Search the forum,

Discuss Quick guides to boiler and radiator sizing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys, just wondering if any of you have any rules of thumb for the sizing of radiators and boilers.

Dont like all the calculations. So if there is a way i can get by without all the U values and Heat loss calculations. If not, then i shall have to stick with them.

Thanks for all your knowledge.

Mutley

i would normally just measure each room in feet (length x height x width and multiply that by 5 to get the btu's) do that for each room to get the size of each radiator, then add them all up to get the size of boiler. to convert that to kw divide btu's by 3412 or 3142 cant be to sure on that one. well thats what i do anyway. and add about 3 kw for heating of cylinder

Yes the rule of thumb Boyler suggests is well known. But if you want to be a bit more scientific "Google" Stelrad "Stars" and download their sizing program. Its nice and easy to use, no maths either and you can muck about with different rad sizes.

Good fun. I have used it for sizing and it works great Its Free by the way.

Big room, big radiator :)

Get yourself a Mears calculator and work out a full house in under 5 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
As well as using Sterad Stars, you should use the Boiler Size Calculator to check that your calculations are correct.

Don't forget that, if you over-size your radiators, you will be able to run at lower temperatures, which saves fuel. For example, if you run with a flow temperature of 75C and return temp of 55C, you will need to oversize your rads by 20%; and if you run at 65C/55C, you will have to oversize rads by35%. This does not affect the size of boiler.

If you are installing a combi boiler, the boiler size is determined by the hot water requirements. But it's worth checking that the heating requirement is not below the lower modulation limit of the proposed boiler. Ideally the lower limit should be well below the calculated heating requirement as it means the boiler will be able to modulate down when the outside temperature is higher.

If you don't want to go to the bother of using Stelrad Stars, find the boiler size using the boiler calculator. Then divide this between the rooms based on floor area. If you want to you can give more to the ground floor rooms as they tend to need a higher temperature than the bedrooms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Quick guides to boiler and radiator sizing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
My first thought when I heard this fault a combi boiler with hot water but no heating. Was a problem with the stat, controls not making the call for heat. If this is not the case. Can the divertor valve be the cause of the issue?
Replies
Views
Hi all, just moved a radiator from one wall to another, straight forward job, heating is working, problem is that on turning on a hot water tap the water coming out is heating water ( Fernox smell)and the boiler pressure drops quite quickly. Baxi Platinum 28HE. Any help or ideas please
Replies
Views
B
Issue with boiler short cycling in system with hot water tank. We have an ideal heating logic heat2 h15 boiler which feeds a hot water tank upstairs in the house. We have an issue where if the boiler isn’t set to 80c then the boiler will short cycle, the hot water tank thermostat is set at...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a wallstar combi oil fired boiler. We got low on oil a couple of weeks ago but didn't run out. Since we've had our oil delivered the boiler won't fire up when hot taps are turned on so no hot water. The boiler fires up periodically to heat water but not when we turn on taps. I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock