Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Pump Problem on Worcester Heatslave in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Robert Tyrrell

Robert Tyrrell GSR

I got called to a breakdown on a Greenstar Heatslave 18/25-OSO-GB yesterday. It had been playing up, intermittently for about 2 weeks - why do people wait until these things escalate?

Anyway. I got there and investigated, starting with the tank filter and working backwards (Based on the symptoms as explained by the customer) but couldn't find a reason for the lockout, at this stage, so I thought I'd check the pump/fan.
    Took the pump off and checked it, and the fan at the same time. Put it back together and replaced the burner.
    When I turned the oil supply back on, it flooded straight through the pump into the combustion chamber!
    Anyone come across this before, and if so how was it remedied please?

I am going away for two weeks on Friday and would like to get my customer's hot water working for them before I go as they are a regular service customer of mine.
    Thanks

2. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

What burner. Dodgy fuel pump stem. Change nozzle, change stem and go from there.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Gazzt

Gazzt Active Member

Yes i agree with simon g sounds like oil pump solenoid valve, also oil pumps can leak through the drive seal. ( where the pump connects to the motor on riello) or ( where danfoss pump connects to the plastic drive between the motor).

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gazzt

Gazzt Active Member

What are the symptoms the customer described ?

5. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR

Perhaps @Best@Best could help you out he's got a lot of experience about things like that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

You will find SimonG has as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Really need this sort of query from a professional away from the general public. Laws are different for gas and oil but unfortunately the outcomes are not.

Good example. Local pub ran out of oil, I went out, found allen keys and screw drivers in the bottom of the burner. Bled the oil through and fired first time. Analyser in and the carbon monoxide was on its way to 3000ppm and all because somebody had adjusted the oil pressure by mistake.

Robert, get yoursen in t'arms

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Gazzt

Gazzt Active Member

Most common callout in winter is the homeowner trying to bleed the oil through the pressure adjustment screw. The black soot pouring out of the flue and a smell you cant get out of your van for weeks with a dirty hoover and flue brushes.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Did three in a week about a month ago. The hoover and van still stink

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Gazzt

Gazzt Active Member

Its the most annoying breakdown, its so messy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Worst thing is everything you have touched will be black.
    Cleaner hose and every screwdriver or spanner.
    Then you go to install a nice shining white new electric shower next day and transfer black soot onto it.
    Really need a set of tools solely for oil boilers. :)
    I think those pressure adjustment screws on oil pumps should be made with anti tamper covers to stop a diyer turning it easily.
    I put a piece of black electrical tape over the pressure adjust Allen screw on Danfoss 21 and 41 pumps

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  12. Robert Tyrrell

Robert Tyrrell GSR

It's a Bentone Sterling burner that's 8 years old.
    I think that the nozzle stem could be the problem as there appeared to be evidence of tampering on a few of the allen bolts.
    I have a spare burner for just this kind of scenario so I will fit the new one, and charge them for it because I don't have the time to strip the burner and repair it. I'm trying to get all my work up to date before I go away for two weeks :)

13. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Just put a new oil pump and nozzle on the burner and that should solve it all. Should only take a few minutes and then set it with analyser.
    Fitting a spare burner probably won't be any quicker.
    On the subject of leaking oil pumps, I notice motor bearings are failing on burners that have the direct pump to motor close connection. It is due to kerosine getting at the first bearing and often almost undetectable passing from the oil pump shaft seal. The Kerosine slight weep tends to evaporate. All Riellos and also burners like Bentone B9, Minor 1, etc will have this problem. I often wondered why the old design type burners, including the Sterling burners that have the rubber shaft drive were rarely having bearing failures, but now sure it is because they are not close to kerosine

14. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

What sort of bearings are we talking here guys? Shielded with grease inside or open faced with or with the grease (Oil lubrication?).

15. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Grease doesn't seem to prevent Kerosine getting into and damaging the bearing. Although I have fixed dry bearings in the past with grease, when I didn't want to remove them, or didn't have same size. Most bearings I am talking about have a snap in plastic cover, but some are open encapsulated bearings, not that either will be sealed to Kerosine.
    Clearly the oil pumps let Kerosine past slightly. Never had much bother with bearings on motors that are far apart from the oil pump, being driven by a rubber drive.