Search the forum,

Discuss Rainwater Harvesting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howsie

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
One of my customers is interested in having a 6000l tank installed for their garden irrgation system. Don't know much about these apart from it'll be a bloody big hole.

Any guidance gratefully received.

Done a little estate with em in had chamber in the back garden filled from the down pipes and then a overflow to a soakaway, 25mm blue poly from the chamber back into the house into a control box under the sink which also had the normal incoming main going into it, then went to a small tank in the loft with two ballvalves which then feed the toilets and outside taps

dont use blue poly for rainwater harvested water there is a separate colour coded pipe (black with green stripe) for this see wras web site look in publications all you need to know there :25:

I think kingspan do a good range, remember seeing something.

the tank in loft is a better solution over direct feed, still works with power outage and pump failure. The key is to install correctly to MI. I have worked on a few jobs with direct feed RWH and 50% plus of them we were back within a year and a half disconnect and repipe to mains water supplys due to the amount of problems.

as mentioned the pipework needs to be grey/green stripe and all internal pipework, fixtures need to be identified as carrying reclaimed water including a data badge at the mains stop tap, toilet cisterns, outside tap. You need to put a not drinking water sign at the outside tap also to cover yourself.

Last edited:
seems alot of expense to water the garden. Is it a large area to water?

basically you just need a tank,connected to rwp's a submersable pump and a hose pipe. cheaper to couple some water butts and drop a pump in if theres room. How much are they looking to spend?

It's a four million pound house. A couple of water butts ain't going to cut it me thinks. ;).

Believe me, I wish it would as my old back isn't up to the digging.

you aint going to dig it out with a spade, have you seen the size of the tanks and how deep you need to fit them? you will need a jcb. the tank height is very important as you will need an overflow back to sewer once its full. The further away from the house the more expensive and work involved. i guess tho if they have some money then spending thousands to water the garden is no concern.

Why dont you find a groundworking/drainage company who fits the stuff and subby it too them, let them get building permission, design and fit it and you take you cake with no hard labour. your back will thank you for it :)

I'm joking about the hole. The only hole I dig now is for non paying customers.

Mini digger all the way!

Done properly you need a concrete base with steel coming up the sides and across the top of the tank to prevent ground water from lifting it out of the ground should it start to empty.

There are concrete tanks as well which are easier to install due to their weight.

We were offered a package where two ball valves were to be fitted in the main storage tank in the attic, a submersible pump with a flow switch in the tank answered the call for water, if the tank ran low the mains would top up the storage tank hence two ball valves.

We fitted one which was not a lot of plumbing more civil engineering (fancy name for digging the big hole) my only concern is the second ball valve is under constant pressure so we fitted an "1 1/4 overflow just in case the valves broke or stuck open.

A UV bulb is fitted on the supply to kill off any nasties and a mesh which is self cleaning is fitted where the water off the roof goes into the tank, last thing is you need to be able to fit an overflow from the tank in the ground.

We are about to be hit with water meters in private homes so a good system should pay for itself especially in a house with a large garden where they need a lot of water for plants etc.

The newer tanks or modular tanks for storing rainwater are flat, thin and rectangular in shape. They can be joined later, fits beautifully and looks like fence or wall.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rainwater Harvesting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A gardener/landscaping friend of mine is going to install an irrigation system in a customer's garden. He asked me to pop around and measure the pressures and flowrates...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my bathroom, and according to the plumber who fitted the new taps, high-pressure taps were fitted. Consequently, the water from taps is of a low volume...
Replies
Views
C
I'm trying to pipe rainwater into my cistern under my house. I'm trying to find an overflow controle method. 4" auto valves are to expensive. Thought about putting a ring around in to raise the top up far enough to put an overflow pipe but I don't think I could get it to seal right. Is there a...
Replies
Views
Cody l
C
I live in Azerbaijan and am looking to revamp the water system in my house. The first thing is that I don't have a water meter - probably a good thing as my mother in law pours tonnes of water on the garden in summer, mostly watering weeds as she can't tell the difference from grass. But the...
Replies
Views
A
Hi there, I recently purchased a flat that was built in 2016. The apartment is still under the NHBC 10yr warranty. Since moving in, I discovered that the rainwater pipe that runs through my winter garden balcony at one end of the property is connected to a combined water/sewage system with the...
Replies
Views
Amelia
A
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock