Search the forum,

Discuss Proximity of flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Polly

The property next door to me has recently been renovated, and now has a condenser boiler flue on the wall which runs parallel with the path to my house.
There is a small gap between the properties, so the flue does not actually overhang the boundary. The path is the only access I have to my property. The measurements involved are:
Flue protrudes approx 14cm from wall
The wall to the boundary 42 cm
Therefore the end of the flue is 32cm from the boundary.
The flue is positioned 2.1m high.

The path is 1.3m wide.

Note, the path is owned by the house adjacent to me on the other side. The neighbour with the flue also has a right of way to access the rear of their property but they have a door at the front.

I have been concerned about this since the flue was installed, and hoped that it would not be passed by the building inspector, as it seems to breach the regulations I have seen and contravene EPA

However, I learned the other week that the extension has been approved and the project now complete. The Building inspector advised that the boundary can be taken from any point (ie the middle or far side(ie furthest side away from the wall) of the path) – this sounds completely nonsensical, and would seem to amount to a ‘flexible boundary’.

I find the exposed flue an eyesore, and I am concerned about noise and plumes of steam when the boiler is in use. The extension itself was considered by the planning committee to be overbearing on my property, but not significant enough to refuse planning permission: so to site the flue in such close proximity seems harsh, and at odds with the guidance.

I noticed steam/vapour pouring out of the flue yesterday, which at times filled the path space; I fear this will only get worse as the weather gets colder.

I am also concerned about the proximity of the cloak room & kitchen extractors along the extension wall, but I am finding regulations on these harder to find.

I've approached the institute of gas managers & engineers, gas safe, but can't
Seem to find anyone who seems to enforce the regulations.

I would be very grateful if anyone could provide any advise or suggestions.

Thanks! Polly

image.jpg

The terminal should be 600mm from a boundary, 2m from an opening into your building, and 2m from the boundary if the plume is causing a nuisance.

How you define boundary or nuisance is the crux of this situation. It would be pretty cheap and easy to fit a plume management which would deflect the plume away from the path.

As SimonG has mentioned, it is my view that the flue outlet is high enough and should cause no problem.
If you are that concerned, try and talk to your neighbour (assuming you both get along) and ask if they are prepared to fit a pluming kit?
If they say no, then I'm afraid it looks like you'll have to try ignoring it is there.

flue looks like they have Worcester Bosch boiler , should pluming is disturbing you then install of plume kit could be done +1m plume extension and it will take plume higher ! Speak to neighbour and he will sort it out install should not take more then 1h and materials will be less the £100

There's nothing wrong with the install and I'm struggling to see how a flue at 2m plus could be causing a nuisance. If I were the home owner I wouldn't be shelling out for an ugly plume kit for no good reason.

Problem is if it's a nuisance then the affected party is within rights to request that a plume kit be installed but its going to be swings and roundabouts when their boiler needs an upgrade!!

H Masood. Yes, whether the fact that the path is a shared access is the issue. That said, the arrangement seems to breach the guidelines, the opening is .32mm from the boundary. My thinking is the .6m rule is for consideration of the neighbours. That's how I'm hoping it will be viewed anyway.

thanks again

H Masood. Yes, whether the fact that the path is a shared access is the issue. That said, the arrangement seems to breach the guidelines, the opening is .32mm from the boundary. My thinking is the .6m rule is for consideration of the neighbours. That's how I'm hoping it will be viewed anyway.

thanks again
a pluming kit would bring that down to 30cm

if it's a Worcester boiler the terminal can be twisted to 45degrees.

So they could easily comply. But you could still complain if you find it a nuisance.

Why do you find it so annoying its only c02, water vapour and a few other bits!

I take it you don't have a modern condensing boiler? I hope after all this you don't need to change yours and the only place is exactly the same as the neighbour!

Hi chalked. Thanks for the reply.

The path is my only access to my house. The flue seems to breach the rules as it is .32m from the boundary. The size of the extension is acknowledged as being overbearing on my property.

I will walk through the pluming when the wind is in the right direction. I feel it is just too close.

I don't know why they couldn't have put this up & out the chimney.

thanks again

1) because it was not necessary and
2) there is a cost factor
If I had fitted the boiler, I would have done the same and the thought of using an up & out flue outlet would not have remotely crossed my mind

Hi. I'm afraid i do find it uncomfortably close & intrusive. As I say, the extension wall is agreed to be overbearing. It's not been cold enough yet, but I will have to walk through the pluming when it starts. Not nice. The owners wouldn't like it, but they don't live there, it's a rented property.

Hi chalked. Thanks for the reply.

The path is my only access to my house. The flue seems to breach the rules as it is .32m from the boundary. The size of the extension is acknowledged as being overbearing on my property.

I will walk through the pluming when the wind is in the right direction. I feel it is just too close.

thanks again
sorry but now way these days of using the original flue/ chimney. ( access to joints) I don't think they will move it for you. A far as I can see to make you happier they could extend the flue up the wall to a greater height. But this isn't pretty.

To be honest as people we do not really like other people ?
This is a typical situation of one person not happy because an extension has been built which I am sure has an mpact on their property ?
The neighbour has a right to build but should he have really done it knowing his neighbour was not happy ?
We choose to live on top of each other for some strange reason but that is human nature as when I am away in my camper in the mountains some other camper parks right next to me instead of finding their own spot !
Condensing boilers are a pain and I would not be happy with a plume maybe one day ot will become the norm to discharge at roof level ?
I hate people me !

This is what the pluming kit looks like. Only yours our be higher.
p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 81
I have a combi boiler, the outlet is no where near the flue is issue, and mine is nowhere near as close to a neighbour. If it was causing concern to a neighbour, I would want to get the matter resolved.

from comments made by the OP, it can be argued that the owner was not there when the install took place, so can not be accused of allowing the current flue position, ''knowing that the neighbour did not like it''.

If the flue position poses such a problem, talk to the owner when he/she comes/visits. I know if I was the owner, I would simply tell you I have a Certificate for the install and if you'd prefer a plume kit, pay for the parts and the labour for it.

If its an issue to you, you can offer to pay for a plume kt to be installed, other than that.....

unless your 6 foot 6 there isnt really an issue to argue about

There is as it is annoying !
Like when I am in the middle of nowhere and another camper parks beside me and I am woken up by his eberspascher diesel heating firing up all night I want to go out and block his flue !
I choose to live a life away from people as much as possible

only if you own a few acres of woodland, otherwise £160 a load for dried wood
Plenty of free wood about if you look !
I had an elm tree down last weekend kept our campfire going for 2 days !
National trust woods belong to the people and collecting wood is a human right to stay alive !

only if you own a few acres of woodland, otherwise £160 a load for dried wood
Made me laugh as yes that is what most people do and think but there is another way to live just we all think it is pay ?
I see life in another way now and it is about a bit of hard graft and thinking outside the box !

Plenty of free wood about if you look !
I had an elm tree down last weekend kept our campfire going for 2 days !
National trust woods belong to the people and collecting wood is a human right to stay alive !

not if u nick their Xmas trees, they get really upset :)

Thanks king.

i do find it uncomfortably close. What about that it breaches the rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Proximity of flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock