Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Pressure testers (advice please) in the Plumbing Tools area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. finchy01

finchy01 Plumber GSR

I've never bothered with pressure testing before because my soldering is normally pretty good. I'm currently doing a full system from scratch though and the builder got all the materials. Bar the tails the whole lot is in barrier and I'm not happy with a lot of the joints. I have a horrible feeling it's going to sound like the 1812 overture with joints popping everywhere. I therefore popped out today and grabbed a Stanley compressor but think I'm going to have to adapt the hose end to fit a bit of 15mm. Has anyone used these or the proper rothemberger hand one? It's only 8 dads but I don't fancy sitting there with the rothemberger one pumping away for an hour to pressurised it. Any experience you have with either of them would be welcomed. Ta.

2. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

Water test or air?

3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Can't do air past 0.5 bar sorry to say time to pick up a water test kit

• Like Like x 1
  4. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I have the REMs one , for cirtain jobs, I wouldnt be without it .

Could you hire one if you dont fancy investing

5. Allgoode

Allgoode GSR

As above don't do air above 0.5 bar, there's a lot of stored potential energy in a charged system should anything blow off.
    With water fill & bleed first before connecting in rothenberger water rig to pressurise system.
    Cheers,
    Andy

6. finchy01

finchy01 Plumber GSR

Wow. Thanks for the rellies. The couple of times I've seen other plumbers doing it when contracting they've air tested it upto 4 or 5 bar using a compressor. I was just going to crack on and do that. Sou d's lime that's not a good idea! I was under the impression the rothemberger one was air too just hand pumped.

7. steadyon

steadyon Active Member

Some of the plastic pipe / fittings manufacturers expect a pressure test at 10bar (or more) for around 45 minutes. In part this is to make sure the grab rings bite into the pipe.

You cannot safely pressure test this with air for the reasons mentioned in earlier replies, i.e. the huge potential energy stored in compressed air. It needs to be done with a hydraulic (water) test. Fill the system with a hosepipe to avoid excessive pumping, then increase and monitor pressure with something like a Rothenberger RP50.

8. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

+1 for the RP50. I use one several times a day which is surely more than any plumber out on site would use it and we get about 3 years out of one before needing to replace any washers or seals. Even if it was used once a day such a pump should last many years.

9. AWheating

AWheating Trusted Plumber GSR

Imagine the pipe work being a very large air gun and a fitting being the bullet and you get why it's a bad idea. Hydro test, can get a rp50 copy from eBay for about £40-50