1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

2. WARNING! We do NOT provide advice related to Gas or other fuels to people who are not currently an official registered Heating Engineer. Do NOT ask for advice related to boiler repairs or installs. You need to find a heating engineer instead.

Either seeking or providing advice on UKPlumbersForums.co.uk may result in your account being suspended or removed. These rules are in place to prevent deaths, which can easily occur from messing with heating systems when you're not qualified to do so.

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss Pump or stat in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. tickdoc

tickdoc Member

Hi can anyone please help with a control issue I'm not sure about. Old system no motorized valves or wall stat, just a pipe stat at hotpress. 1 circulating pump for oil boiler and fire. Boiler fires up NP but only for 5 to 10 mins so I thought pump. Householder checked for vibration when boiler turned on, no vibration so thought def pump. Now he says it is vibrating and a little heat in rads since he lit the fire. Boiler still won't keep firing unless u turn boiler stat up. I'm now thinking dodgy boiler stat although its not going onto the high limit and tripping out. Any ideas and thanks in advance.

2. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

One pump for the oil boiler and fire??? That can't be right, unless the system is a DIY bodge.
    I would still say it could be circulating pump. It could be vibrating but not pumping.
    Check directly the pipes at the oil boiler temperature first to see if hot.

3. tickdoc

tickdoc Member

Thanks best, I wud personally like to fix this if I can as the guys father did me a favour with my car before. The old woman who did live in the house for 70 years says def only 1 pump. If the time clock powers the pump when boiler is running, what powers the pump when the boiler is off and the fire is only lit. Is there a sensor from the back boiler. I've no idea only oftec 101 not a plumber.

4. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

This sounds like a DIY installation?

I would recommend you get a heating engineer to look it over for you to rule out any lurking dangers

5. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Definitely sounds DIY. It might be done in a stupid way with primary flow & return from
    fire also linked to rad circuit and maybe some upstairs rads are working on gravity.
    It is the fire side I would be worried about as it is uncontrolled.
    Tell the owner not to light the fire until a heating engineer checks the system and gives advice on any issues. The pump, if it is definitely doing the oil boiler could be replaced to test

• Like Like x 1
  6. tickdoc

tickdoc Member

Thanks for all the input, safety first. While I service, repair oil boilers , replace circulating pumps , motorized valves etc I'm not a plumber so don't get involved. I have done oftec 101 and serviced and repaired quite a lot in the last 11 years. His plumber friend coming out tonight, I still think its pump, its fitted so the bearings won't get lubricated. No pump at boiler , just a pump near the fire and the elderly couple who owned the house insist 1 pump for both oil and back boiler.