Search the forum,

Discuss Question regarding CCN1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

R.Oak

Hi guys, great forum here can see myself coming back very often. I have a question regarding getting on the 'Gas Safe' register.

I'm currently a self employed plumber, I hold the NVQ Level 2 in Mechanical Engineering services (100/3284/8) and Basic Plumbing studies (100/3356/7). I am looking to press on and get my 'Gas Safe' registration.

The problem I have is as a general plumber I do not have much experience with working on gas systems. I am given to understand that to sit my CCN1 assessments I am required to first have a portfolio of gas work I have completed. As a self employed plumber this is difficult to obtain because naturally I cannot touch anything gas related.

Im wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and what would be the best way to proceed from here. Is there a course in which I can build my portfolio at the test centre under the supervision of a qualified instructor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rich

Hi Rich,
I am currently in the process of completing my portfolio. I only have 1 more install to complete and 2 more safety certificates then i'll be ready to sit my exams (if portfolio is up to scratch)

You cannot just go and complete a portfolio. As far as I understand, different course centers will have different criteria which you will have to fulfill. For example, i have to do 6 installs, 3 services and 3 safety certificates or 6 services , 3 installs and 3 safety certificates.

Within those jobs you have to carry out, tightness test, flue flow tests, flame pictures, ventilation checks faulting on 3 occasions, unsafe situations, pipe work defects, purging, regulator checks to name a few. You have to have photo evidence of you carrying out the particular tasks...for instances, photo of you carrying out a let-by test or cleaning a burner which you have taken out of a boiler....oh, no selfies are allowed

So the first thing to do, is to get yourself on a course. From my experience, the hardest part will be find a gas safe engineer who will agree to help.

There are companies out there who offer to complete your portfolio but I didn't go down that route as i wanted to learn properly and not just pay someone for the sake of completing my portfolio without gaining any knowledge.

let me know if you have any questions dude...good luck bud....

You could work for nothing for half a day a week a gas lad might help you that way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Question regarding CCN1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock