as to cause of problem. During cleaning he dislodged one of the rigid insulation pads in the area of the oven side wall/oven burner cavity and bits came out; he reckons this was damaged before and is probably the cause of the sooting. AFAIK these are NLA from AgaRayburn and even if they were removal/refitting looks like a major dismantling job. I am thinking of fitting a ceramic insulation mat in its place (slightly flexible so may be able to fold it to get in in place) but have no idea as to the position/coverage/shape of the original as the existing is so damaged. Can anyone point me to a reliable diagram that shows the insulation pad set up?

Wife spent 6 hours cleaning kitchen after engineer left, so keen to get it sorted and back in her good books.

Thanks.

Robin

Hello Robin,

There aren't many of oil guys on the forum anymore, - and few of us do oil work on ranges.
@SimonG might be able to advise you, but it sounds like your engineer has been puzzled and probably best you get it sorted by an oil service person.

The only advice I have is get your engineer to speak to heating world of spares. They do insulation boards you can cut to size.
I don't do ranges or stoves anymore. Not worth the hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rayburn sooting and insulation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, came across this forum this looking for information on my sooting up kitchen type indoor Enviromax. I'm a retired electronics/maintenance engineer, (fwiw can answer questions on popular smart home thermostat systems), but I've installed many solid fuel boilers in the last 40 years for...
Replies
Views
S
Worcester Danesmoor 20/25, about 18 years old. B11 burner. We came home a few days ago to find our boiler in lockout, and not wanting to restart, instead simply doing a pitiful whine. We called an engineer out yesterday who, after a quick diagnosis, worked out that the capacitor had gone. We...
Replies
Views
A number of issues have been raised from a boiler replacement. Boiler not operating and with no pressure. Tile damage Sprawling pipe layout in kitchen (Retrospective view of alternate option when it was found that promise of removing pipes from airing cupboard could not be fulfilled). Battery...
Replies
Views
O
Hi, I'm not a heating engineer and I have no intention of touching our boiler, but I really could do with some friendly advice regarding a weird fault. The boiler is an 8-year old ThermeconS90/120. Burner is an Ecoflam Minor 4. Nozzle is a 1.10/60 Location is a dry outhouse. When cold...
Replies
Views
M
I recently recieved a job to service a rayburn 480k cooker/boiler in my area. i have serviced many 480k's, and am aware of the importance of using the correct sized stainless anti drip nozzles, and of the correct combustion settings. i've worked exclusively on oil fired appliances for 20yrs...
Replies
Views
markproperjob
M
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock