Search the forum,

Discuss Radiators not all getting to temperature after fitting new boiler & new radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RoyLittle0

Hi All,

I am having a few problems with my radiator system, I have had a new boiler fitted earlier this year and I have also fitted an additional radiator as well as rerouting the pipework to another radiator, this was all earlier in the year, but it's not until now the temperature has dropped that I jhave noticed the problem.

My problem is that one room isn't getting to temperature, I have one radiator which is noticeably cooler than all the others on one that is slightly cooler than the others, both are new and in the same room, they are fed from above indipendanly tee'd into a 22mm pipe with 15mm pipe (Close together).

The area that I think is the problem has 4 radiators Tee'd off in a close location to each other, probably they all Tee off within a 500mm area of the 22mm main pipe, could this cause one radiator to be bypassed by the main flow and just receiving a trickle from the Flow.

I have tried various things like turning radiators off and balancing the system which has improved things but not solved them, any thoughts?

The system is:-

• Combi Boiler "Potterton Titanium 33"
    22mm pipework for Flow and Return
    15mm Branch pipes to each radiator
    underfloor heating system
    It has been Flushed
    all radiators have been balanced to 1/2 turn on lockshield
    15 Radiator system
    Mainly all TRV's

If all rads have been balanced, as stated, then some rads would not be cooler than others unless something has blocked flow since, or valves are sticking. Remove heads of TRVs and ensure pins move freely. Close all hot rads and if cool rads then heat up, you need to rebalance system. CROPPIE's REBALANCE GUIDE is the definitive bible.

Hi there Roylittle and welcome along, irrespective the size of system as aslong as the boilers big enough to handle said amount of rads then aslong as its correctly balanced then you shouldnt have bypassing , you may get bypassing if incorrectly balanced though,,,,, like said below double check that the pin / thermostatic valve is working correctly , also the danfoss ones have a directional adjustment , depending on direction of flow you adjust the grommet to same direction the heats traveling , ( only with danfoss),,, also when you taped up the radiator valve insert did u make sure you didnt cover the internal hole with ptfe tape which can easily be done if not carefull, you may have a bit of trapped air however prob not as pressurised,
Id close all but that 4 to see if it fully heats , if it does then the problem is circulation / balancing , get an engineer to make sure the automatic air valve on the pump is open,

Thanks for the replies,

The TRV's are not Danfoss and the pins are not sticking, I did have one stick closed but that is a different rad and now fixed.

I can remove the rads to check if PTFE is covering the end but this will be a last resort as I was quite careful fitting them, but an option

I will close off most of the rads and see how hot the ones in the cold rooms get, the other one of the 4 which is in the bedroom gets very hot.

When I balanced the system I turned off all radiators apart from the ones that were cold and then opened up the lockshields by 1/2 turn, which certainly improved things. where can I get hold of a copy of CROPPIE's REBALANCE GUIDE.

Hi Roy.
Should have read "CROPPIE'S BALANCING THREAD" and link can be found in day old post under "Too many rads", reply 2.
Sorry my IT skills do not allow me to put up direct link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiators not all getting to temperature after fitting new boiler & new radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

have a mixture of radiators range between 25 & 60 years old.Im having a new boiler fitted, do I change all the rads or just the old ones? Cheers
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I live in a flat that has communal heating through a single pipe system. I recently had replaced a deco flat panel (waffle) radiator with a more mundane type 22 panel radiator. The problem is that the new radiator sort of worked in the beginning, but it does not emit any heat now...
Replies
Views
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up & made safe for now, have had affected pipe cut & put end caps on. Work required Full bathroom remove old tiles walls and floor. Renew tiling. New...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock