Power tools?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Tools' started by macka09, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss Power tools? in the Plumbing Tools area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

Where do most of you buy your power tool gear?

2. kris

kris Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Where ever the best deals are Macka . Ebays good for a deal or 2 .

• Like Like x 1
  3. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

I know but it's the trusting there legit that's what bothers me. I'd like warranty.

4. kris

Just remember Macka just because it's ebay doesn't neccassarily mean it's second hand, all I buy are brand new from companies selling on eBay and all come with the normal warranty,

5. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

Any recommendations.

6. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Use the ask a question option to check this before buying and keep the reply incase the warranty doesn`t arrive. Not everything you get on fleabay is as described.

7. plumben

plumben Plumber

As said where ever the best deal is,
    I normally use Screwfix or tools station as I know I can just go in and pick it up that day or next day and it's easy if anything missing or broken/brakes

8. kris

Been buying on eBay for years but try to stay away from people as I tend to buy off companies who simply use eBay as a selling point, I've had some great deals , some companies I'm a regular too, like folkstonne fixings and transtools, if anything goes wrong ebay WILL always pay u and honour your buy, had couple of dealings with pure fannys and ebay always paid me back,

9. Killy Bing

Killy Bing Plumber GSR

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  10. stevetheplumber

stevetheplumber Plumber GSR

think you need to know what you want and then shop around ITS toolstation poofix etc

11. gasmanrob

gasmanrob Plumber GSR

Its
    ffx
    thanet tools
    axminster tools
    screwfix
    tool station
    and boot fairs

• Like Like x 1
  12. pipeman-

pipeman- Plumber GSR

Its
    D&M tools
    ffx
    tool net

13. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

I'm thinking about renting some of my power tools from hilti.

14. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

Would you all say the Dewalts carry more oomph than the makita 18v???

15. Killy Bing

Killy Bing Plumber GSR

dewalt and makita are much of the same.
    they get the job done and are priced fairly well.

you can start paying a premium and going for panasonic, milwakee or hilti.

although i noticed tool station are doing some nice deals on milwaukee, as are plumb centre

16. plumben

plumben Plumber

As with anything theres all pros and cons
    If you buy a middle/top of the rang drill brand shouldn't make to much difference

Where as I've got the original battery dewalt 18v £100 and my boss has got the Li-on Makita £100
    There much the same although I've always found the Makita chuch slackens off when the drill gets a good bit of use/age

17. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Expensive! Guess it is okay for the big companies, where they can see the costs & not pay out thousands all at once, plus servicing, replacements all in the cost. But you are buying the tools a few times over.

18. Dai Williams

Dai Williams New Member

use a local powertools
    CNS Powertools
    always great service.
    and will match/beat other prices

19. Johnnn

Johnnn Guest

Another vote for ITS and FFX, and buy Panasonic!

20. goz666

goz666 GSR

Just buy the best you can afford pal, build up slowly ..unless you have money to burn.

21. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

Looking to buy a set you see.

22. Jimmy73

Jimmy73 Guest

Buy off ebay but if you can pay cash on collection go with that. Its just a case of keeping your search at a local distance or up to x amount of miles you want to travel. That way you can see the tools in person.

23. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

Any recommendations for a twin pack? Combi drill with impact driver? 18v

24. anz

anz Plumber GSR

I usually work out what I want and then just go to the cheapest place I can find.

I find the working out what I want the hardest bit, it took me about 3 weeks to decide what drill I wanted, another 4 to decide what saw I wanted, I just kept changing my mind.

I've bought tools before in a rush and I've always bought the wrong one.

25. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

At work we use makita 18v but they don't seem to be as powerful as the Dewalt

26. SimonG

SimonG Plumber

Milwaukee, top gear.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Best

Hilti are worth taking a look at. You will get them at a deal price & probably a few things thrown in. Trouble is, as with any top of the range tools, they just have "steal me " wrote all over them!
    Millwaukee also do seem very nice. You could also take a look at Metabo, which are decent.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  28. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

I've got £450 and the only power tool I own is a Bosch sds drill

29. Best

Your £450 will get you top of the ranges combi & impact kit.
    Millwaukee Fuel kit (it is brushless - lighter, more powerful, uses less power, long life motor) is about £450 inc vat.
    Hilti kit is actually 22 volt & is probably about the same cost if you go to a Hilti shop or rep.

30. clarky101

clarky101 Plumber GSR

BnQ are doing JCB at a decent price....I bought it 2 years back & there still good .

31. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

What's the best Dewalt or makita twin pack??

32. AMW

AMW Plumber GSR

I've got the dewalt DCK250D2 brushless combi drill and brushless impact driver 2x2amp batteries, had makita before which last ages and got a lot of abuse but I find the dewalt a lot better especially on hammer.

33. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

Yer I noticed the difference in hammer between the 2. I would like 4amh batteries.

34. AMW

AMW Plumber GSR

I've got to get a couple of 4amps as I've got other tools in the range and they eat up the 2amps to quickly. You can get that kit with 4amp batteries aswell

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  35. gasmanrob

gasmanrob Plumber GSR

The new makita combi drill throws out a massive 105nm of torque wich is biggest in range the new compact impact driver also is highest rpm in its class and all new makita gear has overload protection similar to milwaukee redlink all be it not quite as good. New milwaukee fuel combi drill hasn't got good reviews with many former usesrs wishing they kept the old combi drill.

hang on a minute I'll go find the makita kit and link it

36. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

Cheers

37. gasmanrob

gasmanrob Plumber GSR

38. gasmanrob

gasmanrob Plumber GSR

39. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

Thanks for that. There pricey aren't they?

40. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

41. Best

Thats what I was referring to earlier - all the top of the ranges of the professional tools are very expensive. Expect to pay near £400 upwards for a combi & impact kit with 2 batteries. I am not pushing Hilti, but their prices are much cheaper than the above Makitas.
    Dont worry too much about the amp hours rating of batteries as this only means how much time the battery runs - it's 'fuel tank' capacity if you like. A 3 or 4 amp/hr will last long between charges & all are same power output

42. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

43. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

The reason I say 4amh batteries is because there's a noticeable difference in run time between our dewalts to the makitas

44. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

45. Atouchofgas

Atouchofgas Plumber GSR

46. gasmanrob

gasmanrob Plumber GSR

Metabo are VERY GOOD tools but thermal protection can inhibit them.

that Bosch drill recently got voted the best 4 pole drill ever seen.

the dewalt kit is becoming ever more popular plenty of guys here use it and love it.

in fairness your not going to go wrong with any of them and unless your an oath you'll never truly exceed their limits in day to day use.

your far better off picking a platform you are comfortable with tools these days get you hooked on one battery platform once you buy one tool seeing you have the battery you'll buy their body only gear bassed on that. Get to a shop and hold them feel what's comfortable just don't rely on b and q etc they aren't the quality you'll find in proper tool shops

47. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

Where's best to go in the Midlands? Screw fix don't really have a wide variety

48. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

??? Any ideas.

49. gasmanrob

gasmanrob Plumber GSR

Sorry mate that's not my stomping ground

50. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

I can't seem to find an outlet for power tools that's local. I'd like to be able to have a proper look at various drills and drivers.