Search the forum,

Discuss Proximity of flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Simon. Do you think the regs have been breached?

H basil.
I'm sure my neighbours, or anyone else, would not like an overbearing extension built next to them anymore than I like it.
It seems like the guidelines can be ignored if it makes the job easier & cheaper.

Hmmm,

It upto you argue where the boundary is as it's a shared path. I personally wouldn't be bothered by it as it does look fairly high in your photo. You could request that a plume management kit is fitted, but they look horrible and I would rather plume in my face that looking at a neighbours plume management kit. If it's a worcester bosch the plume could be diverted at 45degrees upwards.

If your really concerned you will have to go to your local authority and argue it, at the risk of upsetting your neighbour. Some things you just have to tolerate unfortunately.

Hi Polly,

If you can prove that the Regulations have been breached in anyway, then you have a case and can demand and alteration of the flue.

There must be an Authority / Organisation that can enforce the adherance to the Gas Regulations.
We have one over here and if a complaint is made, regarding a breach of the Gas Regulations, then the Plumber who installed the unit has to fix the problem, at their expense, to comply with the Regulations.

There can be exceptions made in extreme cases, but if the Regulations can be complied with in a installation, then they must be done to the regulations. If they cannot be complied with then you must apply for a dispensation and have it signed off by a Gas Inspector.

Oz-Plumber

Thanks oz. I've been on to the gas safe people who confirmed the guidance, but the guy I spoke to didn't know if the shared path had a bearing on the matter. I think I need to get back on to them. My view is that the guidelines are there to consider neighbouring properties, so would affect the neighbours the same way, whoever uses the path.

Cheers

Thanks jimbob. Opinions are mixed, it would bother some & not others. I don't think the pic conveys it well.

i don't know if the regs are enforceable regulations or merely guidelines. I understand the flue at a lower level as this is needs an even further distance from the boundary, 2.5, which takes the boundary well into my garden.i'm going to get back onto gas safe.

All of this could have been avoided if the flue had been vented through the roof. The extension was a new build, so I would have thought easy to do.

cheers

Hi Polly,
The regulations would be to the property boundary.
If the flue isn't installed as per regulations then it must be altered.

I have doubts on whether a shared pathway would come into the regulations.

Is the shared pathway on the house / building plans or is it just an accepted thing.
In laymans terms - is it common property?

I don't see why any of the guys on here should be brought into this petty squabble.

Maybe not. There's no need to be insulting though. Better to ignore the thread than go down the route other forums are happy to promote.

You want us to get that rap? I don't.

Thanks buck. The flue is .32 from the boundary. The path is the boundary, but is not owned by me. The path is my only access to my property, & the flue property has a right of way so that they can access the rear of their property.

the flue is 2.1m high, and is less than 2m from my garden.
Do you know if these rules are strictly enforceable or merely guidelines that can be ignored?

Thanks, appreciate your response

Thanks buck. The flue is .32 from the boundary. The path is the boundary, but is not owned by me. The path is my only access to my property, & the flue property has a right of way so that they can access the rear of their property.

the flue is 2.1m high, and is less than 2m from my garden.
Do you know if these rules are strictly enforceable or merely guidelines that can be ignored?

Thanks, appreciate your response
according to the guide it should be 2.5m but manufacturers normaly state 600mm .so its not so clear cut one rule overrides another so it can get complicated. I cant see a real problem with the install apart from the plume annoying you. if I was you I would aproacvh the neighbour and ask if the would fit a plume kit or plume re direction end - if the boiler is a Worcester this option is built in and the end can be twisted as stated on a previous post to 45 degrees . disputes like this are best sought out if possible with the neighbour before involving building regs . the engineer who fitted the boiler may even come back to redirect flue if approached.hope this helps

The house on the other side to me (the other side of the flue house). I am land locked without it, the flue house has a right of way if they need to access the rear of the property.

it does seem to have breached the rules.

time to be realistic here peeps. the extention is built, building regs have probably been involved and signed it off. the path is owned by the extention builder and the op has right of access along it. the flue is high enough not to cause a problem, its only steam you can see and only if you stand on a stool in front of it for quite a while can it have a detremental effect. Gas safe arent going to be worried as its safe iaw their regs, if buildings control have passed it they are unlikely to back track. Sometimes you just have to take a big old chill pill and get on with life. I have people park across my driveway, its aggrevating but you can either live with it, pick a fight and win or pick a fight and get a beating, which isnt going to improve your life any further. chances are if you kick off with the neighbours your life isnt going to get any better and it would seem your main bugbear is the fact someone has built an extention, time to look the other way and get on with life, as you wont win this one.

have a read of Polly's posts, she doesnt like the overbearing extension and thats the real problem!

Quite right lame, I don't like the extension.

Nevertheless, the rule requiring the flue to be .6m from the boundary has been breached, as has the rule requiring a low level flue to be 2.5m from the boundary. When the wind is blowing in the right direction, I will be walking through the steam.

6m from boundary? Wtf? I'm in trouble fitted 1000's much closer than 6m

Hi.
Not much. Not interested. They don't have much if any regard or consideration for me or other neighbours, but I'm the one most affected.

you fuss to much, flat below my house has a flue by the back door at shoulder ht, no one has ever suffered 3rd degree burns or suffered from co poisoning in the 8 years its been there, you need another hobby horse or you will ruin your relationship with all who live near you and then youll stress from that and have to move.

Hi lame.
path is not owned by extension builder, it is neighbour on the other side. I didn't think it would get signed off as does not comply with regulations, but it has. I can only assume the guidelines are only guidelines & not enforceable. Don't know

You need to take it up with building control, they have the final say. No point whinging on here about it as we haven't got any power to change it, and personally couldn't give a toss if you walk through a steam cloud or not.

Sorry if you take offence but reading through the thread it's obvious you have a distinct disliking to this extension as a whole and your grasping onto this flue issue like its going to ruin your life. Sometimes things change and someone else's benefits/actions can have slightly negative effect on someone else. My advise is get over it, its a bit of steam not an incinerator outlet.

You need to take it up with building control, they have the final say. No point whinging on here about it as we haven't got any power to change it, and personally couldn't give a toss if you walk through a steam cloud or not.

Sorry if you take offence but reading through the thread it's obvious you have a distinct disliking to this extension as a whole and your grasping onto this flue issue like its going to ruin your life. Sometimes things change and someone else's benefits/actions can have slightly negative effect on someone else. My advise is get over it, its a bit of steam not an incinerator outlet.

My apprentice!!

I don't like it, feel its too close. If the flue near the flat doesn't bother the people in the flat that's fine, it's also their output, not someone else's being imposed on them. I hope you can see from that perspective.

Bigger things in life to worry about.

If a low level flue had to be 2.5m from a boundary than there's a lot of illegal flues around. I don't think it breaches any rules, or any that will force it to be moved.

With the height the flue has been positioned then I would suggest that the installer has already raised it internally to prevent it being as much of a nuisance if it had been sticking out at 1.8m with a terminal guard.

Your only issue is that on the occasion that the boiler is running and the wind is blowing in the right direction and the boiler is condensing and you just happen to be walking past, then for a split second you will pass through the steam generated.

Get a quote from a Gas safe engineer for adjustment work. Talk to neighbour offering to pay for it. Problem solved. Everyone's happy ! Well maybe ;-)

I don't think you are going to get the answer you are wanting. If you feel aggrieved than pursue through Gas Safe. I don't know if they will charge you to come and look at it though.

I did take it up with building control, guy said it depends where you take the boundary from. That sounds nuts to me. I don't appreciate being fobbed off.

it's not ruining my life, but if I can get something done about it I will, & best do it soon as.

Off you go then....seem to know what route you're taking.

why does anyone think gas safe will give a hoot, it is a building control issue and they have already pased it if the extn is built and lived in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Proximity of flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock