Search the forum,

Discuss Powerflushing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Super Moderator
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Morning all just trying to see if I can start a conversation on "professional" powerflushing.

Went on the Kamco training course yesterday,which I have to say is extremely good, definitely learned some stuff I didn't know so well worth the trip.

I have several systems coming up that are badly in need of flushing, I have a kamco machine now but am sadly bereft of testing equipment.

What are people's thoughts re things like PH and TDS meters?? Do you get what you pay for ???

i was borrowing meters from my mate previously and he got them both in a set for about £20. PH was pretty much spot on when compared to litmus paper and TDS gave readings within tolerance when compared to tap water once system cleaned?? Would we just be talking the spread of readings i.e. On a cheap set it would be a much narrower less precise scale??? I know the old adage of buy cheap buy twice but how inaccurate can these things be??

im just trying to find if anyone knows of a testing set that is of a suitable quality with a competitive price (Ray???). Or what people's thoughts are on water testing equipment

cheers

Systems got flushed before TDS meters, in the same way that radiators were balanced before infrared non contact thermo guns became readily available. However, when selling a service, meeting clients expectations must be a consideration. A cheap <£10 TDS meter and strip of litmus papers will meet expectations, leaving time and money to be invested in equipment of greater use to the flushing process.

Totally see your point mate. My kind of overall feel with flushing though is that people like to see something for their money. That's why I always use a magnacleanse in sequence with powerflushing to show the muck being pulled from the system. I guess it's smoke and mirrors, you and I both know that if the Magnacleanse wasn't there the muck would just be going down the drain but when the customer can see in front of them the benefit to the flush they are more likely to trust your judgement and you as a business and hopefully generate more work. In addition with this seemingly never ending spate of manufactures trying to wriggle out of guarantees by using these meters and recording it on some form of certificate you are kind of covering all bases and showing that you have taken the flush and any subsequent install seriously. Once again I know you could just make up the figures but these are likely to be the people that don't commission boilers properly and probably aren't even Gas Safe to do it in the first place. I am all about being professional and looking professional. As well as covering my arse

Sorry to bump but any other thoughts guys. Cheers Joni. Two old boys At my merchants told me that they never bother with water testing, but these were the same two know alls that were in there bending the owners ear that their warranties claims were Being dismissed by manufacturers. I just like belt and braces. I don't care if a job takes me an hour or two longer if I know it's right

Are you planning on going into the powerflushing in a big way? What chems are you planning on using?

Not massive scale but it's another string to my bow and I do have. Lots of queries about them

Tbh don't test as don't see the point unless you want to empty your bank account on testing stuff also another thing to get calibrated

If you want to invest in something go for a decent thermal imaging cam

Yeah i did think that Shaun. Someone said the ones that flush into your phone aren't bD

Yeah i did think that Shaun. Someone said the ones that flush into your phone aren't bD

Flur one very good but not good if you have a case as you need to remove the case for it to work

I used to use an acidic cleaner followed by neutralising chemic after and test with PH paper.

Caused a few issues though and now i'm back to good old F3 and F1

Occasionally use Kamco machine but not as often. Only used now if someone specifically needs it or boiler is busted and its urgent.

I find the old ways are good. F3, leave it in a week and get it hot then drop it out.

More often than not mine are boiler swaps with a busted boiler so no heat. Surely we should still be testing that there is a change in the water? Going back to the cover my arse comment. I know several guys that plug in the powerflusher then literally don't touch the system other than to change direction and dump the dirty water out. Do we not owe our customers a bit more in terms of service if we are charging a decent wedge??

More often than not mine are boiler swaps with a busted boiler so no heat. Surely we should still be testing that there is a change in the water? Going back to the cover my arse comment. I know several guys that plug in the powerflusher then literally don't touch the system other than to change direction and dump the dirty water out. Do we not owe our customers a bit more in terms of service if we are charging a decent wedge??

The thing is how many people other than bg do a power flush on a swap if no problems

I don't just use big mag and x800 or adey and run for 2-3 hours

It comes down to who your competition and what are they pricing for

Sorry mate that wasn't a dig at anyone on here I'm just trying to market the service but ensure that I offer it in as professional a way as I can. I have a small estate by me which I assume was all installed by the same guy and 12 years down the line all bar 3 out of 20 something houses have extremely poorly installed open vented systems which are filthy. eight or nine of them have the same landlord and he has asked for them all to be sorted properly so that is a good little earner but I want to obviously correct the systems first and then give him something in terms of works carried out and comparative cleanliness before and after figures if you will. I may be over thinking it as any of us here would be able to clearly see the difference between a clean and a dirty system but I just wonder if the customer should expect more?? Maybe not?!?!

Sorry mate that wasn't a dig at anyone on here I'm just trying to market the service but ensure that I offer it in as professional a way as I can. I have a small estate by me which I assume was all installed by the same guy and 12 years down the line all bar 3 out of 20 something houses have extremely poorly installed open vented systems which are filthy. eight or nine of them have the same landlord and he has asked for them all to be sorted properly so that is a good little earner but I want to obviously correct the systems first and then give him something in terms of works carried out and comparative cleanliness before and after figures if you will. I may be over thinking it as any of us here would be able to clearly see the difference between a clean and a dirty system but I just wonder if the customer should expect more?? Maybe not?!?!

:D the thing you have to think of will he understand all the td values or a pic that he can see of sludge in the rads

I didn't know you had such strong morals Riley!

Was gonna offer you some knocked off chems but I'll keep my gob shut...

I only charge the time it takes and chemic used If I don't use machine.

If I use it it's done as you would have learnt on course. proper job and I charge the day because it will take a day to do it properly and the machine gets charged for too,

In my experience power flushing can cause probs so I only do it if it really needs it.

Also, the water in my area is really good so luckily we don't have any major issues.

If system is installed correctly there's no real issue with corrosion.

I did find that the Acid cleaner was a nightmare though.

One job I did years ago, I'm flushing system and machine levels started dropping so I topped it up but they kept falling, this is a good half way into job by the way and using Acid.

I switched off and ran up into loft thinking Stop end had come off vent pipe but no !

Run around house, sweating looking for where water was going.

The boiler must have been on the verge of leaking through heat ex ( oil Boiler ). and the Acid and higher pressure cleaned out the corrosion inside the boiler and it started peeing out the side. Floor wet, Acidic water, grumpy customer......Felt like crying. End of acid cleaners.

:D the thing you have to think of will he understand all the td values or a pic that he can see of sludge in the rads

You make a very good point mate. I'm kind of thinking half customer half manufacturer as They should obviously understand the water requirements and I can prove to them that what I've done meets there requirements

You make a very good point mate. I'm kind of thinking half customer half manufacturer as They should obviously understand the water requirements and I can prove to them that what I've done meets there requirements

In manufacturing terms they won't care as seen before they slated the water quality and it was fine but they still didn't support warrenty

So I read it as they don't offer warrenty full stop and all you can do is your best

No that's fair enough mate to be honest this is the sort of discussion I was hoping for so thanks all

At the very least if the customer knows you have done it and they have the data then it takes you out of the blame game if the boiler manufacture refuses to honour the warranty plus I guess it could help you in the word of mouth recommendation sense.

At the very least if the customer knows you have done it and they have the data then it takes you out of the blame game if the boiler manufacture refuses to honour the warranty plus I guess it could help you in the word of mouth recommendation sense.

But also could go the other way if they believe the manufacturer??

?, explain more.

If the manufacturer says its hasn't been flushed proper and they believe them over you could have the reverse effect on your respect and customer satisfaction

If the manufacturer says its hasn't been flushed proper and they believe them over you could have the reverse effect on your respect and customer satisfaction

Ok with you now. But if customer see`s you in the house with the machine running for however long and you give them a copy of the before and after level readings in the invoice surely that and a nice new boiler helps you. Not saying your bulletproof but every little bit helps.

Ok with you now. But if customer see`s you in the house with the machine running for however long and you give them a copy of the before and after level readings in the invoice surely that and a nice new boiler helps you. Not saying your bulletproof but every little bit helps.

True but again it's like why people keep going with British Gas instead of a local engy

True but again it's like why people keep going with British Gas instead of a local engy

Reckon there are 4 reasons

It`s down to a name they feel they can trust & the power of advertising, the dread of selecting from unknown indies and ignorance on their part.

I used to use an acidic cleaner followed by neutralising chemic after and test with PH paper.

Caused a few issues though and now i'm back to good old F3 and F1

Occasionally use Kamco machine but not as often. Only used now if someone specifically needs it or boiler is busted and its urgent.

I find the old ways are good. F3, leave it in a week and get it hot then drop it out.

Is for you F3 / F1 the best chemicals ? Hat about sentinel or mac ?

As long as they're buildcert passed then they should be fine

How about draining and re filling the system ... I do not think that the majority of us plumbers puts a x100 inhibitor bottle inside the system after it's been drained.

I always carry things like that with me to do so but I don't think a lot of us doing it

I don't know mate the majority of people on here always remind a DIYer to do it I would be surprised if they didn't do it themselves

I don't know mate the majority of people on here always remind a DIYer to do it I would be surprised if they didn't do it themselves

Riley ,I have seen and experienced a lot of different engineers that they do not care much. Nowadays a lot of people work in quantity ways which means : going to a customer / in and out / getting paid and never go back. That's their way of doing a business.

The engineers who wants to build a good company with good reputation are different

That's the thing my friend. As long as I'm doing it properly others can do what they want :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Powerflushing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The system is about 20 years old and has never been cleaned. The radiator water looks like tar and several radiators are warm at top and cold at the bottom. What would be the best steps to clean the system? I have spoken to several engineers. One only recommends a magnacleanse due to being a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have recently returned to the industry and have applied to Octopus for the upskill role into air-source heat space installs. Does anyone work for them on here? Just wondered what people's thoughts were on them as a company and if anyone is fitting air source what they think of this...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi all, Does anyone have any feedback as to which is best. Running the pipe from the outdoor gas meter to a new boiler on an outside wall or run the pipe under the floor (suspended timber) which is our existing setup and the new boiler is being sited in same location as old. I ask just in...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I think was very... ambiguous... advice. 12yo boiler with the following readings on the analyser printout: O2% = 4.1 CO ppm = 192 CO2% = 9.5 Ratio =...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock