Search the forum,

Discuss Power flush in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gerald Ratner springs to mind.

When Ratner was asked in a live interview about how he was able to sell jewelry so cheaply, he said: "because it's rubbish!"

I don't see anyone on this thread denigrating the value of powerflushing, i.e. questioning that it's not the best way to clean out sludge from a CH system. The issue is what is a reasonable charge. Other than BG staff, I don't think many plumbers would argue that 800 quid is a reasonable charge.

It's not the same thing as: "Doing a Ratner" - which is used now to describe rubbishing your own product.

Have you read the rest of the thread, the majority of the posts are in a similar vein - "lackie does it' ... "money for old rope" ... etc. Strange that you think I'm giving secrets away!

I do think it's a good investment for anyone starting out, such as people with level 2 NVQ and the like, who often post on the board - what's wrong with that?

Doubt that I've triggered a wave of start-up new businesses in the UK that are going to drain work away from the plumbing trade.[/QUOTE

So how are these new people supposed to know what causes the symptoms for needing a flush in the firstt place?

Probably by placing their hand on the lower part of the radiators to feel for cold spots, like most people do.

Or they could impress the customer by using one of those flashy IR thermometers like the bloke on You Tube.

you can also do the trouser snake tests as i offten hear engineers say around by me. never tired it myself.

some of the older blokes i worked with as an apprentice would say a radiator is working correctly if you put your trouser snake on the top and it hurts, if you can hold it there then its not warm enough. I wonder if the method was ever tried? ouch!

Explaining why youve got your tool on a radiator ight take some explaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
some of the older blokes i worked with as an apprentice would say a radiator is working correctly if you put your trouser snake on the top and it hurts, if you can hold it there then its not warm enough. I wonder if the method was ever tried? ouch!

In order to determine whether the problem was trapped air or sludge, they would have to start at the top and work their way down - reckon they would need to be short and very well endowed, or have extremely flexible knees.

The Michael Jackson crotch thrust comes to mind, and those little shrieks he used to let out!

The auditions for Green Deal assessors would make good Saturday night TV I reckon!

image.jpg

Whats your problem? You seem hell bent on rubbing people up the wrong way on here. The price is the price, if you like it good for you if you don't then get another quote.

Mr 'I've come for advice from the people who are ripping me off' is back again :) :)

If you want to do it yourself, no ones stopping you, I personally wouldn't want to be pumping high temperature acid around my house without knowing what I was doing and the potential problems that could encountered, but each to there own.

Quote edited, original was insulting forum members.

So what do you do for a living fella. There's more to power flushing than meets the eye, a skill even a trade if you like.

Opening March 2013,

Powerflush training centre, Full training, powerflush machine free on "succesful" completion, no previous experience needed, Earn ÂŁ100,000 a year, charge customers ÂŁ800 a day.

Only ÂŁ5,000, one day course held at st albans, hertfordshire

Are you in St.Albans Jase?

no thats where kamco are!!! they do free training with the machine!! so buy the machine, send them on free course and make ÂŁ3600 profit for making a few calls, anyone want to come on my course?

cash of course, shhuuuuush..... dont tell the tax man :)

OOOh I'm so sorry but that was the wrong answer, you just lost the top prize, as a commiseration prize you win a business card with my details on it!!

OOOh I'm so sorry but that was the wrong answer, you just lost the top prize, as a commiseration prize you win a business card with my details on it!!

is that the same card of yours i found in the phone box?? :prrr:

all i want is ÂŁ100 for my boob enlargement.

Last edited:
Opening March 2013,

Powerflush training centre, Full training, powerflush machine free on "succesful" completion, no previous experience needed, Earn ÂŁ100,000 a year, charge customers ÂŁ800 a day.

Only ÂŁ5,000, one day course held at st albans, hertfordshire

Book me in jase, work has been a bit thin lately but i think i might just be able to survive the recession on ÂŁ800 a day.......ill have to make some adjustments to my likestyle though, but 5 grand is a bargain..........

Seems to me that the crucial issue on this thread was that the OP thought a powerflush would only take a couple of hours.

Powerflushing may not be rocket science, but it does need to be done methodically and thoroughly, which takes time, and as we all know, time is money. A 3/4 bed house is likely to take the best part of a day, and then there are the over-priced chemicals to pay for (not under the control of the average plumber) being the cleaner and the inhibitor.

The cheapest way is DIY, but then of course that means taking responsibility for anything that goes wrong.

As with most things, getting a few estimates to determine the going rate is a good idea.

Is there anything left to be said about the dark art of powerflushing?

I see Kamco have just brought out a combined combimag/combiheat container.
I only asked them if they could make these two years ago!
The answer then was to buy two combimags and use one of the containers for the heater (expensive).
It will help on dead boiler flushes and enable boilers to be changed and the chemicals heated at the same time :)
I wonder if they will just sell me the container?

I see Kamco have just brought out a combined combimag/combiheat container.
I only asked them if they could make these two years ago!
The answer then was to buy two combimags and use one of the containers for the heater (expensive).
It will help on dead boiler flushes and enable boilers to be changed and the chemicals heated at the same time :)
I wonder if they will just sell me the container?

Got a link stoker?m

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Power flush in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My Mother-in-law was quoted ÂŁ1,000 by British Gas to do a power flush on her system as her rads aren't performing well. I was wondering, as 4 radiators need to be upgraded to doubles, would this need to be done if they are drained off and replaced? How does one actually know it needs a power...
Replies
Views
O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those, there is one radiator in the living room which does not heat up at all. I have tried balancing myself and also had a professional come in to balance it...
Replies
Views
S
Hello, So we have a two year old boiler and have cleaned / flushed the system twice recently but not all radiators will heat at the same time. All radiators have the ability to heat when the others are isolated so not likely the TRV. have been attempting to balance but seems like maybe not...
Replies
Views
J
what is the best power flush machine and where can I buy it
Replies
Views
I'm in a bit of a bind with a current CH install where I need to install a filter prior to a flush but no where to install My issue is the return on the combi (ideal 35) runs directly behind the boiler then up through the ceiling so I have no clearance to even attempt to snake it out to fit a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock