Search the forum,

Discuss Possible misdiagnosis help please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I'm after some advise please. I recently got in touch with a plumber/heating engineer via checkatrade.
I had a boiler fault. He turned up and after a while of checking the boiler, he came down and said "you might need a pcb and the wiring centres in a right mess" he left saying he would ring me. which he did saying £250 all in.
Yes please ill go for that i was desperate for heating. He turned up a day later fitted the board then come down and said its not working and i needed a electrician to sort the wiring. he then showed me the original board and it had a component hanging off blaming a power surge. so thats £250 down and no heating still he offered no advise no solution and no idea what else was wrong.
I called a second firm in on Saturday night £120 call out, a second engineer turns up and quickly diagnoses a transformer fault. (Blown big time split all down between the pins) I sourced the replacement and fitted it along with a new code plug that he had left on the original pcb which he took with him.
finally got heating after 5 days.
I'm in dispute with plumber number one over Paying £250 which he changed to £200 and now hes saying £140
I don't know if the pcb was damaged by him or really had a fault. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Pay the company that fixed your heating and don't pay the company that did not

If you called no.1 as the boiler wasn't working there must have been a fault.

If you called no.1 as the boiler wasn't working there must have been a fault.

Obviously so, Scott, but he didn't fix it. No decent RGI would recommend an electrician to sort out a boiler wiring fault, they don't have a clue. And neither,possibly, did the wreckthetrade guy.

Sounds like you might have fitted parts to your own boiler?. Please be aware that you need to be Gas Safe Registered to change that part on certain boilers. What boiler make and model is it?

I can see i went on to much the question should be do i pay the first plumber anything at all? call out only? half the cost of the parts ? this has never happened to us before. any trade i have ever contacted has done whats required.

Sounds like you might have fitted parts to your own boiler?. Please be aware that you need to be Gas Safe Registered to change that part on certain boilers. What boiler make and model is it?

I sourced the parts and number 2 plumber fitted them on his way home from work. Should of been clearer. i travelled miles for the code plug.

Obviously so, Scott, but he didn't fix it. No decent RGI would recommend an electrician to sort out a boiler wiring fault, they don't have a clue. And neither,possibly, did the wreckthetrade guy.

I mean if was already broken he probably didnt break it
If you should pay or not, I dont know, sounds a right mess

I sourced the parts and number 2 plumber fitted them on his way home from work. Should of been clearer. i travelled miles for the code plug.
Why did you source the parts?

If second engineer works for a big company then his gas registration will be held with them. He’s not allowed to do Gas work ‘on the way home’.
Unfortunately though these situations can sometimes exist. The 1st engineer was trying to help you and make a living. I would say as a compromise, pay him cost of parts £150.00 and draw a civil line under it.
I hope your Heating is behaving itself now. Have a great Christmas:))

Golden rule is don't call an engineer out at night or weekends. That way at least you wont pay a premium call out charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Possible misdiagnosis help please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Some advice needed please re a 3 year old combi gas boiler. The hot water works but no heating. A gas engineer was already booked to do the annual safety check before the fault developed. He said the boiler is ok with no fault. He said there must be a leak under the floor boards causing hot...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I have Worcester combi boiler which has developed a 'fault' recently. When I switch the heating on, the fire in boiler starts for a second or two and then goes off. After another few seconds it starts again and then stays on. This happens around 8 out of 10 times. I had engineer having a...
Replies
Views
Andy Jackson
A
I must be cursed The new boiler that was fitted yesterday had a problem on commissioning, when the central heating was turned on the boiler fired but the pipework was only getting hot up to a certain point, it took the plumber a couple of hours to figure out what was happening, the problem was...
Replies
Views
Hi need some advice on this odd story, I had a Bosch boiler installed just over 2 years ago by Governments home energy scheme. The company passed all checks, provided certs etc. The government/Green scheme sends 2 other gas boiler engineers to double and triple check things and One was Bosch...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, I have a challenge with a Main Eco Elite 30 Combi which is short cycling on the CH. Water works fine. As soon as you have call for heat, the boiler fires up, modulates, but jumps very quickly (about 30 seconds or so from 40'ish all the way to 70, burner disengages putting it the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock