Search the forum,

Discuss Pumping over query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
If lowering the pump speed has stopped it pumping over I'd suggest adding some system cleaner, and running it round for a couple of weeks.
Then flush it out and refill adding inhibitor.

EUREKA - SORTED !! BG engineer (top man - old school - 34 years experience) turned up and diagnosed the problem within 5 minutes. He confirmed the system was indeed "pumping over, due (as stated by a number of helpful previous posters) to restrictions in the cold feed and open vent section which he quickly identified using a long thin magnet.
He suggested that the offending sections be cut out and replaced, the system be power flushed, a Spirotech fitted (he said BG no longer fit Magnaclean, due to problems with leaks) and inhibitor put in. He "left me" an "all in" price (with lifetime guarantee) - what do members reckon would be a fair price for all this ?
Cheers and thanks again for all the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to work for BG, shop around using the BG quote, although i would say if BG bugger it up they do come back, but their prices are way to high!

They charge £600 for a powerflush alone!!.

No they don't !! What (ballpark) figure would you quote ?

I will reveal the quote I have been given, when I get a few more opinions as to what constitutes a fair and reasonable price for this job. I purposely did not state what BG quoted to stop the "anti BG brigade" just "poo-pooing" the whole thing !!

Cheers.

No they don't !! What (ballpark) figure would you quote ?

I will reveal the quote I have been given, when I get a few more opinions as to what constitutes a fair and reasonable price for this job. I purposely did not state what BG quoted to stop the "anti BG brigade" just "poo-pooing" the whole thing !!

Cheers.

Yes they do

Yes they do

Not on the written BG quotation I am looking at in front of me, they don't !!

Again I would ask, what do you consider is a fair and reasonable price for the work I detailed in post 37 ?

Cheers.

Must admit that I am really surprised that I have only had a single reply to the question I asked in an earlier post (#37 and #42), especially as members on here are not exactly "backward at coming forward" !!

My question is "What would be a fair and resonable (approximate) price to cut out and replace pipework due to restrictions in the cold feed and open vent sections, fitting a Spirotech, power flushing the system and putting inhibitor in ?

Come on all you members of the "anti British Gas brigade" and "local firms" - lets hear from you with firm quotes, so I can compare with the BG quote I have been given for this work !!

Cheers.

Must admit that I am really surprised that I have only had a single reply to the question I asked in an earlier post (#37 and #42), especially as members on here are not exactly "backward at coming forward" !!

My question is "What would be a fair and resonable (approximate) price to cut out and replace pipework due to restrictions in the cold feed and open vent sections, fitting a Spirotech, power flushing the system and putting inhibitor in ?

Come on all you members of the "anti British Gas brigade" and "local firms" - lets hear from you with firm quotes, so I can compare with the BG quote I have been given for this work !!

Cheers.

It's called "killing the conversation"

It's called "killing the conversation"

Please could you explain your comment, as being a new member, I am not familiar with the conventions on here !
I am merely seeking re-assurance that the quote given to me by BG is indeed "fair and reasonable".
Cheers.

No one will give you a quote without first seeing the job.

Get the names of three recommended (friends and family) local heating engineers and ask them to quote.

Can't be bothered to spend any more time on this. The quote from BG (which I was happy with and accepted) was £645 and I am "booked in" for 9 December.
Thanks for all the comments and assistance.

No one will give you a quote without first seeing the job.

Get the names of three recommended (friends and family) local heating engineers and ask them to quote.

Fair comment but many on here deride BG prices without seeing the job !! I have only ever been seeking a "yardstick" to compare with.
Cheers.

For anyone that may be interested, British Gas made a first class job which has fully solved the "pumping over" problem I had been experiencing and I was delighted with the helpful, reasonably priced and professional service they provided !!
Cheers.

Just incase it may help..

Height of vent pipe above water level in cwsc = Height (meters of static head) x 40mm + 150mm (the 150mm is for expansion within the system.)

For anyone that may be interested, British Gas made a first class job which has fully solved the "pumping over" problem I had been experiencing and I was delighted with the helpful, reasonably priced and professional service they provided !!
Cheers.
What did they do ?

EUREKA - SORTED !! BG engineer (top man - old school - 34 years experience) turned up and diagnosed the problem within 5 minutes. He confirmed the system was indeed "pumping over, due (as stated by a number of helpful previous posters) to restrictions in the cold feed and open vent section which he quickly identified using a long thin magnet.
He suggested that the offending sections be cut out and replaced, the system be power flushed, a Spirotech fitted (he said BG no longer fit Magnaclean, due to problems with leaks) and inhibitor put in. He "left me" an "all in" price (with lifetime guarantee) - what do members reckon would be a fair price for all this ?
Cheers and thanks again for all the help.
£350 would be a fair price for this work. Lifetime guarantee don't make me laugh , if you pay them £300 a year they will now include cleaning the system if required.

6 pages spent on somone's blocked cold feed. My word. Glad its sorted for you.

Your issue was correctly diagnosed on page one, post five!!

£650 is a lot of money for what you've had done, but then you can't have expected BG to be cheap.

£650 is a lot of money for what you've had done, but then you can't have expected BG to be cheap.

The (experienced) poster on post # 39 was the only person who was prepared to make an estimate BEFORE i said what I had been quoted !! It's amazing how many "wise after the event " and "anti BG" people there are on here !!

I agree BG are not cheap (but then again cheap, in my experience, usually equates to rubbish !), but for 7 hours work, "peace of mind", first class workmanship, and a "life time guarantee" on all the work, I am content !

Again the work I had done (cost £645) was : Offending sections of the cold feed and open vent pipework cut out and replaced, power flush, a Spirotech supplied and fitted and inhibitor added.

Cheers.

My price was what I would think BG would quote
If your happy with the job you got that's the main thing who ever did the work

The (experienced) poster on post # 39 was the only person who was prepared to make an estimate BEFORE i said what I had been quoted !! It's amazing how many "wise after the event " and "anti BG" people there are on here !!

I agree BG are not cheap (but then again cheap, in my experience, usually equates to rubbish !), but for 7 hours work, "peace of mind", first class workmanship, and a "life time guarantee" on all the work, I am content !

Again the work I had done (cost £645) was : Offending sections of the cold feed and open vent pipework cut out and replaced, power flush, a Spirotech supplied and fitted and inhibitor added.

Cheers.

Only read the thread last night mate....my price would've been the same if i'd've read the thread when u started it.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk

Only read the thread last night mate....my price would've been the same if i'd've read the thread when u started it.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk

Yes I agree, you do expect to pay more with BG, in this cae about 33%.

Cheers.

Yes I agree, you do expect to pay more with BG, in this cae about 33%.

Cheers.
I worked at BG and did powerflushing for years for them and my price would be almost half. I charge £245 for a standard powerflush for upto ten rads, this includes any pipework that is required. £100 extra for filter fitting. I would also give a lifetime warranty if customer pays me the £250/£300 a year they have to pay BG .
normally spend a full day at property.
Thanks.

I worked at BG and did powerflushing for years for them and my price would be almost half. I charge £245 for a standard powerflush for upto ten rads, this includes any pipework that is required. £100 extra for filter fitting. I would also give a lifetime warranty if customer pays me the £250/£300 a year they have to pay BG .
Thanks.

OK, i "give in" and now concede that British Gas and all the fitters who work for them are completely and utterly useless and they always charge exhorbitant fees whereas all "private" gas fitters are brilliant and provide an almost "free" service !! I would obviously expect your "life time guarantee" to include a "call out" whilst you were in the middle of your Xmas dinner !
Have a nice day !
Cheers.

OK, i "give in" and now concede that British Gas and all the fitters who work for them are completely and utterly useless and they always charge exhorbitant fees whereas all "private" gas fitters are brilliant and provide an almost "free" service !! I would obviously expect your "life time guarantee" to include a "call out" whilst you were in the middle of your Xmas dinner !
Have a nice day !
Cheers.
Just trying to point out that the warranty is not as good as you make out.
BG are not as good as most plumbers in my opinion, most of the BG engineers are very young and know very little about system design.
I worked at BG a long time and know how they work.
Sorry if you do not agree ..
Regards

Thanks.

Can anyone "beat that" - indeed is there anyone that would have been prepared to "pay me" for the honour and glory of doing this work !!??
Cheers.

Can anyone "beat that" - indeed is there anyone that would have been prepared to "pay me" for the honour and glory of doing this work !!??
Cheers.
£200 profit for a days work is ok for me.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pumping over query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock