Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator Valve replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I have an old system in the house with a fairly decent boiler, Worcester Greenstar 37CDI Combi.

The radiators and pope work are old, I think the system needs cleaned but I also need new radiators.

Because I’m renovating I can’t afford either done just now. I’ve noticed the valves on some are leaking but I haven’t even fired up the heating since Xmas? Any ideas why they have started dripping now?

If I get new valves and drain the radiator system will I still be able to have hot water and stop thebsystem dripping - it’s just a shame to keep working on walls and floors to have them soaked.

Any help much appreciated, cheers.

Anyone disturbed the valves ?

That may be a the reason why they’ve started to leak or seals probably gone and also full of muck.

I’d advice to isolate the flow and return under the boiler to make sure it holds the pressure at one bar and then start draining the heating system.

Why don’t you try flushing your radiators yourself using a hose pipe.

nice one AMG. connect hose to mains at one end, open pipe at another give it all a blast with rads off and then turn one onoff every hour or so. let the outgoing hose pour onto the road or concrete and you will see what comes out - it makes worms really wiggle if there is any chemicals present - saves a chemical test !

So to clarify, I have a drain valve on a down stairs radiator. Attach a hose to that and turn all radiators off at the lock shield.

How do I then attach the mains to the system to flush it through? Do I just turn on the pressurising valve as if I was pressurising the boiler and leave it on?

At what point do I let pressure through each radiator?

Final point, I don’t know the sequence of the radiators, how can I work out which is closest to the boiler and so on so I clear the system from start to finish?

So grateful for the time you guys have spent on this for me VMT.

you have got it, isolate the boiler let the mains water into the system as you say and let it go around the system and out of the drain point through a hose with jubilee clip for good measure. dont pressurise anything. then when it all is flowing all dandy open one rad at both ends and repeat for them all in turn. as said dont let the water go into a drain but somewhere you can see its colour. the road outside is good
you can also gently vibrate the rads esp along the bottom to activate the sludge - if you have a good magnet this is even better. yu should get loads of ferric black sludge its quite satisfying better tan pressure washing your drive. let us know how you get on. any black sludge on your wifes carpet comes of with gas leak detector spray

Sorry guys but still in the dark about how to “isolate the boiler” and how if not through the boiler pressurising valve how to “let the mains water into the system”? All I k ow how to operate is the valve on the base of the boiler to pressurise the system (always needs it) and the lock shield and TRV’s. I can connect a hose securely to the drain valve easily and have one rigged to go but don’t know how to introduce ‘other’ means of mains supply?

Sorry if this is billy basics but I’ve no experience, thanks again for tolerating day 1 week 1 questions

its ok...you have the mains water supply as you say. you dont need another - if you had a conventional system you would. isolate boiler ......there will be a shut off valve under the boiler on the flow and return pipes to/fro rads........we were all billy basics once

Time to get a pro in my recommendation

White square knob is to pressurise the boiler

0BF0E176-0FEA-4C1A-AFBF-C36D196B630A.jpeg

white one to send mains into system then out thro the drain off. turn off central heating boiler with the two black knobs on the bigger pipes not the small pipe thats to the hot water. whats the unsoldered fitting not doing ?. leave the rads alone now and just flush it all thro. tell us how you get on..................off to a funeral

whats the unsoldered fitting not doing? As far as I can see they are all soldered, the pvc pipe is a drain/overflow as far as I know?

I’ve closed the far left and right large pipes and left the gas and the hot water alone, boilers off and started to drain the system. Looks clear. Cracked the bleed valves on a few and the problem one to speed up the process? Once drained I undo the problem nut and see if the nut retightens?

Many thanks and sorry to hear of your loss

CA22BF9F-15B8-4E27-A7D6-6527C5BF1ACB.jpeg

C03D2F17-B911-4D5C-A4D9-305952D868DF.jpeg

DFE31583-4820-4491-8227-D0787E90223E.jpeg

Now that the boiler in/out pipes are locked off I take it there’s no damage if I turn the boiler on for a shower?

Finally how do I attach the mains to start the flush through?

No rush and thanks again

Reply to Radiator Valve replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock