Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Public liability for unpaid work experience? in the Insurance for Plumbers area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AWheating

AWheating Trusted Plumber GSR

make your "friends" turn the water back on so its then there fault! and plan your escape well :)

or get insurance, but it will be expensive for a new tradesperson i guess.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JamesJoseph

JamesJoseph Guest

It's strange I know but I think it has something to do with some liability issue .

Regards
    Joseph

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2012
  3. plumb

plumb Guest

As long as you're sensible I don't think you'll have any trouble. Just don't take big risks and ensure you can isolate the water supply quickly if needed. At some point I think we have all done a bit of plumbing for friends and the like without PL insurance. Just make sure your friend knows how to turn off the supply if anything goes pop!

4. aplombier

aplombier Member

I would get insurance before doing anything,
    they may be friends when u start job , but if it goes pear shape and costs them thousands , they will soon sue you

5. lame plumber

lame plumber Guest

my main reason for having insurance is so when it all goes wrong I can keep my House and apartments and someone else pays.

• Like Like x 1
  6. plumb

plumb Guest

I would have to agree - if you stand to lose property then the risk would not be worth it. You wouldn't want the lawyers to get their grubby hands on your hard earned cash.

Price to fix job where no lawyers involved: £1000

Price to fix job when lawyers involved: £10,000 plus £100,000 legal fees.

Agreed!

7. Philipweson

Philipweson Guest

if your doing work for your friend, you could contract out of liability but i would get it in writing first before starting any work, however you cannot contract out of an injury claim, it would be classed as an unfair term and you could be sued so my advice would be to charge for the jobs you do and purchase some liability insurance.

8. Neil K

Neil K Plumber GSR

1) Don't work for nothing, say you'll do the job for half whatever the going rate is. As the wise man once said, if you're prepared to work for nothing then you'll never be out of work.
    2) Take your time, prepare and do the job properly, however easy or hard it looks. Make sure you know where to isolate and make safe in the event of a worst case scenario Have a roll of blue roll or plenty and bring a couple of containers with you to catch water. As the wise man said once said, the man who never made a mistake in his life never learned anything.

Good luck, you'll be fine

• Like Like x 1