Search the forum,

Discuss Pressure drops when 650 litre buffer tank is filled with water but no drop with air in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pressure drops when 650 litre buffer tank is filled with water but no drop with a

All pipework, apart from the underground legs, is metal with all metal fittings. The underground legs are all plastic - Upanor undergound insulated central heating pipe - terminated at all ends with metal fittings.

metal screwed black iron or like snows link?

Re: Pressure drops when 650 litre buffer tank is filled with water but no drop with a

If it's piped direct have you checked the heat exchanger on the boiler.

There could be an internal crack that either opens under pressure or heat.

I am clutching at straws now as you can tell but it could be possible in my minds eye. My real eyes haven't seen the job.

Can we have pictures ?

Someone said earlier to pressure test with water to 10 bar. Have you done that and looked everywhere including inside the boiler combustion chamber. I know it's a long shot but it is not impossible.

What capacity does the expansion vessel for the 650 buffer have ?

It will say on the side on a label. If no label, can you post measurements. Circumference or diameter along with the height.

Also, what size of pipe connects it to the buffer ?

Also, what pressure is that expansion vessel charged to ?

If it's piped direct have you checked the heat exchanger on the boiler.

There could be an internal crack that either opens under pressure or heat.

I am clutching at straws now as you can tell but it could be possible in my minds eye. My real eyes haven't seen the job.

Can we have pictures ?

Someone said earlier to pressure test with water to 10 bar. Have you done that and looked everywhere including inside the boiler combustion chamber. I know it's a long shot but it is not impossible.

In recent testing it was only the buffer tank that was losing pressure. As the buffer tank is isloated from the rest of the system during this phase of testing, any defects within the boiler would be irrelevant.

To recap, there are five sections in the sealed part of the system. (1) boiler (2) expansion vessel (3) buffer tank (4) leg one underground to house (5) leg two underground to a separate building. All five sections has its own pressure gauge. By isolating different sections we should in theory be able to determine which section is losing pressure.

DSCF4430.jpgDSCF4466.jpgDSCF4531.jpgDSCF4460.jpg

Last edited:

What capacity does the expansion vessel for the 650 buffer have ?

It will say on the side on a label. If no label, can you post measurements. Circumference or diameter along with the height.

Also, what size of pipe connects it to the buffer ?

Also, what pressure is that expansion vessel charged to ?

The expansion vessel is 300 litres, connected directly to the back of the boiler. See photograph for pipe sizes. The expansion vessel is charged to 1.5 bars.

Isolate the buffer including plugging all points of entry and test to 7 or 8 bar pressure whilst full of water.

Last edited:

What fitting on top of boiler ?
And the pressure release at expansion hasn't blown at all ?

Isolate the buffer including plugging all points of entry and test to 7 or 8 bar pressure whilst full of water.

As the pressure has not dropped in the buffer tank since 20 Sep 2016 1012, the installers today decided to bring the boiler, expansion vessel, buffer tank and leg one into circuit, and start the boiler to see what happens. I will be monitoring the pressures over the weekend.

What fitting on top of boiler ?
And the pressure release at expansion hasn't blown at all ?

Did you mean "boiler" or buffer tank?

At the very top of the buffer tank the pressure gauge (see old photo) has been replaced with an automatic bleed.

The pressure release at the back of the boiler has not blown since testing during installation in 2014.

Attachments

• IMG_20160920_162832.jpg
    IMG_20160920_162832.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 40

Would it not be advisable to remove AAVs whilst pressure testing.

What are AAV's?

The system is being run at normal operating pressure over the weekend, so no excess pressure is being applied.

Last edited:

What are AAVs?

The system is being run at normal operating pressure over the weekend, so no excess pressure is being applied.

Automatic Air Vent (Bleed) as you stated had been fitted, designed to let air out and consequently reduces pressure in the system.

Automatic Air Vent (Bleed) as you stated had been fitted, designed to let air out and consequently reduces pressure in the system.

Thanks for the observation. The red plastic cap at the top of the AAV is I think temporarily screwed closed.

Sorry buffer

In recent testing it was only the buffer tank that was losing pressure. As the buffer tank is isloated from the rest of the system during this phase of testing, any defects within the boiler would be irrelevant.

To recap, there are five sections in the sealed part of the system. (1) boiler (2) expansion vessel (3) buffer tank (4) leg one underground to house (5) leg two underground to a separate building. All five sections has its own pressure gauge. By isolating different sections we should in theory be able to determine which section is losing pressure.

View attachment 27395View attachment 27396View attachment 27397View attachment 27398

Looks like an eta boiler and buffer
Where is the job

Not read through but if theres a vent with a ball in it would float up when full of water but not air.

There is no vent and no ball because it is a sealed system as far as the two heat exchangers in the two properties being heated.

All I can suggest here is (if you already have not)

1. Isolate each of the 5 sections.
2. Test each section individually (you mentioned earlier testing to 5bar with air I call that a bomb) use water.
3. You should now have narrowed it down to 1 section.
4. Losing that much pressure over that volume of water will be noticeable.
5. If there is pressure loss and no evidence of water then you must have a faulty pressure gauge or that its passing back through any isolation valve you've turned off. So first change the ball valves.

In my opinion and im guessing because like the other guys here im not infront of it, id say your losing it of one of the legs that are out of view or youd see it...only Paul Daniels can make things disappear and im afraid hes no longer an option.

All the best.

a wild stab in the dark, is the buffer heating a dhw cylinder? maybe a leak on the coil?

All I can suggest here is (if you already have not)

1. Isolate each of the 5 sections.
2. Test each section individually (you mentioned earlier testing to 5bar with air I call that a bomb) use water.
3. You should now have narrowed it down to 1 section.
4. Losing that much pressure over that volume of water will be noticeable.
5. If there is pressure loss and no evidence of water then you must have a faulty pressure gauge or that its passing back through any isolation valve you've turned off. So first change the ball valves.

In my opinion and im guessing because like the other guys here im not infront of it, id say your losing it of one of the legs that are out of view or youd see it...only Paul Daniels can make things disappear and im afraid hes no longer an option.

All the best.

Could you please read the whole thread.

have scan read, my apologies. good luck

what volume is the buffer?, why are you cold filling to 2.5 bar, should only be about 1 bar, possibly 1.5 for system with Kamstrup heat meter. only having 0.5 bar expansion on a system of 3000 ltrs is very likely to cause is to blow off. It doesnt take much of a leak at 80 degrees to lose that much pressure, and it will evaporate quite quickly. Also looking at pic 4, the strainer is upside down. Im not sure what the water regs are in Suffolk but in North Yorks, any system over 45kw is required to have an automatic filling system.

what volume is the buffer?, why are you cold filling to 2.5 bar, should only be about 1 bar, possibly 1.5 for system with Kamstrup heat meter. only having 0.5 bar expansion on a system of 3000 ltrs is very likely to cause is to blow off. It doesnt take much of a leak at 80 degrees to lose that much pressure, and it will evaporate quite quickly. Also looking at pic 4, the strainer is upside down. Im not sure what the water regs are in Suffolk but in North Yorks, any system over 45kw is required to have an automatic filling system.

Sorry for the slow reply. I did not receive a notification. Thanks for your observations.

The buffer is 650 litres. I am the customer/end user, not the installer/plumber. The pressure switch now installed (not shown in photos) is set to inactivate the boiler at 0.6 bars, so 1.0 bars would not provide much leeway. The installers decide on the pressures for testing purposes, not me. I think the normal operating target is 1 to 2 bars, the upper limit being the blow off point on the buffer of around 2.8 bars. The heat meters are Sontex.

Where do I find the strainer are you referring to? I did not know there was one.

Are saying that there should be an automatic topup of mains water if the pressure drops too low? I have not heard of that before.

Sorry for the slow reply. I did not receive a notification. Thanks for your observations.

The buffer is 650 litres. I am the customer/end user, not the installer/plumber. The pressure switch now installed (not shown in photos) is set to inactivate the boiler at 0.6 bars, so 1.0 bars would not provide much leeway. The installers decide on the pressures for testing purposes, not me. I think the normal operating target is 1 to 2 bars, the upper limit being the blow off point on the buffer of around 2.8 bars. The heat meters are Sontex.

Where do I find the strainer are you referring to? I did not know there was one.

Are saying that there should be an automatic topup of mains water if the pressure drops too low? I have not heard of that before.

Automatic top ups can introduce fresh water into your sealed heating system and causes oxidising(very bad). U needa sort out the leak!!!!
1.. If xpan ves is set at 1.5bar then your sealed system should be the same pressure. Pres drops can be caused by any one of your blow offs(exp relief valves) expelling water through pipework to outside where it cant be noticed(check tundish is dry). Blow offs arent accurate(less 3bar)
2..One off isolating valves letting water through when meant to be closed.
3..Pin hole in any coil fitted to buffer.

Automatic top ups can introduce fresh water into your sealed heating system and causes oxidising(very bad). U needa sort out the leak!!!!
1.. If xpan ves is set at 1.5bar then your sealed system should be the same pressure. Pres drops can be caused by any one of your blow offs(exp relief valves) expelling water through pipework to outside where it cant be noticed(check tundish is dry). Blow offs arent accurate(less 3bar)
2..One off isolating valves letting water through when meant to be closed.
3..Pin hole in any coil fitted to buffer.

There are no automatic top ups.

What leak? The problem is that there was no leak. There were unexplained pressure drops, fast enough drops to switch off the boiler within a couple of days, that stopped dropping during testing when air replaced the water. The whole system is now filled with water and is up and running with everything connected and working.

There are only two blow offs, one on the buffer tank, and one on the boiler in case of excess heat. They are not blowing off.

There are no isolating valves that are turned off.

There are no coils.

Is this still going on ?
I've not looked at this thread for weeks.

Is this still going on ?
I've not looked at this thread for weeks.

It's still going on in the sense that the cause of the drops in pressure is unresolved. It's as if replacing the water with air magically stopped the pressure drops. This is logically not possible. No one who has looked at the system and no one in this thread has come up with a plausible explanation.

The system is now working and is being monitored for pressure drops. So far so good.

It's still going on in the sense that the cause of the drops in pressure is unresolved. It's as if replacing the water with air magically stopped the pressure drops. This is logically not possible. No one who has looked at the system and no one in this thread has come up with a plausible explanation.

The system is now working and is being monitored for pressure drops. So far so good.

have you pressure tested the system yet?

Wierd !

Air will obviously contract a lot. So the temperature of air put in, once stabilised will drastically change pressure just like testing a large gas installation but you've thought of that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pressure drops when 650 litre buffer tank is filled with water but no drop with air in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated house (4 bathrooms is tragic). Current set up is: A hot/cold mixer in the main ensuite which is ok as long as you don't run anything else. One electric...
Replies
Views
Low hot water pressure Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone is able to shed some light on my situation before I have to call out the professionals. We've been in our house for over 3 years now, when we moved in the hot water pressure was pretty good (confirmed by a retired plumber family friend)...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have solar panels for our hot water, so we have the main water tank in the airing cupboard, plus a small pressurised (I think) tank. The smaller one has been leaking for several years leaving rusty water on the outside & on towels in the cupboard. The system also keeps losing pressure...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys I have a combi boiler. I havent used it for over a year. However when I came back to the property I had to pour boiling water over the condensor pipe outside as it was frozen as I was unable to get the rads on. Which worked. So it heats up etc, no issues whatso ever. ( I am not using...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock