Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Qualifcations in the General Off-Topic Chat area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Reg Man

Reg Man Trusted Plumber GSR

I was thinking of becoming a brain surgeon. No qualifications. But all ok. because if it goes wrong, the patient will know different. So why is it in the gas industry, that people think they can do work with out the qualifications and registration?

2. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

Cos to work on a boiler you need some basic tools & its your boiler.

Would anyone work on their own brain with some screwdrivers out of a Christmas cracker and a hammer from the shed?
    :knife::ihih:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  3. Reg Man

Reg Man Trusted Plumber GSR

Your own Boiler? Tell that to Stacey Rodgers, who's son. Domonic was killed by CO from the neighbours faulty boiler.

4. johnf

johnf Active Member

And they were told by the bloke with the oil boiler that all boilers are fine to work on!

• Like Like x 1
  5. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

Because they are not in the gas industry, but more to the point some people are still prepared to let them work in their homes without checking to see if they are, this despite numerous cases like that of Stacey Rodgers son.

6. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

Always makes me laugh that they have a gas safety week it shouldn't just be pushed for a week which is where Gas Safe fails they are a moneymaking organisation and do not invest heavily enough in preventative measures or education. They penalise those that are qualified or supposedly qualified yet to us it's seems like nothing is done to prevent the DIYer or illegals

• Like Like x 4
  7. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

Is it not the job of the judiciary, prompted by government (us), to make the penalties such that it makes all those concerned think twice.

As far as can see there is no effective deterrent to stop all those involved and that includes those working illegally as well as those who keep them operating by employing them.!!

Blaming Gas Safe is a bit unfair when as we all know cases are put forward to HSE and the like and are simple not pursued, least not until someone is killed.

Just like the rest of the regulations around this industry if they are not enforced then people simple ignore them which is why we are where we are with any Tom, Dick or Harry doing it with impunity.

8. joni os

joni os Plumber

Penalties for homeowners who ignore or fail to check gas safe registration is the way to prevent unregistered work. Legally the framework is in place. Employers responsible for acts of employees. Fixed penalty, like use of mobile phone in car, for failure to record details.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

I totally agree with you Chris, my point with Blame sitting with Gas Safe is that they are the Visual body. I just don't think they invest enougj time effort and money into promoting safe gas work. Where peoples lives are at stake I don't think you can cut corners. Gas Safe should be working with all the big suppliers and all the big merchant so every time you walk into a plumbers merchant or a Screwfix or B&Q it should be Gas Safe literature here there and everywhere and posters stating the penalty if you get caught doing illegal work. I think the fact that I get asked if I am corgi registered about 10 times a week say that Gas Safe is not doing a good enough job promoting gas safety

• Like Like x 2
  10. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

A good start as previously mentioned, would be to stop the sale of gas related parts and equipment to anyone who is not qualified and competent.

The trouble is, that would also stop the money spinning.

The competency tests and exams need toughening up too imo. There are way to many people pass with flying colours when they really are NOT competent at all.

Again, money rules.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

That is exactly the point though isn't it if they really wanted to sort it out they could with a few easy measures but that won't because of the money involved

• Like Like x 1
  12. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

Exactamundo !!!
    All about cash !!

Always is.

The love of money is the route of all evil !

13. zzzjim

zzzjim Well-Known Member

I would expect a backlash - underground market - of cheap GREY imports would pop up ...and hence even worse quality.
    Now what you are working on may not even be genuine ! .. Crime + Money

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ray Stafford

Ray Stafford Guest

I see this more often on social media than any other suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't believe it would save a single life. Not one. In fact, it would probably cost lives.

I have posted at length on this subject before, and won't bore regular posters with repeats, but I will add another point upon which I did not dwell in my previous refutations.

The idea that preventing the sale of (say) a gas cooker hose to a have-a-go-hero will prevent a dodgy installation is based on the entirely false premise that once refused service in B&Q or at his local merchant, joe public will suddenly see the light, promptly give up his penny-pinching ways, and immediately engage the services of a GSR engineer. Sure, some will do that. But a significant minority, denied access to the correct product for the job, will decide that a few feet of garden hose and a couple of jubilee clips will do just as well. The unintended consequence of our "safety initiative" is another house explosion.

The current regime can very legitimately claim to be highly effective in terms of saving lives. The death rate from CO poisoning and/or explosion from natural gas has been steadily descending for years, and in 2011/12 we had our first ever year with zero deaths attributable to natural gas. It regrettably rose to 3 in the following year, but back in the 1990s we regularly used to bury 20 - 30 people a year. In that same year of 2011/12, solid fuel caused 9 deaths - despite the much smaller numbers of solid fuel appliances.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Stanios

Stanios Plumber GSR

Thing is for room sealed boiler to kill someone takes a bloody lot of things to go wrong, its an incredibly safe appliance.

The fact that thousands of boilers get fitted by incompetent clueless and careless cowboys yet still so few accidents happen is a testament to that.