Search the forum,

Discuss Pumping over into F&E in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Am new to this forum so please go easy on me!! :) Am a keen DIYer, completed level 2 plumbing at college some time ago but do not work in the trade.
In the summer i checked out the F&E tank in the loft and noticed it was full of sludge so decided to vac it all out and give it a good clean. Also drained the system down so i could install a new towel radiator in the bathroom. Filled the system and inhibited it. Checked the F&E tank again about a month later and it was filthy again. When the heating fires up and when the pump starts, it pumps over and into the tank for a bit and then stops when the system settles down. The vent is not on the positive side of the pump, the cold feed tees in within 150mm, again on the negative side of the pump. Someone said to me that the cold feed may be blocked which i thought strange as the system fills fine after draining, however, I cut out the pipework and installed a new leg of copper. there was a bit of gunk in the old pipe but certainly not blocked. Had the system cleaned and powerflushed and still it pumps over. I have turned the pump down to speed 2 and it still does it. I raised the vent pipe to 450mm above the f&e tank!!Anyone got any ideas?? Am at a loss of what to try next!?! This was a new build installation in 2003 and may well have been pumping over since day 1 and may be to do with the initial installation. One thing i am not sure of is the air separator that is on the system. The flow from the boiler comes up through the floor into the airing cupboard in 28mm, feeds into the bottom of the air separator, the vent pipe goes out the top in 22mm and the flow to the pump comes off of the side in 28mm. Could the issue be here? Sorry this is a long one but hoping someone can help

Any chance of a few pics of your airing cupboard

Could you seal the system??

Any chance of a few pics of your airing cupboard

Could you seal the system??

I will take some pictures later when i am home.

I could have it converted to a sealed system, however, am just looking to fix this pumping over issue for the time being.

Here is a little diagram that i have put together of what is going on in my airing cupboard which i hope helps.

upload_2017-11-6_14-9-8.png

Hi
Try cutting out the air separator and you will probably find the cold feed,or the entire thing will be blocked, causing your problem.

Hi
Try cutting out the air separator and you will probably find the cold feed,or the entire thing will be blocked, causing your problem.
Cheers for the response, I agree that this is more than likely the issue. Would you replace with a new air separator?

That diagram is exactly how mine is installed, although mine has the addition of the air separator. Have also heard lots of people that say the inverted loop on the cold feed is pretty pointless. Will chop out the AS on the weekend and see what delights await me inside! Cheers for the replies

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pumping over into F&E in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock