Search the forum,

Discuss radiator dilemma in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

princess43

Thank god I have found this group!! My husband is once again embarking on some plumbing DIY. All the previous times that he's had a go, have resulted in us having to call an emergency plumber out, so you can imagine why I'm not exactly thrilled about his plans! However, he is determined, so I'm hoping that some kind people here will help us through.
He wants to replace an old flat panel radiator with a modern convector one, which on the face of it, and according to Collins book of plumbing, should be a relatively simple task. However, the radiator doesn't have a drain off to drain the system - problem no. 1! Problem number 2 is that the lockshield valve is stuck solid, and when hubby tries to turn it, it twists the pipe that it is attached too. Incidentally, the same valve now leaks - it didn't before though!! Then there is sticky problem of pipework to the new radiator which is a smaller one. Although hubby has a gas flame thrower thing, and could solder joints together, are there any fittings he could use that don't involve fire?

Lastly, if hubby does actually manage to connect everything up (which will be a miracle!), how does he refill the central heating system? We have a combination boiler that is pressurized, so how do you may sure that you maintain the right pressure, whilst letting enough water enter the system?

Anyway, I hope any helpful plumbers out there can understand my predicament and offer some helpful advice apart from the obvious, which is to call a professional!!

tbh it sounds like he will struggle and for the sake of 70.00 to fit a new rad i would get someone in
with draining it down refitting which will prob mean soldering new pipes and refilling and repressurizing the combi its prob a 2hour job
hubby sounds keen but dare i say clueless

I can totally understand why he wants to give it a go, on the face of it, it is an easy job. These easy jobs (as you are aware) are never as easy as you'd think. I'd advise him to get a plumber in and watch what is happening and ask questions.;)

£70 where do you live,drain down ,ok its combi system wont take long.remove old rad,whats wall like could be old and crumbling,by time you have strugled to fix to wall could take 2 hours [ its plumbing what can go wrong will] top up normaly very quick on a combi system ,but what about other rads are they still older ones,the shock of being represuriesed after draining can make them leak[this is a common problem when replacing open vented systems with combi boilers,you did not fit original system may be lots of sludge some rads then do not heat up it could go on and on client thinks its your fault you were last one to touch it,sudenly you have been on job 10 hours,take out deisel ,tax ,stamp,insurence, what you got left ,dont undersell yourself

see your point i have based that on the mates rates i would agree that it can be a nightmare so without seeing it thats a shot in the dark i am a bit cheap is 100.00 more realistic

I wouldnt do it for £100 time materials inhibitor it all adds up and I have a living to make min £200 for me plus cost of materials.

Thank you so, so much for your comments. I am now 100% sure that my hubby should NOT attempt this particular DIY task, and will try to deter him. It just seems too momentous a task for a novice.

In all fairness to my hubby though, he never gives in, never gives up, and will always attempt everything. However, I've come to the conclusion that plumbing is not his thing, and we DO need a professional.

Thank you all very much. If in the future my hubby plans to attempt any further plumbing, I will certainly be back here for advice.

Thanks again.

Always remember in the eighties when diy took off you would get a phone call every other Sunday night from a wife who would say,my husband started such and such job of Friday night and has not finished,,I have been without running water all weekend and he is back to work tomorrow,will not see him for a week apart from 1/2 hour at night:eek:
can you come out and sort out,the latest call I had was 3 am Monday morning,A wife,saying can you come round and fit a shower unit urgent,no water,husband back to work in morning ect,never went and thats the last call I took after 10 pm,part timer now :)
Any way we have a wife on-line with a radiator requireing replacing do I hear £70,yes over there in the newbie corner,any advances,there we go,david gives a quick nudge and newbe attacks again with £100,any more going once,going...no Winston senses weakness in other bids after davids dier warning of 10 hr job and jumps in at least £200,things are hotting up and whats this princess,realises and admits what a momentous a task this could be for a novice,maybe opening the way for more upward bidding,who knows,now come on,princess seems like a very nice person,could be chocy bisys on the job....do I hear £250 :D

I know I am but could not resist and am in a good mood again :)

I tend to charge a flat fee for rads £180 supply and fit De Longhi 15 year gtee.Some you win some you lose,if it was in a bathroom or vestibule then it wouldn't be as much.(600 x whatever single,P+ or double,and I'm talking no more than 1200ish)Outside of "the normal"domestic size is different.

I find customers like to know they can change the "yellowing"rad in the hall/living room/bedroom and know what it will cost without the teeth sucking.

I also fit a TRV and always add inhibitor.Some you win(1/2 hour in and out)some you lose but any more than 2 hours for a rad is a joke.

Get a plumber in. you wouldnt believe the amount of times i have been called out because the "hubby" thought it would be an easy task to replace or remove a radiator and ended up with a large puddle and a ruined carpet instead, this is my most common call out problem. it would be cheaper to get a plumber to do it for you rather than repair it for you plus new carpet etc.

Maybe I am expensive, but I always if draining down like to add sludge remover to the system & allow the customer to decide if they want it in the system for the max 4 weeks. So I return drain down again to clean it all out and add the inhibitor.

This gives me the opportubity to establish if there have been any problems and provide a bit extra customer service. I also find this is when I pick up extra work either from the customer or neighbours :D

yes there is a limit as to the charge of replacing a radiator, but there are variables, siezed stopcock, crumbling walls, sludge, pipe alterations when rad is reduced from imperial panel to compact convector etc. Always be honest with the customer and cover yourself, that way, most of the time, you will get repeat work and that is why we're here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to radiator dilemma in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock