Search the forum,

Discuss Radiators cold, but heating on... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, new poster, and a DIYer that just doesn't understand water.

I've a 20 year old house with Y-plan system, bit of a Trigger's broom (I've previously separately replaced the pump, 3-port valve, cylinder, plumber replaced the boiler... but the pipe-work is all original!) Oh, 12mm microbore plastic to the rads.

Pump is < 6 months old, and a new magnaflow installed at the same time. I power-flushed the system whilst replacing these, and cleaned/inhibited the system whilst doing this. Until recently - all has worked well.

Today, no heating. Well, a little from the upstairs bathroom rad (this is a bypass), but nothing significant from the others. I've bleed the ground floor rads (no air expelled) and tried opening the two lower bleed valves (lowest parts of the system) - some discoloured water but no sludge.

Previously when I power-flushed the system (6 months ago, when replacing the pump) there was lots of magnatite (or whatever it's called) but after a couple of hours the system ran clear.

I know that I can feel the heat hit the CH side of the 3-port if I turn the CH off, leave to cool, then turn CH on (pipe heats up in seconds to hot). Thermostat is generating demand. 3-port can be heard motoring when alternating between hot water/CH. But no heating!?

I'm thinking it's time to power-flush again (at least that justifies me buying the second-hand unit last year) - as all I can imagine now is a blocked manifold, but would happily try anything easier if anyone has any clever idea?

Dependind how the system was refilled it maybe air or gunk , I don't do powerflushing as don't have a machine but I always thought u couldn't flush microbore pipework,
Take it your system is gravity fed, are all valves open or balanced , has pump been bled and pump valves defo fully open ,,, Defo a bad circulation issue, I'd be closing some rads to see if heat is forced round parts of system and make sure zonevalve is fitted and working correctly, did a plumber do all your work or was it yourself , ?

Might not be the end of the world - bought a pump-only unit from grundfoss that is supposed to be compatible with the earlier one, but couldn't the old one didn't fall apart as it should have. Meant I ended up buying a complete pump assy, so with this being only 6 months old it should be easy to swap out the pump body without any plumbing work (and with the new isolating valves, with very little water loss).

I would say the pump feels/sounds okay, but it would explain a sudden loss of function.

I agree with Kris . 100% sounds like a circulation issues. Did you use a unit to flush the system if so, was flush chemicals / desludger used .Microbore can be flushed but can create more issues if not careful.
I would try closing the upstairs circuit .making sure the 3 port valve is open, and try again . Providing it's gravity and not sealed .Jump in the loft and check the quality of the water in the small tank (F&E) if its dirty and slushy, I would imagine your system is too

Is it a ups2 pump. Is the light on? Is it pulsing? Spinning up for a fraction of a second every 10 seconds or so?

@GE Sonny: Norstrum Proflush, with a desludger in the system a few days before hand (from memory). Pretty sure 3 port is working (alternating between HW and CH I can feel the appropriate outlet getting hot). F&E is reasonably clean. expansion pipe is hot at the cylinder, but cold in the loft by the F&E tank. Tank contents stone cold. I'm intrigued... "I would imagine your system is too...." what?

@SimonG: UPS2 - I did have it on II (then tried on III). Now that I've read a bit online turned it down to I, but will also try the proportional pressure settings. It is spinning constantly.

@kris: Problem is all the radiator balance valves are seized after 20 years, so isolating individual rads is not an easy option (I'll do it, but not when I get home at 8pm from work... Fan heaters and immersion until the weekend it would seem).

I appreciate the replies.

Hi summat,, I think you've kinda answered your own question with saying the valves are seized possibly, let us know how u get on , cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiators cold, but heating on... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My Mother-in-law was quoted ÂŁ1,000 by British Gas to do a power flush on her system as her rads aren't performing well. I was wondering, as 4 radiators need to be upgraded to doubles, would this need to be done if they are drained off and replaced? How does one actually know it needs a power...
Replies
Views
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
When I turn on our CH there's a lot of noise from one specific part of the system - the pipes on the landing, and one radiator. It sounds like air, and the landing radiator needs bleeding regularly (about once a month), even though it isn't the highest point in the system. The two upright rads...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I noticed this winter my living room rad only get hot in the top half. Radiator is 1600mm(DP SC) double panel single convector. System was flushed just last year. Both flow and return values are fully open and don't stick. Boiler is serviced each year. Baxi combi boiler about 8 ton9...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock