Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton Promax SL 15 Combi central heating problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike333

Morning all,

This is a bit of a long shot considering how confusing it is, but I wondered if anyone could give me a little bit of advice before I call someone out so I can try to understand the issue a bit more.

I have a Potterton Promax SL 15 combi with a Megaflo tank and Danfoss thermostat. It's been working fine for 4 years but in the last 7 days the Central Heating is playing all sorts of games - the hot water is fine.

The first issue I noticed was a very loud click noise coming from the tank when the boiler was trying to ignite. That went away after day 2 and is no longer making a noise when the boiler starts intermittently (maybe that isn't a good sign though?). The pressure in the tank is fine between 1.5 and 2, and hot water continues to work fine over the last 7 days.

The thermostat also appears to be working fine because the hot water continues to work and the thermostat acknowledges when the Central Heating should come on when you go above say 18 degrees. The problem is the boiler ignites sometimes but then shuts itself off after an hour (or maybe that is timed with a certain temperature?).

After the boiler shuts off and the radiators are cold again, the only way I can get the heating to come back on is to turn off the boiler switch at the wall for an hour, and then turn it back on. It will ignite with no problems and the heating will come back on, but only for a certain amount of time.

Added to that, when I turn the Central Heating off at thermostat, the heating may come on at a random time even when the thermostat isn't asking the boiler to ignite.

So there are two known issues:

1. the boiler comes on initially for say an hour before turning itself off - is a safety mechanism turning it off???
2. even if I turn the CH off on the thermostat, the boiler and CH may come on at any time.

Any advice is greatly received. I've read a few forums mentioning different things, but can't see any like mine. My Promax SL 15 boiler doesn't give me any error codes because it only has a reset button and a hole to seen the boiler flame.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton Promax SL 15 Combi central heating problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock