Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton Gold heat only electric boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jock Spanners

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Evening All,

Has anyone experience of fitting a Potterton Gold heat only electric boiler? I have a customer who lives in the sticks, off gas, miles from anywhere whose brother (also retired) is ex-British Gas and has recommended one. My customer wants to lose the oil boiler and tank and gain some extra space inside and out. He seems quite determined. I can't find much info online - they appear to be 12kW and can be fitted in relays of two or three boilers. The house is three bedrooms with two wood burning stoves downstairs and a vented hot water cylinder. The boilers cost about £600 a piece. My gut instinct is that it will prove prohibitively expensive to run but would love to be convinced otherwise.

Electric, is basically twice the cost, per kw of heat into water of natural gas . And at the moment oil is a close second! So ask them is the bit of space worth two times the annual cost of oil?

They are basically the old Amptecs who have been bought over by Baxi/Potterton.
They do their job well enough.
6, 9 and 12 kw and you can bank them easily. If you go above 12 the electric board will love you and you might get an invite to their shareholders bash as a major contributor to profits.

There are better more cost effective ways to heat off grid.

If he's in the stix I would get a good spark to look over supply first. Tell him what KW you're thinking of !

Some old TT type supplies are not up to the job tbh.

Worth checking before you go down the road of change.

The amptec do work well and if you bank them together they drop off as heat increases, ( modulate ) eg. 12kw then one drops out leaving 9kw then next leaving 6kw etc. Until just one comes in and out. You may already know that and I hope I'm not teaching my grandma to suck eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton Gold heat only electric boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A good friend living in Suffolk has a Potterton Gold 12kW Electric boiler and for some months it has been coming on intermittently. Now it does not work at all. There is no problem with the temp/time controller and in fact I have placed a switch on the call input for testing. The power light is...
Replies
Views
P
I currently live in a 4 bed end of terrace victorian house, with 11 radiators and two towel rails. Currently have installed a 6kw potterton gold electric boiler, which heats a hot water cylinder and provides heating to the radiators. My electricity usage is extremely high and killing me...
Replies
Views
T
Hello everyone. I've recently bought an old house with no gas, no central heating and a knackered old electric immersion tank. I'm trying to work out the most sensible way to plumb it for hot water needs. Bit overwhelmed. Background: the house has no gas and no central heating. All heating...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock