Search the forum,

Discuss Pump not shutting down in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.
I have a strange problem. I cannot stop the circulating pump from running on my heating and hot water system.
I have had problems in the past with a Danfoss motorised valve not shutting completely on the hot water side and causing a continuous running of the system. Removing the motor and freeing off the valve, so it would completely close has cured the problem. This time I have checked both valves, hot water and heating, the heating valve was not completely closing. I have freed off both valves to make sure they operate freely and close but the pump still runs. If I take the motor off now the valve looks to be completely closed when either stat is not calling. The room stat is set to the lowest setting, in fact I can hear it clicking so believe it is not calling for heat and the tank stat is in the same position. I can also hear this clicking so assume it is closed. The boiler is set to the lowest position as well, so it is not coming in. I can also hear the boiler stat clicking in and out. The pump continues to run.
Unfortunately I did not have a multimeter with me at the time so have not yet checked if there is any call from either valve when they are closed. I believe the stats are working because I can see the motor opening and closing when the stats click in and out.
I am assuming there is a micro switch in the motor that shuts off the signal when in the closed position. Could it be that the inside of the motor is gummed up and the microswitch is not shutting off the call to the pump.
Sorry to ask the question before checking electrically but this is a holiday home and it will be a few days before we can get back with a meter, so I thought I would post now to try and see if people can help with other suggestions. I have in the meantime shut everything down. Not cold enough here to worry about freezing.
I am an engineer but not in heating so I hope I have explained the problem clearly.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
josh.

If the valves keep sticking I would advise that the system is cleaned then new replacement valves be fitted take it the pump stops when system is not calling for heat ie off at timer.

If the valves keep sticking I would advise that the system is cleaned then new replacement valves be fitted take it the pump stops when system is not calling for heat ie off at timer.
Hi Thanks for posting.
The pump does not stop when when timer set to off on both HW and CH. Pump only stops when I switch off at the wall switch for the system.
josh.

Where is the pump wired from?

If it is wired from the MV's (motorised valves) it could be that the micro switch inside one of them is stuck in the closed position.
There is a permanent live to the micro switch, so the programmer being off will make no difference. That only puts live through the relevant stat and onto the motor in the valve.

Almost certain to be the Danfoss motorised valve head faulty. Micro switch, as above post.
Visually, you won't notice anything wrong.
Personally I would replace all Danfoss motorised valves (complete body and head) with another brand, as I find them unreliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pump not shutting down in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
I've got a heating boiler which heats up the water in a tank located in a cupboard upstairs and then from there I get hot water & hearing. I get hot water ok but the heating doesn't come on when turning the thermostat to a higher temperature. I've got a 2 way motorized diverter valve which would...
Replies
Views
I have an older gas boiler HW heating system with a taco circulator pump for each zone that worked fine last season. When turning it on for the 1st time this season I found a problem with the boiler not running on one of the zones. If I turn on the heat to zone 1 I hear the system...
Replies
Views
Firstly I won't be touching or going anything... I only want advice if this is right.. my partners dad has a aga that is solid fuel unregulated heat source and a oil boiler. The problem the hit water cylinder doesn't have a stat thus why the hot water is roasting hot but there is a pipe stat on...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a fully pumped heating system fitted with a Drayton MA1 diverter, after the summer run the heating stopped coming on, so I replaced the Actuator head, however I have found the actuator is stuck on H (Heating), I have turned down both heating and cylinder stat - still stuck on H. The...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just had my central heating system "upgraded" for a four bed-roomed detached house. The heating company recommended going from the open vented system to sealed / pressurized system, new pump ( UPS3 Grundfos ) all new plastic pipework ( extending ) the 22mm feed and return pipes so no...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock