Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator extension piece? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dundeenil

Please help a non-plumber do a bit of DIY.:confused:

I've had to replace my old radiator. Problem is, my old radiator is 640mm wide and all the radiators to purchase have been 600mm wide, couldn't for the life of me find one at 640mm. So I bit the bullet and bought a 600mm wide one thinking, simple - I'll just buy an extension piece to make up the 40mm gap.

I purchased 3/4" isolating valve pair from Wickes to attach to each side of my radiator. The 3/4" fits perfectly into my radiator, and the other side is a 1" diameter nut which fits perfectly onto my old connection coming out of the floorboards. However, as my radiator is 40mm shorter than my old one, I require the 40mm extension piece.

However, I require a 1" diameter, 40mm length extension piece. I am unsure what the thread is as I don't have a thread gauge.

I've been round all the local merchants and all I can find are 1/2" diameter 40mm length extension pieces.:mad:

Please can anyone give me advice on how to acquire a 1" diameter 40mm length extension piece!! Help this newbie to the forum!:eek:

Hmmm:eek:

Sounds like I may be measuring my nuts wrong?:rolleyes:

I gather that as the 3/4" Wickes isolating valve fits both sides (radiator and floorboard connection), that means I may be looking for a 3/4" 40mm extension piece?

Between your 2 photos, the Wickes connection looks more like the 3/4"bsp.

I think I am getting confused with the 3/4" bit:confused:. If we imagine the picture below is that of my Wickes connection (which is advertised as a 3/4"). The diameter of the left hand pipe is 3/4" (this is what I presumed to be why it was called 3/4") and this fits into my radiator. And the diameter of the old connection pipe coming from my floorboards is 1" and this fits into the right hand nut in your picture (and onto my Wickes connection). The measurement across the flats of the nut is 30mm.
p1054000_x.jpg

Therefore, are you saying that I should be looking for a 3/4" 40mm extension piece?

I hope you can help me further and not getting too frustrated by my ignorance!:eek: Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it is! Well the horizontal part, not the vertical, the vertical looks like my connection coming out of the floorboards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've attached 2 photos of the Wickes valve (along with the PTFE tape!). Also photos of the connection coming up from the floorboard.
Finally there is a picture of the Wickes valve attached to my radiator.

Attachments

• CIMG0581.JPG
    CIMG0581.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 45
  • CIMG0582.JPG
    CIMG0582.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 36
  • CIMG0583.jpg
    CIMG0583.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 35
  • CIMG0584.jpg
    CIMG0584.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 28
you can get solid extensions for rads in 20mm 30mm 40mm, dont use the adjustable extensions, the slightist knock and they leak.

ajs heating, you're a God-send!

I've ordered one and fingers crossed this will work!!

Many, many thanks.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator extension piece? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock