Search the forum,

Discuss problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steviestaff1

Hi there all i worked with a plumber for 1 year then got paid off he never signed me up for svq even though he said he would i was wondering how i would go about it also i know that you dont need nvq to be self employed in the industry but can you still go for gas safe certs after a suitable course even though you have no plumbing certs thanks

Hi,

I suppose you can't really blame the plumber, and you're on your own now.

I'd contact a couple of training centre's and take it from there. You may get funding to go through the SVQ too in this climate. Lots of train2gain funding going about.

Just be aware that there is no level two in the Scottish Vocational System so you will need to sign up for an SVQ level three. They should expect you to have an employer as it is not a qualification that can just be taught in a college environment, it needs workplace evidence too.

Don’t be fooled into thinking that because there are no qualification requirements to call yourself a plumbing and heating engineer it is easy. Anyone on this site will tell you it is hard work and you have to be good at it all the time if you are going to make a good living out of it.

Word of mouth by customers can be bad for business as well as good particularly if they are tell their friends that you are incompetent, bad news travels much faster than good.

Be very careful about just becoming gas safe registered as you will need to be able to connect a gas boiler to the wet system and if you have little or no plumbing skills you could find you are not able to operate competently and therefore make a reasonable living.

If you are serious about this becoming your career for the future you will find that there are plenty of professionals who are passionate about good standards who will want to help, but only if they think you share their passion and are treating it professionally too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock