Search the forum,

Discuss Putting wastes in concrete floors... properly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Feel free to mock me for my lack of knowledge, but if you can provide any advice whatsoever, it would be most appreciated as I want to learn which is why I'm asking these questions!

When laying a waste pipe in concrete ground floor as a retrofit (for e.g. a shower tray), I can see see potential for problems, mostly related to the damp proof membrane getting damaged.

As an example, when rectifying a lack of ventilation to a part of my ground floor at my home (known as "Bodge Central"), I discovered that in the porch, the DPM was between the 2" screed and the concrete below. But in my lounge extension, it was below the concrete base (no sand between the plastic and concrete), but someone thought two bits of thin plastic were as good as a single thick sheet so the DPM was easily damaged. In the end I took a road breaker to the lounge floor and put in suspended timber.

When trying to keep a job contained, such as in a customer's house, how would you go about this? Obviously you'd only need to remove the screed plus a proportion of the concrete to get sufficient clearance for a 40mm waste (wrapped in felt?) plus any required fall... I think.

I'd imagine a Kango rather than a road breaker so as to chip up only what is required using a grinder to help if need be, lay the pipe to an even gradient, wrap it in something to allow expansion?, allow for access, pressure test, and backfill with a weak mix.

If the DPM turns out to be just below the screed though... but perhaps that only happens in very amateur situations where building control is not involved?

I'm a bit lost, and I'd like to know what people consider the right way as I see too much of this sort of thing done wrong.

I'm a bit lost, and I'd like to know what people consider the right way as I see too much of this sort of thing done wrong.

There are lots of acceptable ways to construct a floor. BR Part C Section 4:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...achment_data/file/431943/BR_PDF_AD_C_2013.pdf

The problem with making modifications to existing floors is always how to make reliable bonds between the old and the new. My advice would be to Google 'concrete repair contractor' and get a company that knows what they are doing quote for the concrete work.

I see your point. There are 9 and 50 ways of doing it. Trouble is I'd be showing someone a bathroom currently in use and saying 'how much to make a channel between here and that wall and let me put a pipe in it up to a SVP I can't currently see due to a false wall concealing services' and they'd probably laugh at me.

You are right though. It's all wrong in this country. We have builders doing bathrooms and fitting the plumbing (badly). Then they undercharge and can't afford to pay a plumber to do the plumbing work how it needs to be done.

On the reverse side, we have plumbers doing bathrooms and that isn't, strictly speaking, mostly plumbing work either. I tried googling as you suggested and all I can find around here are people who lay drives, erect fences, and supply readymix.

Though I think I'm about to hang up my pipe bender once and for all as, now I'm being offered the bigger jobs here, I'm being told that I cannot use the local tip even as a paid-for service, there are no places I can take waste in less than 1-ton increments (at ÂŁ108 a ton which would seem a bargain if I had more than a car-derived van and zero storage at home) and the council will only collect bulky business waste from my house if I have a wheeled bin (in effect a skip) kept on site

Looks like I'd make more money clearing out the tool storage room and getting a lodger then working as a labourer part time with no responsibility! Or sell the house and get the ---- out of Colchester.

You are right though. It's all wrong in this country. We have builders doing bathrooms and fitting the plumbing (badly). Then they undercharge and can't afford to pay a plumber to do the plumbing work how it needs to be done.

On the reverse side, we have plumbers doing bathrooms and that isn't, strictly speaking, mostly plumbing work either. I tried googling as you suggested and all I can find around here are people who lay drives, erect fences, and supply readymix.

Though I think I'm about to hang up my pipe bender once and for all as, now I'm being offered the bigger jobs here, I'm being told that I cannot use the local tip even as a paid-for service, there are no places I can take waste in less than 1-ton increments (at ÂŁ108 a ton which would seem a bargain if I had more than a car-derived van and zero storage at home) and the council will only collect bulky business waste from my house if I have a wheeled bin (in effect a skip) kept on site

Looks like I'd make more money clearing out the tool storage room and getting a lodger then working as a labourer part time with no responsibility! Or sell the house and get the ---- out of Colchester.

It's called a skip. Every large job I do gets a skip charged to it. Waste problems solved.

Yes, just weird when all you're doing is replacing a bath and you need to spend more on disposing the old one than the cost of the new one. More concerned about the concrete floor on another job

I've had my waste rant... though there's a council meeting on Wednesday I may attend...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Putting wastes in concrete floors... properly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have decided to remove the timber floor boards and joists as they are effected by damp and rotting. Was hoping to infill and have slab and screed floor. There is a gas servile pipe under the floor which enters the property below the joists at the front of the house and comes up under the...
Replies
Views
Planning on moving the bathroom into another room, Bathroom is on the ground floor, concrete floor, Bath and sink wastes are about 1.7M away from the outside wall on different sides of the room. Is it ok to cut channel in concrete to take waste pipes outside, Fitting water underfloor heating...
Replies
Views
Hello, I hope someone can help me. I'm in England. I would like to know if it's okay to bury copper water pipes under a concrete floor. I've tried to look up the regs but's it's like double dutch to me. The pipes will be wrapped in hessian, overlaid with PIR insulation and then screed. I don't...
Replies
Views
N
Hello all. I am totally new to this, so any help would be appreciated. We had a toilet leak, so I pulled out the toiled to see/replace the wax ring. I see the metal ring around the flange was rusted. And It was not bolted to the floor below. I believe I see concrete underneath, but I see a lot...
Replies
Views
Nate n
N
Hello there! I hope your weekend has started well. TL/DR: Should I replace 90-degree bend with a smaller type to increase the fall from the shower tray? I am replacing a bathtub with a 1500 X 800 Sonas shower tray which I will place on 4-inch blocks, probably with some 18mm marine ply on top...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock