Search the forum,

Discuss Problem with thermostat, diverter valve or something else? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mouse<:3

Hi all,
Hoping you can help me.
We have today had an issue with our central heating. Both central heating and hot water were working fine yesterday, but today went to turn the central heating on and...nothing. When we turn the hot water on, on the other hand, boiler turns on, heats up and hey presto we have hot water. After reading up on it all night it looks as though it could either be that the thermostat has finally had it and needs replacing, or possibly the diverter valve has gone which an engineer will need to fix.
The termostat does click to turn itself on, but does this mean that it is definitely working? It is quite old.
Or could the diverter valve be the issue?
We have a baxi solo 15 he a, which is about 5 years old.
May be worth noting that when we switch the central heating on downstairs it doesn't trigger the boiler to turn on regardless of thermostat temp, but when we turn the hot water on, it does trigger the boiler to turn on. When hot water has been on for a while and presumably reached temperature the boiler switches itself off until it feels the need to switch back on.
Hoping you can help point us in the right direction!
Thanks

Check if pump is running when calling for heat. If running, suspect flow switch on boiler, for which you require gas safe engineer. However, if pump doesn't run then malfunction is external to boiler and you can check why live signal to fire is not reaching boiler/pump.
Programmer, thermostat and motorized valve can be checked at wiring centre, but be aware you are working on live 240 volt system and stay within your competence.

Thanks for your replies both.
Yes it is a heat only boiler.
We left the heating and the hot water on last night, on the off chance it might come on (as someone had mentioned elsewhere on the Internet with this same problem that it had come on overnight), and miraculously it did come on, and all radiators were on when we woke up this morning. Which although is good news, leaves us even more baffled as to what the problem was and whether it could be a recurring thing or one off.
If you have any ideas it would be appreciated, just in case it happens again!
Thanks

Get to know your wiring centre and identify how each part of your system is connected to it. If, as is often the case, instead of a wiring centre you have a birds nest of wires and connectors stuffed into a standard electrical back box then invest in a 10 way wiring centre and get it wired in recommended manner. If fault reoccurs cause can then be easily established.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Problem with thermostat, diverter valve or something else? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a heating system comprised of skirting radiators that form part of a loop from the boiler, round the house and back. Some rooms get warmer than others despite closing off the skirting radiator heat vent. They are designed to house the finned heating pipe and a return pipe, the latter...
Replies
Views
Hi,

Our heating stopped working today. We've got a Veissmann boiler that's under a year old, and an older Megaflow cylinder, and two diverter valves (all about 10 years old). We also use a Hive thermostat.

When I boost the hot water with Hive, the receiver near the boiler shows it's...
Replies
Views
Trying to find out exactly what happens when my system boiler is called to supply the radiators and hot water cylinder at the same time. For example today, whilst the boiler was on heating the water, the room stat triggered the boiler to supply the rads. The diverter valve installed in the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the outputs goes to a 2 port diverter prior to the Megaflo (I believe this is some safety feature). I have run into an intermittent problem where some...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock