Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator distance from floor / window cill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sizing up a radiator for a newly built room. Now, the bay window is quite large so the space underneath it isn't much.

With this in mind, I understand that the minimum from the floor is 15cm for effective air flow. Question is, how close to the window cill can I go? The window cill isn't sticking out by more than about an inch, so it wouldn't be covering the radiator from above by much at all...would 5cm be enough or is that too small a gap?

depends are the rad sides removable ?

Don't think so, it's a regular Quinn Slieve horizontal radiator. raddddddd.jpg

If the window sill doesn't really protrude over the top of the rad much, like you say, then I would think any sort of reasonable gap would do fine to let the heated air flow.
I would guess 25mm would be acceptable, although would want more if possible, or if sill was out beyond rad depth.
You could if you really had to, hang the rad slightly lower than the 150mm to bottom of rad. I try to not go below about 125mm. It is not so bad if finished floor level is tiled, as carpets together with heavy underfelt can add a lot of depth to a floor

It will be carpeted (bedroom), but calcs take into account 11m underlay + 12mm carpet, so I will have about 15cm at bottom and 5cm at the top - thank you for the advice! :)

50mm space at top sounds good. The rad should work well IMO.
I often have to put rads much closer to sills than that. The plastic window fitters tend to be too lazy and won't trim the width of new plastic sills I find

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator distance from floor / window cill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock