Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss power flush cost?... in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. dwalsh1

dwalsh1 Member

British gas done their anal service on the boiler this morning and the guy said I need a power flush which I'd guessed anyway. Quoted me £800. Obviously the British gas have astronomical overheads so how much would it be roughly from Joe Bloggs the plumber?

2. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

How many rads?
    What part of the world
    What type of heating system

3. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

A lot less. About half that

4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Any problems ?

5. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Joe charges loads more than that

6. hammers4spanner

hammers4spanner Plumber GSR

£799.00

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR

What is the reason they told you to flush the system? Is there any report why you need that done. What pipework and how many rads

8. dwalsh1

dwalsh1 Member

8 rads (2 being towel rails). The boiler is a combi. 2 living room rads are cold on the bottom. The guy spoke of the heat exchanger which makes a noise may need a descale. Harrow based.

9. quality

quality Plumber GSR

Leave your heating on for a longer time and you will probably find they all get warm

10. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

I still know an old guy who is convinced powerflushing is the lazy way of doing it and that the way they did it in the old days (take the radiators off and hose them through outside) is a superior method. I can't work out how I can prove him wrong, and it would probably cure your radiator problem.

That said, if you have serious quantities of sludge in the system, it will eventually affect the boiler longevity and performance, and sounds like he may be onto something with his idea of descaling, in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. quality

quality Plumber GSR

2 year old system ?

12. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

lots of old guys in any field think the new ways are bad or lazy,

PF'ing, dne properly, is way superior to removing rads.

Think about it. Clean all the ras. Then pump crap in the pipes back into the rads. pretty smart, eh?

In the old days, boilers (and rads to an extent) had massively bigger water ways, it does not take much to restrict flow through a boiler,and crap to inhibit heat exchanging.

Oh, and I am well onto retiring, BTW

• Like Like x 2
  13. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Seems your system could do with a good clean £800 is a bit much you should be looking around £500 with a mag filter fitted in my opinion others may disaagree. Cheers kop

14. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

I would agree with KOP on the price, £500 sounds about right in my part of the Country.
    I would get a second opinion first though. Rads being cool at the bottom can of course be a sign of a build up of sludge but it is not always the case.
    Power-flushing can sometimes do more harm than good in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

The old guy sounds like me. :oops:
    I think he is correct. If anyone can use a powerflush and chemicals to clean rads thoroughly, then respect to them.
    I prefer to remove each one first and hose them out. Flushing a system that is full of water tends to not disturb the dirt in bottom of rads. (You wouldn’t try power hosing the bottom of a bucket if it was full of water)
    Flushing an empty system still has the problem of water build up in each rad.
    You can flush the pipes by doing each rad.
    I think nobody could argue that removing 90% of the crud in a system first before adding chemicals would make the chemical more effective.
    I see a lot of systems that have been powerflushed and the water appears clean. But there is still undisturbed crud in the bottom of the rads.

• Agree Agree x 3