Search the forum,

Discuss Poss starting self employed - advice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Soapy

Hello folks, i'm not a plumber I'm a Corgi service engineer. But hat's off to you plumber lads - we couldn't have civilisation without you. Fact. No running water or toilets and we'd still be living in huts. I watch too many documentaries about the romans on sky I think!:rolleyes:Did you know they made lead pipe? Also true. And next time some unskilled penpusher office monkey sneers at you remind him that he'd be the first called up in a war and over the trenches. Us tradesmen are more valuable:).

Anyway - back to what I meant to speak about.

Unfortunately when I left school in the 90's I accepted a job with BG(spit):mad: and it was all downhill from there.

I'm looking for a way out but working for a similar firm with similar structure and management would be just as bad(well maybe nearly as bad-Robert Mugabe could run a company better).

I'd rather work for myself or work for a local small outfit but I really need to think about it and obviously now is a bad time to start out with the credit crunch etc. In saying that though, I live in a big city with other towns and cities 30 minutes drive away. I reckon if I'm prepared to travel then there must be work around. Folk will do without holidays abroad, new cars and that but people need hot water to wash and heating in winter in this country and cook.

The majority of my experience has been repair work on most types and makes of gas appliances. I was involved in a lot of boiler installations as an appprentice but we stopped all that years ago and I'm not up to speed on installation work as I'm out of practice.

I've got Acs again, LPG acs, unvented.

I did a proper apprenticeship, not the new fast track training thing they do now to replace experienced good guys they've driven out the door.

BG has a lot of good guys but also a lot of muppets, most of whom tend to get promoted. In fact, a guy who was in my class in college whose nickname at his depot was 'the chocolate teapot' is now, would you believe it, a BG manager! It just confirms everything you knew was true!!!

Most bad press you hear about BG is office related/caused, management caused or lack of training sending new guys out who should not be on their own. Trying to force guys to be salesmen when it's not their personality type can lead to problems and performance measurement of work can lead guys to cut corners, go too fast, make silly mistakes. Silly mistakes that could land you in jail and ruin your life. But the managers are ok. They won't go to jail.

If they had a mass cull of managers, kept the gasmen, gave the new lads more training and support and sorted out office muppets passing the buck to us face-the-customer-people then the company might have half a chance.

But they won't so I'm wanting out. I say that every year but I've just about gathered the balls to jack it in.

I'd be doing gas repair work but this could be complicated working on your own(can't take pcb's to the merchant back if that wasn't the fault for example), intermittent faults, dealing with complaints yourself and billing.

Installations would be better for bringing in the money and more guaranteed work booked in advance but as I said i'm not that up to speed on installations currently.

A lad that left us 2 years ago has a holiday home in Spain now he's doing that well on installation work.

I know I need to sort out public liability insurance, a van, an accountant and and buy some expensive kit. Is the billing and accounts side all that difficult or is it a matter of keeping receipts and keeping on top of paperwork?

Can you get any government or bank assistance for starting a small business?

i heard you can also go on a course that teaches you book-keeping, maybe a free governmant thing?

Main problems I see are initial outlay, advertising and bringing customers in and getting them to pay.

Any help would be appreciated and I won't be offended if you rip into BG! I've stuck by them through some hard times but they just walk all over us all the time. Best workplace 2007?:eek: If your an office worker or a workshy manager - maybe. A service engineer? Not in a million years! You'll probably find none of us bothered to vote and most of the cushy office staff did vote and said they liked it.

£27000, pension(which is a worry,they messed with it), no private use of van(disciplined immediately if caught), unsocial hours, hounded for amount of jobs done and amount fixed first time, terrible management, always criticism, never praise. Always disciplinary action, never a quiet word in the ear. Depending on your personality type you could lose it working with us. Some have done and others are off sick because of performance, hounding and bullying style of management.

Nothing amazing about that. Not a good job at all.

NEVER advise anyone to come to us for a job unless you don't like them. I've seen guys, friendly nice guys go downhill fast with us. It's terrible the way they treat people.

Anyway merry christmas when it comes and all the best.;)

>Folk will do without holidays abroad, new cars and that but people need hot water to wash and heating in winter in this country and cook.

yes but they are doing their own diy repairs. and pushfit fittings has made diy plumbing even easyer for them.

>I'd be doing gas repair work but this could be complicated working on your own

why ?

>(can't take pcb's to the merchant back if that wasn't the fault for example)

try not to diagnose the fault wrong
if not sure tell the customer, i would rather tell them i can't find the fault than cost them £300 and it still don't work.
know your limits.

>dealing with complaints yourself and billing

complaints don't treat people like they are thick and respect their property etc you won't get complaints.
one of the biggest complaints i find with customers is people that don't return calls or turn up on time.
icon8.gif

>Installations would be better for bringing in the money

thats a bg attitude
moneys not what its all about, installations get boring.
icon9.gif

>Is the billing and accounts side all that difficult or is it a matter of keeping receipts and keeping on top of paperwork

paperwork nothing to worry about, parts receipts, invoices, fuel etc.
i never had an accountant from day one and never would pay what they want just to use a calculator.
plus they don't duck n dive with the figures
icon12.gif

>Can you get any government or bank assistance for starting a small business?
i heard you can also go on a course that teaches you book-keeping, maybe a free governmant thing?

you can get small business loans
you can get book keeping courses etc
do you not know any self employed person who can help you.

>Main problems I see are initial outlay, advertising and bringing customers in and getting them to pay

initial outlay can add up. advertising keep away from these muppets like 118-118, customer street etc
make sure you have your terms & conditions etc. as you know from bg its on invoices etc for the customer to read. always cover your arse.
customers who don't pay get told that interest is added after a certain time and they are liable for any costs i incur from taking them to court.

Sonray, i just did a post slagging off BG and talking about starting myself(I don't like BG and I don't sell boilers for them as they are sometimes 3x the price of normal as you know) but you accuse me of having a BG attitude in saying boiler installation work is an easier bet and more money. I'm talking about starting a business, to bring in money and pay my mortgage - of course i am concerned with money. You can be booked up months in advance with installation work whereas people will not wait months for a boiler repair, it comes in drips and drabs. Boiler installers don't need to do ANY repairs, just pass the customer onto the manufacturer who have to fix it under guarantee.

People like me though have to fix boilers themselves.

To say that i misdiagnose and shouldn't have to return PCB's shows a lack of experience on your part.

Ask ANYONE in the trade who regularly repairs and maintains boilers and they will agree that in maintenance work not everything is clear cut and everything is great in theory but in the real world it is entirely possible that you follow a logical fault finding procedure, back it up by phoning the manufacturer who agrees with your diagnosis or comes to the same conclusion separately, then you fit the PCB for example and guess what - you were both wrong and the manufacturer even says "that's unusual that normally does the trick, sorry mate".

I have worked alone fixing boilers for many years now every working day snd I know my limits. my limits are no limits, I have the same experience or greater than most. if a fault is difficult, then I stick with it, only on rare occasions have i called it a day and given up due to very strange circumstances/multiple intermittent electronic faults and usually i hear from the customer that the manufacturer came out after and swapped components until the thing worked. ie. the people who know the boiler insude out and only work on that make(easy but I work on all makes would be great if I just worked on one range of less than 20 boilers) couldn't fix it through normal logical faultfinding.

When i started, the job was pretty easy, every second job was a thermocouple or a synchron motor and you were looked upon as a genius if you could fix a potterton lynx.

Now i have probably only changed 5 thermocouples THIS YEAR yet I repair boilers every working day all day.

Boilers nowadays are combis, electronic, condensers, some have 3 or 4 different PCB's, nothing with a normal pilot light. A potterton Lynx now is an easy repair.

If I worked for myself i would inevitably diagnose a pcb fault sometime and it would turn out to be the other pcb or ignition related or the gas valve (intermittent faults can EASILY have this scenario - manufacturer's will agree). I would buy the £200 PCB after much time spend logically fault finding with multimeter and instructions yet - oh no it turns out it's not the pcb and i'll have to keep it now and hope i work on that make and model and serial number of boiler at some point in the near future to get my £200 back.

I don't know if you lads mostly do plumbing and do the odd boiler repair but I mostlydo boiler repairs and do plumbing as secondary.

It's not an easy job fault finding on modern boilers and fixing it in 1 or 2 visits.some may think it is but it's not. The DIY'ers don't attempt this kind of thing and if they do they are foolish. it's the same with cars, people used to mess with cars and repair themselves but now it's all electronic and people don't do car repairs DIY anymore unless it's really eay or an older car.

Hi Soapy

Your story is very similar to mine but for me it was 5 years ago, I'd had enough. I joined glowworm, best move I ever made. Im not there now but it gave me the experience i needed and for once I felt like they wanted/needed me.

Why not try a manufacturer and then get your own CORGI registration as well so you can test the water. Pretty sure most manufacturers let you do this, I know your company at the moment does'nt.

Most companines pay the kind of money you are on these days but without the unsocialable hours.

If you take the plunge I dont think you will regret it.

you need to spend 1 year planning before you start on your own!!

business plan
strategic plans
marketing etc etc
its all about systems!!!

read the e -myth contractor

paper work is the most important part of the business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Poss starting self employed - advice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock