Search the forum,

Discuss push button pop up waste plugs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dusty Rhodes

Is it possible to adjust a push button pop up sink waste plug? The two I have both fail to make an effective seal so the water stays in the sink.

Yes, there's a horizontal(ish) bar at the back that connects to a vertical(ish) bar, they are joined with a little union that has 2 screws to hold the bars.
Undo the screw that will allow the horizontal bar to move independantly of the other bar and move it up by a couple of centimetres then tighten back up again.

Last edited:
Oh hang on, you said push button. A picture would help if it's not the type I thought when I posted that.
If you mean a click-clack waste then I don't think you can adjust them, there may be exceptions though.

Last edited:
Many thanks but it is what you call click clack and I cannot find any way of adjusting it. I think it should be sold with a more efficient o-ring.

Depending on the type you have, I have two different answers.

If you are talking about pressing the actual chrome plug down, these are one of the worst plugs ever made, they often get stuck in the closed position, my advice would be to replace them with a more standard type. I prefer the swi flip over type plugs.

On the other hand if you have to press a separate lever usually found on the back of the tap fitting. These can usually easily be adjusted, but there are more than one type.
1. If you can just lift the plug straight up and out you should have a brass screw with a locking nut, just loosen the nut and adjust accordingly.
2. If you have a plug that cant be pulled out, you will need to remove the lever where it enters the back of the waste, below and behind the basin, just undo the, usually knurled chrome nut and the lever will come out, and you will see, usually a white nylon ball and some sort of rubber seal, be careful not to lose the seal. Once removed you can then lift the plug out and adjust accordingly.
Mind you, I have been a plumber for 36 years and have come across at least 10 different types, so good luck.

you can adjust some click clacks

They twist / screw in the middle somewhere.

Not all do it though and I am dragging this from the depths of my memory banks

Many thanks for all your help. Basically it doesn't adjust and is not worth buying. I like the idea of the flip over type. I am trying to get away from the situation where the plug gets lost or hangs on a chain and gets in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to push button pop up waste plugs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock