Search the forum,

Discuss Qualify whilst working another Job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

holtymet

Hello,

I've had a look through numerous threads on here and i feel as though none have answered my particular circumstance, so i thought i'd post this thread :detective:

I am currently in my mid twenties and despite earning an incredible four figure weekly salary, i don't like what comes with working as an IT contractor in an office - many will call me crazy but i believe we are built to move and be active not to sit behind a screen all day!

Anyway, when leaving school i wanted to be a plumber but after passing an entry test ~100% mark with a company, i wasn't selected (employees son's got the jobs) and i never pursued it further, instead i went to university and studying computer networking (some say the plumbing of IT:biggrin5:) - so there must be some reason why I find myself wanting to get into the field!

As I am currently working, I cannot afford to go down the apprentice route as the salary will not cover my bills. Therefore only nights and weekends are when i'd be available. Luckily my local college offer the L2 and L3 diploma in plumbing each a 40 week course.
From what i have learned from reading about, these alone will not deem me a qualified plumber, and that i'd need to complete a L2 and L3 NVQ

My questions are:
how long does each NVQ take to complete?
can I simultaneously do the L2 diploma and L2 NVQ?
would 1 day a week (weekend) be enough on-the-job experience to complete the NVQ's? - I'm offering my time free and have a senior plumber letting me labour for him.
Are there any better routes?
Are there other tests i'd need to take to be qualified such as H&S?

Ultimately I want to qualify in Gas, get experience, run my own company which would hire apprentices.

Thanks

Hello holtymet, welcome to the forum. Regarding the issues you have raised, my advice would be that you go to your local plumbing college where you intend to carry out the studies and get them to give you some answers. They would be in a better position to tell you how long it should take etc.
Hope you get into the field and end up running a very successful business. Charlie Mullins, you have competition.

Last edited:
VI, you may wish to edit a few words my friend or turn the predictive text off.

Welcome to the forum holtymet. It`s gonna be a loooong time if ever that you earn four figures a week doing plumbing mate.

You want your head looking at frankly.
If you leave your current job ensure you have a way back in.

I was once employed and very well paid for it, then I needed a break or go mad

So I`ve had the break

And now I want my old job back!

Every word true.

The grass is always greener......if i was earning 4 figures every week I'd be well chuffed but the reality is I spend more and more time chasing people for money, money they owe me and I need to settle my accounts!

As mentioned, one of the main reasons that I would like to change careers is to not be stuck in an office all day and I find the work to be on-the-whole boring - I mainly find myself browsing the web, which gets boring!

Let me know if I'm being unrealistic but I was thinking that within 3-5 years of qualifying, I'd be looking at earning ~£200 p.d. (this is what the guys my step-dad (a site foreman) works with get Mon-Fri) plus any foreigners on the weekend which would bring me back to the four figure sum.
I agree this does seem a little ambitious but i'm just going off what i've been told by my stepdad.

Also, I believe it'd be easier to pay less to the crown with most going in the sky rocket ;)

Currently, is there a lot of work going for you guys?
Would you recommend staying with a company or go at it alone?
My ultimate plan would be to build a strong network of tradesmen and set up a complete building co.

Hi I am currently doing the level 2 at college in the evenings. You go through the course and get the diploma the nvq comes after having your work assessed in people's homes. The course takes 9 months but can be done quicker, depending on your ability to learn.
It will depend what work you carry out as to whether you will achieve the money you are after. If you work for yourself you can charge what you want but this will also reflect how much work you will have. If you're too expensive you won't receive a lot of work.
Good luck

Work depends on reputation and whereabouts in the country you are.
Conversely that also dictates the rate.
It can be a rat race.
Allow perhaps 10 - 15k for van and tools and insurances etc.
200 per day doesnt sound unreasonable. But there are many experienced engineers with years on the tools earning less so bear that in mind.

Hi I am currently doing the level 2 at college in the evenings. You go through the course and get the diploma the nvq comes after having your work assessed in people's homes. The course takes 9 months but can be done quicker, depending on your ability to learn.
It will depend what work you carry out as to whether you will achieve the money you are after. If you work for yourself you can charge what you want but this will also reflect how much work you will have. If you're too expensive you won't receive a lot of work.
Good luck

Thanks for this info, regarding the 9 months, are you referring to how long the diploma takes or the NVQ,
The college said that it's 40 weeks for the diploma which is roughly the same as 9 months - so I'm assuming you are referring to that?

Say for example i have just finished the 40 week L2 course this week, how would and how long would it take me to complete the L2 NVQ? and would I have to complete the L2 diploma before i can start the NVQ or can I start at the same time.

Sorry, as I said, i've had so much conflicting information!

You would be mad to give up a grand a week...if that is what you earn every week. You can do all that is detailed above and it will mean nothing unless you can get someone to employ you or go self employed - a very uncertain future no matter what you do. As an IT chap you will appreciate how clever the algorithms are and how ubiquitous big data is so I would advise not mentioning making up your income based on tax avoidance on a public forum.

As mentioned, one of the main reasons that I would like to change careers is My ultimate plan would be to build a strong network of tradesmen and set up a complete building co.

Looks like your brain is still programmed to 'Network' as opposed to engage in plumbing per se? You want to build a strong network of tradesmen and set up a complete building company. Well, you don't need to train as a plumber to achieve that. In your current position, you can easily achieve that. MyBuilder, Checkatrade, Bark, etc etc (the list is long). Set up the company and let others do the work. You just sit back and enjoy the rewards.
Good luck and all the best.

Im absolutely with village - absolute sense (for once [emoji12] )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Qualify whilst working another Job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to start off by saying that I have never worked in a construction environment in my entire life, so I am very unknowledge in this area. I have only worked at a coffee shop for 5 years of my life. I am currently doing a Plumbing L2 and next year will start an NVQ L2. For the NVQ I will...
Replies
Views
Was working as a Plumbers Mate for about 6 months and got my Level 2 qualification. Enjoyed the job and wanted to make a career of it. Got into some trouble, lost the job and got sentenced to 19 months prison, did 9 months and now released on license. Job I had won't have me back so need to get...
Replies
Views
I have approx 2 weeks work in kingston i need a qualified plumber to assist me with starting on the 30th may. must be self employed, own tools transport etc. good day rates paid. potential for more work after this job. please get in touch. Regards Alex
Replies
Views
Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few positions, did a bit of freelance and was continually working late hours and evenings unpaid as well as every weekend. I ended up getting burnout and...
Replies
Views
E
Hello All, I`m currently on my level two plumbing course at college and I`m looking for some part time work if anyone could offer me some advice. I`ve been trying to get on an apprenticeship but I`ve had no joy so far, so I`m hoping to gain some experience by working alongside an experienced...
Replies
Views
Ellis J
E
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock