Search the forum,

Discuss Poor original installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not posted for some time but find these forums really interesting. Had a full heating and hot water system installed many years ago in ex council house by Servowarm, I guess the experts here would not think much of that company but it ran for years with no problems at all and was serviced each year.
Moved house and recently had a new boiler installed (combi) to a system originally installed by a reputable local firm. The new boiler also installed by a local reputable firm, the original installer now retired.
My point is that so many problems we see on this forum appear to be caused by bad installation in the first place.
Where did all the well trained and competent plumbers go? Is it because the old apprentice system has mainly ended?

What do you guys think?

I came in to the job to earn a good living , I think the main problem today is that people come into the job just to earn “shed loads”of money , or so they think .
The fast track courses do not help , they were given a helping hand buy to the demise of the apprenticeship system.
Now theres too many in the job and fighting for work forcing prices down .
I could go on but thats my take on it ...

Cheap labour that arnt fully qualified
Insufficient timescales for jobs (full heating system in two days etc)
Low quality materials
Plastic pipe
Main firms (not naming no names) who over charge and then sub the install out at a stupid low price
Inexperienced labour

Where did all the well trained and competent plumbers go?

Too many short cuts
Too many fast track courses
Not enough attention to detail.

Bring back the full 5 year apprenticeship

I get sick and tired of following half a job harry's and plant pots who have done something completely wrong, or Muppet's who think you diagnose faults by changing one part after another.

Cheers for taring all fast track engineers with the same brush. It is much appreciated! I work F*****g hard and do a good. Some of us were not in a position to take an apprentership or the college path. It's easy to have that attitude when you've probably done this job since you were 16?

Cheers for taring all fast track engineers with the same brush. It is much appreciated! I work F*****g hard and do a good. Some of us were not in a position to take an apprentership or the college path. It's easy to have that attitude when you've probably done this job since you were 16?

Lol , I said dont help !!! , the fast track courses are ok if the candidates are 100 % committed and not in it just for the money.

Apologies to all. Just saw nothing but red for a second then.:p:p:p. But yes, it is very annoying when you see or talk to people and you can tell they are not committed. In my eyes I want to retire before I am 65. But in all reality I will probably be doing this job until I am Dead.:p:p:p:D I also would like to be as physically busy as possible until that point. I am not here for a quick few pounds.

Apologies to all. Just saw nothing but red for a second then.:p:p:p. But yes, it is very annoying when you see or talk to people and you can tell they are not committed. In my eyes I want to retire before I am 65. But in all reality I will probably be doing this job until I am Dead.:p:p:p:D I also would like to be as physically busy as possible until that point. I am not here for a quick few pounds.

Least you might have the option when I finish the age will be 95

To train a new plumber well would cost too much in time wasted for most plumbers and companies.
The well trained and competent plumbers are all dead now.
What we now have is loads of plumbers who have qualifications, but no proper basic training.
I also blame customers attitudes nowadays. They just want things done when they decide and don't seem to care who does the work. I am so fed up with having to work at plumbing work that is seriously bad, that I am not interested in the job anymore.

when I left school it was all apprenticeships , and there were plenty of them , they got paid sod all , but still were a massive capital outlay from the firms employing them.
But unfortunately its all changed , I cant ever see the apprenticeships coming back .

Shaun , I dont think you will mind me saying your knowledge in this job is fecing incredible, honestly , you make me look thick lol

Shaun , I dont think you will mind me saying your knowledge in this job is fecing incredible, honestly , you make me look thick lol

Christ. Very knowledgable for your age!! Must have had a top quality apprentaship/teacher.

Ta lads :oops: been plumbing since I was 14 but I'm a hands on person, I learn by doing

[QUOTE="Best, post: 958839, member: 28322"
I also blame customers attitudes nowadays. They just want things done when they decide and don't seem to care who does the work. I am so fed up with having to work at plumbing work that is seriously bad, that I am not interested in the job anymore.[/QUOTE]
Chin up mate your mojo will come back.

Chin up mate your mojo will come back./QUOTE]
tenor.gif

I definitely do agree with what you are all saying. Just wanted to get my point across. I said that to Shaun the other day. I class myself as decent Engineer, but his knowledge base absolutely baffles me!:p:p:p.

If I offended you Harvest, it was unintentional. I was merely referring to the dangerous levels of incompetence I have come across recently. Incompetence caused by lack of knowledge or experience, which would more often than not, be identified and corrected in the duration of a longer training period or pure incompetence that would indicate that someone was in the wrong job.

No offence meant.

If I offended you Harvest, it was unintentional. I was merely referring to the dangerous levels of incompetence I have come across recently. Incompetence caused by lack of knowledge or experience, which would more often than not, be identified and corrected in the duration of a longer training period or pure incompetence that would indicate that someone was in the wrong job.

No offence meant.
No worries mate. Just saw red for a moment. But do understand your point.

:D I'm not that bad am I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Poor original installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock