Search the forum,

Discuss Poor heat output from radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for some advice of the possible reason for why my central heating rads don't really seem to get hot. I've a theory but I'd like someone more knowledgeable to comment.

We have a Vailant Ecomax 625E boiler, the system is quite large: 22 radiators (some doubles) split 11 ground floor, 11 first floor. It was installed about 11 years ago by a professional heating company.

The symptoms are as follows, while the flow pipe for the rads gets very hot the return is barely lukewarm. I've attempted to balance the radiators (12C difference between flow and return) but it became impossible after the first half dozen as the difference was always higher. In fact the radiators at the far end of the circuit have their LSV and thermostatic valve fully open and they're only lukewarm when the system has been on all day.

The boiler has a modulating pump, I've tried adjusting the output but it didn't seem to make a noticeable difference.

The hot water is heated without any issue.

My suspicions are that the water is preferring to circulate around the hot water circuit rather than the rads. In the airing cupboard there is a bypass pipe before the servo with a pressure relief valve. The body of this value is constantly very hot, even when both the hot water and central heating servos are open. I've tried adjusting the valve, it has numbers from 1 to 6, but that makes no difference.

I'd order and replace this valve but as they're 50 quid I want to know that I'm on the right track first. I'm happy to pay for a professional to fix this but I have problems finding someone reliable and that actually answers their phone to make an appointment.

This has been rather a long first post, thanks for reading this far.

Simon

I'd advise you to get a heating engineer in.
The pump is in the boiler so you should be Gas Safe registered to work on it ( gas appliance)
The cylinder is unvented ( you mentioned pressure relief valve), and needs an engineer qualified for the G3 regulation.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

As far as your issue goes, it could be a number of things

Could be a few things

Sludge in the rads
Port valve passing on hot water

Any chance of a few pics of the bypass valve ?

Could be a few things

Sludge in the rads

I tried to link to the bypass valve but the site won't let me. It appears to be "RS Pro Pressure Relief Valve, 3/4in, 3bar" part number 246-3289 according to the RS web page.

A week or so ago I shut down the thermostatic valves on 6-8 of the rads and the ones are the end of the circuit got nicely hot.

Could be a few things

Sludge in the rads

20170121_131527.jpg

I tried to link to the bypass valve but the site won't let me. It appears to be "RS Pro Pressure Relief Valve, 3/4in, 3bar" part number 246-3289 according to the RS web page.

A week or so ago I shut down the thermostatic valves on 6-8 of the rads and the ones are the end of the circuit got nicely hot.

Last edited:
Bypass valve

But could be pump/balancing issue as well depending on age could be warn best get a gas safe engy to have a look

Thanks, I'll keep trying to locate a engineer, the boiler needs an annual service.

Out of interest, it is usual for these valves to fail? The one on the hot water tank had to be replaced a couple of years ago.

Bypass valve

But could be pump/balancing issue as well depending on age could be warn best get a gas safe engy to have a look

Thanks, I'll keep trying to locate a engineer, the boiler needs an annual service.

Out of interest, it is usual for these valves to fail? The one on the hot water tank had to be replaced a couple of years ago.

everything fails when its not looked after and serviced

Has it ever worked properly ? could be undersized pump or Kw output of boiler 22rads and a cylinder bit small i would say

may i ask whats with the cloth around the immersion heater?

Has it ever worked properly ? could be undersized pump or Kw output of boiler 22rads and a cylinder bit small i would say

No, they've really never been great. The boiler is rated are 35kW. I'm not sure what specifications are relevant regards the pump, there's a graph which shows up to 1900 l/h.

There's a sorry tale. There was some weeping around the immersion heater, I had a plumber in a couple of years ago to replace it, he took hours to do it and when he finished it was still the same. "Will probably clear up over time", still leaks.

There's a sorry tale. There was some weeping around the immersion heater, I had a plumber in a couple of years ago to replace it, he took hours to do it and when he finished it was still the same. "Will probably clear up over time", still leaks.

No, they've really never been great. The boiler is rated are 35kW. I'm not sure what specifications are relevant regards the pump, there's a graph which shows up to 1900 l/h.

are you sure normally vaillant on the last two numbers on the model is the kw

Is that a system boiler meaning pump inside the boiler casing ? output on that boiler is 34.9kw flat out 22 rads say 2kw each some more some less 44 kw + undersized low loss header with a bigger pump Dab Evosta 40 -70 7 metre pump should do it get the professionals back and get em to sort the emersion heater leak out not that hard to do .

Last edited:

Sounds like it could be the bypass letting by (is there a means of shutting it off to check?). I'd also be wary about using the boiler pump for the whole system, but not knowing the layout couldn't give a definitive answer. Most system boiler internal pumps don't have a particularly high head (I think the Vaillant is about 2.5m) and you might find your system is higher resistance, hence not getting the flow to distant rads.
Another thing: doesn't the Vaillant have an internal bypass fitted? If that's letting by there will be less head available.
Assuming it's lack of oomph from the boiler pump you might need to put in a low loss header with a larger pump on the system side.

Thanks for all the feedback. I've got someone booked to service the boiler next week, I'll talk this over with them when they're here.

Another thing: doesn't the Vaillant have an internal bypass fitted? If that's letting by there will be less head available.

I've just looked at the manual, yes

3.12.2 System by–pass
An automatic system by–pass is included within the boi-
ler. The boiler is suitable for use in systems with ther-
mostatic radiator valves and no additional by–pass is
required.

Is it usual to also fit an external bypass, or could this be the source of the problem?

No its not unsual its let's the boilers pump still have a circuit should the rad TRVS close or get turned off when the boiler reaches its set tempreture and switches off the pump continues to run to reduce the tempreture in the heat exchanger the bypass in the boiler is only a small pipe so not so good works better having a external one fitted , you could try replacing it or even better move it near the boiler personally I would still say your boiler is undersized .

Why is a 3 bar pressure relief valve being used as a bypass, if that is what it is in your picture?

Edit - I see that it is a bypass valve. Haven't seen that type used round my way before.

Last edited:
Why is a 3 bar pressure relief valve being used as a bypass, if that is what it is in your picture?

Edit - I see that it is a bypass valve. Haven't seen that type used round my way before.

honeywell bypass mate

So I've just had an engineer out to service the boiler and talk about the issues I'm having. His opinion is that there is a flow problem and the system needs a power flush. It may also need an additional pump on the return given the size of the system but that should be reassessed after the system has been cleaned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Poor heat output from radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Water keeps filling up my home water tank from the output valve at the bottom of the tank and not from the top of the tank Water keeps pouring in from the output valve and won't stop, making the tank overflow 24/24 At first we thought it was the input valve at the top but after inspection we...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
G
I've just bought a 3-floor house with a gas boiler on the ground floor and hot water tank on the middle floor. When I switch on the hot water at the timer panel, it works but it also heats up all the radiators above ground floor. I have to close them individually to stop this. The rads aren't...
Replies
Views
I am after an advice, please. We have a vertical radiator from Reina, Evie, that heats up only 2nd column fully, 1,3 and 4 are lukewarm. I borrowed a thermal camera and attached is the thermal image. System is balanced, there doesn't seem to be air coming out of the bleeding valve and was...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock