Search the forum,

Discuss Question to all plumbes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andyg0507

Hi all just want some feedback really.

Basically im due to start college in september to do my first year plumbing course, during the time between now and then i can get myself on a course that lasts a week just installing bathrooms obviously you have to pass the cousre, wouldthis be benificial to do in the meantime just to get a bit of money comin in, im not expecting big bucks and not expecting loads of jobs comin in either.

questions on a postcard!:):)

Hmm!

Yes and No!

The experience may be good, but it could also be a nightmare if you start to do it professionally. Its not a case of learning how to put in a straight forward bathroom suite. Its knowing the system its connected too and what to do if things go wrong.

So by all means if the course is cheap try it, but be very circumspect of using the gained skills to earn any money.

Get your head into a few books before you start your course in september if I was you. Books are cheaper and they are there for future reference

Bbathroom installation is more the installing a bathroom as Bernie mentioned

yes i suppose you are both right, maybe i should just do the course for my experience only, as it can only enhance anything learnt at college,

thanks for the replies guys

I would do it as an interest more than anything else, I installed my own bathroom before embarking on a plumbing course and learnt quite a bit. Although not about plumbing as such, I discovered that connecting pipes was only a small part of the problem. How to stop the bath moving, different quality of fittings, how to get up a wood chip floor........ What to do if you cut through a pipe thats "live" although you've turned off the supply:eek:

My own install was apparently easy! a straight swap, when I started there was not 1 pipe that didn't need moving, including the toilet........

A course will not go into it in this level of detail.

On the plumbing course installing the bath was a very small part of the skills required. I think you'd enjoy the course, depends how much it costs and whether you can afford it or make that money back.

Whatever you decide good luck

Speaking as a relative Newly qualified (Last May), I'd say go for the books.
Since finishing my NVQ no company will touch me without at least 5 years experience so I started doing jobs on weekends and evenings.
It's a whole other world than from the classroom. There is so much that even after two years study I've found out I don't know. (which is why this site is so great).

The other side I've found is that even with bathrooms very few people want a straight swap, if they're doing it they do everything so can you do tiling? repair or replace plaster? do the electrics for moving/installing showers?

As the other guys said there is so much more to it. Stick with your books, learn as much as you can and hope for the best when you finish. Coming straight from college is a good bonus as you won't have too many bills to worry about so you can take a lower paid job and start at the bottom. I'm in my 30's and trying to change careers and have a minimum wage limit I can afford to take which no-one will hire a newbie for that cost.

Learn learn learn, take it from an old git mate, the more you do now the easier it will be in a few years for you.

Good luck and enjoy.

Tosh

hi tosh thanks for that reply it makes sense what you say, im actually not that young myself, well 27, got laid off at christmas conservatorie fitting and fancied a change.

i think the course i was talking about i may go ahead and do just for the experience, as the mrs isnt on a bad wage so we and the little one still get fed:)

As for the books i think i might just order the jtl lot and get my head down:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Question to all plumbes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock