Search the forum,

Discuss Radiant gas fire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signs of schorching on carpet below wall hung gas radiant fire classification at risk?

Are you gas safe registered?

If so, please read the forum rules about advice on gas appliances on an open forum.
If not. "Same as above"

Are you gas safe registered?

If so, please read the forum rules about advice on gas appliances on an open forum.
If not. "Same as above"

Sorry I haven't wrote that specifically. I am a customer and British Gas have ID'd the appliance for signs of schorching on Capet below fire would you agree on this? Cheers
Kind regards

Yes it's id. Has the fire been seviced! And could a hearth be fitted?

Disagree. To the letter of law this should be classified AR as per GIUSP.

id but its down to engineers opinion at the time

Disagree. To the letter of law this should be classified AR as per GIUSP.

Thanks for your reply. Since posting this correct me if I am wrong but this is section 7.10 from unsafe situations edition 7 (updated unsafe situations)?
Kind Regards

image.png

So this is classified as at risk as evidence heat near to combustibles? The fire is defiantly coming out and replacing with solid fuel log burner with liner I think haha

So this is classified as at risk as evidence heat near to combustibles? The fire is defiantly coming out and replacing with solid fuel log burner with liner I think haha

make sure who ever install it is hetas registered

All this regulation reading is well and good and is there for a reason.

However, speaking as an engineer and obviously in my own opinion:-

Every job must be taken on its own merits.
The decision between AR and ID is basically
whether something dangerous might possibly happen AR
or definitely will or has happened ID

On top of this black and white decision making comes the Engineers discretion.
He or she has to decide between the two.
Looking at the scorched carpet idea, if I was in that position and needed to make a decision on whether it was safe to leave it or not, my choice would be ID ! Mainly because your carpet has scorched it just hasn't reached an ignition temperature ........yet !

Then when I go home, I can sleep easy without worrying about house fires. I suspect the BG engineer did the same and most people I know would too. ( bare in mind we haven't seen this).

If you brought the people who wrote that AR description to the property and ask them to sign their name and take responsibility for it, my bet is they would also use discretion and arrive at the same conclusion as BG

The point I'm making is, that just because it says something in a rule book, that doesn't always outway an experienced engineers decision making and does not necessarily make their decision wrong.

The fires going anyway now but as above. Log burner is hotter still and needs a registered and qualified installer.

Last edited:
My reason for ID. would be that the carpet is scorched and below! The fire.that takes a lot of heat. If you have a little heat damage to a painted surround above the fire, in my Veiw, that would be AR.
Both are scorched, but completely differing scenarios.

You have to make a decision based on what may happen after you have gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiant gas fire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock