Search the forum,

Discuss Public liability in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo21

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
What does everyone pay? My renewal is £350.

Plumbing and heating, domestic only.

Yes including gas, right I'm on to Aviva then.

You can do it online
Quotes fast and also purchase online too.

I tried that tradesman direct who claim rediculousy low quotes - it was almost 40% more and also Aviva are a large provider so i was happier with a large name.
Had a bad experience a few years ago with a small unheard of place -tried to walsh on paying out but the ombudsman told them they had to...so never again - big boys only

How much liability you got? Is 1 million enough? I cant remember what gas asge require.

Gas safe want 2 mil usually I believe (or that might be Oftec) I think mine was £500 the last time I did it but that included tools as well.

I will definitely shop around more next time.

I just do domestic and dont contract. 1 or 2 will have to pull papers out

Gas safe dont stipulate an amount. Just they >>>recommend<<< you have a policy. So 1 million is enough for domestic unless your working on mansions lol

da995290bfdaa35c0cca743e76cb1299.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, 5 mill liability, working in commercial property and including gas, electricity, and blow torch cover £ 350 from Trade Direct

Got Axa they got 10% online discount plus 12 months for price of 10 all turned out to be £330 for 2mil plus 7k tools cover.

I could go with MUCH cheaper quote of 80 quid from tradesaver but surely when time comes to claim they would tell me sorry sir we only cover houses under 5m high :stuart:

15 years ago, most councils wanted £10 million to work for them. I go for 2 million, but think I might go and by a pressfit the next time i do any rnli work considering a boat and tractor unit is around £5million to buy now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've just paid for our business to renew for gas, electric and plumbing. £2 liability for me and 3 staff on the tools including employers liability. £568 for the year. Most places I was looking at wanted £1,200 now we have started doing gas. The place we use now have an insurer that is happy to look at the % breakdown by trade for each of your work. As gas work represents around 2% of our turnover it saved us nearly £700 on all the competition.

To those who don't think you need any more than £1m to work in domestic property, worth remembering that the biggest claims on public liability are for when your work injures someone else, not through damage caused by your work. With ambulance chasing lawyers these are the expensive claims!!

We are insured through Local Insurance Broker with offices throughout the UK .

Last edited:
We've just paid for our business to renew for gas, electric and plumbing. £2 liability for me and 3 staff on the tools including employers liability. £568 for the year. Most places I was looking at wanted £1,200 now we have started doing gas. The place we use now have an insurer that is happy to look at the % breakdown by trade for each of your work. As gas work represents around 2% of our turnover it saved us nearly £700 on all the competition.

To those who don't think you need any more than £1m to work in domestic property, worth remembering that the biggest claims on public liability are for when your work injures someone else, not through damage caused by your work. With ambulance chasing lawyers these are the expensive claims!!

We are insured through Local Insurance Broker with offices throughout the UK .

Nice one, I am looking at taking on an apprentice/improver, and my insurer wanted to nearly double my premiums

I suspect if the cheapest insurers were all that bad then there would be millions of claims unduly unpaid.
The fact is many policies are underwritten by perhaps 6 major underwriters.

I suspect it has less to do with the price - but rather more to do with have you heard of them and track record

There's no insurance with boilers

Come to think of it - there's hardly a warranty that's worth the paper it's written on.
Theres no insurance with parachutes and its a poor analogy as there is nothing to suggest a cheap parachute is any less likely to work than an overpriced one

I suspect if the cheapest insurers were all that bad then there would be millions of claims unduly unpaid.
The fact is many policies are underwritten by perhaps 6 major underwriters.

I suspect it has less to do with the price - but rather more to do with have you heard of them and track record
In my experience cheaper insurers either have clauses to wriggle out of paying or their policy is written in such a way that it leaves alot of questions about what is actually covered. The main ones ive come across were heigh restrictions, hot works and tool cover that didnt cover phones tablets or laptops.

In any case it's always important to read the wording.

Depends on what you pay for.
Its all there in black and white and people need to read it and adk questions.
Some who are knocked just dont read the policy properly or tell fibs to get the price down and are astonished when then are refused

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Public liability in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock