Search the forum,

Discuss Rad valves and bung kits in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

villa_tom

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all

Got a lot of rad valves to change in various houses tomorrow - think i've drawn the short straw:eek: - anyway, I have a bung kit on the van and never used it, but was just wondering if any of you guys have?

I've no problem with the drain downs but would use bung kit if quicker

Any advice appreciated

Tom

I only use them on quick repairs and have cap ends standing by just in case, and never leave an open pipe unattended when using bugs. And only on indirect systems. Can save a lot of time though and overall a good bit of kit.

Thanks for the quick reply, if i where to use them how much water would i expect to get out of the system if changing a downstairs valve perhaps???

Hi use them all the time about a bucket full, when taking them out the tank remove the cold feed one first then the vent

Not telling you how to suck eggs? Only do one valve at a time! I was in the merchants once and overheard the following experience. The engineer had gone in to change rad valves the system, bunged it, then two engineer's ran round changing valves and end up with gallons of water on the carpets. The fitter dragged the staff member, who sold the kit, across the counter and gave him a right hard time on what a load of crap these bungs are. I pulled him off and told him the errors of his way's. Seriously Bung Kits are gret time and money sving tool. Saves time on draining and replacing inhibitor.

Only change one valve at a time if you go the bung way, if changing full house I would drain down

Eco

Thanks all for your quick replys. As its just one valve in each house (6) think i'll test the bung kit out on the first one and if i like it i'l go from there otherwise i'll just stick with the draindown

Hi use them all the time about a bucket full, when taking them out the tank remove the cold feed one first then the vent
what your saying is you loose about a bucket from each tail pipe during the swap over?.
what about the rad?.

i would not risk it ! drain down fully and use my wet and dry if there is rads on drops ! trusted method that will not let me down !for the sake of refill in 20 min could end up in deep sh@t and not make any ÂŁ !

i have never used bungs if your working on a conventional tank fed system start to drain but initially do not turn cold water off,if you can hear the tank re-filling the neutral points not blocked if you cant it is or ball valve seized then you can price that into the job and not get blamed when you cant get water back in, i always fully drain down the other thing to check on a old system,is the pump old and knackered looking? advise it may die with the excitement of re filling of course if its a pressurised sealed system bung are null and void anyway

ok why not use a 15 mm comp end and 22 push for the OF,same think aint it ?for the sake of the ÂŁ for the kit if you going to use one at all !

i would never risk it !!!

Last edited:
Whats the problem? Theory! Bung will make a vacum on the installation, as long as you open up one part at a time. Done it loads of times, saves introducing new inhiditor and time on the job. Just make sure you have a vacum on the system. Bung in the cold feed & bung in the open vent. Ive even changed a 3 port valve doing this. Yes you get a little bit back, not to much.

- switch boiler and pump off
- plug vent and feed
- open 2 ends only at once

this is fine for a simple job like a straight pump/mov/or rad valve change!

Just make sure that you have pushed the plugs home properly . . .

Yeah only open and do one rd valve at a time, been using them years, my dad introduced me to then years ago. Especially handy when on an emergency call out at 10pm when someones decided a floorboards sqeaking, and hammered a nail straight into a heating pipe ! Yeah ball valve can stick on a conventional drain down and yes you can hear it, but what about when you end up with air lock problems at night on a call. Do it, do it.

Whats the problem? Theory! Bung will make a vacum on the installation, as long as you open up one part at a time. Done it loads of times, saves introducing new inhiditor and time on the job. Just make sure you have a vacum on the system. Bung in the cold feed & bung in the open vent. Ive even changed a 3 port valve doing this. Yes you get a little bit back, not to much.

just never used them thats all may give them ago

Hi all - just a quick update. Had the six valves to change today AND THEY WHERE ALL SEALED SYSTEMS!!!!!!RESULT!!!! So never had the chance to use the bung, I was just contemplating it as i'm now on price work. However for the sake of saving a few minutes on a job I think I'll just stick to the trusted hose!

Thanks for all of your response's. I honestly really appreciate it, its nice to see people helping each other in this world for a change

Many thanks

Tom

Use the bungs all the time....no problems so far(touch wood). I also use them to plug feed/vent on CWSC if gate valve seized and no isolation valve on hot outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rad valves and bung kits in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock