Search the forum,

Discuss Poor boiler plumbing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, moved into my home 12 months ago and over winter was frustrated by the boiler baxi105e, over 10 years old I recon, making a load noise when running the central heating. Boiler is located in the main bedroom cupboard. Boiler serviced. As it sounds like air running through my boiler (zero air when bleeding rads) guessed it was the pump speed being set too fast or a additional auto bypass required. Pump being inside the boiler I can't changed the speed, figured I would fit a ABV. However when I looked closer at the boiler 15mm pipe comes out of the 22mm flow/return valves, 90 bends and then the 15mm is increased to 22mm pipe, would these 15mm bends be responsible for a load noise from the boiler ? I'm not a plumber but competent with DIY, can the 15mm bend be replaced with 22mm compresson fittings so close to the boiler?
CH is a 15mm from the boiler upto 22mm for 2M and then bullet manifold to feed 7 radiators with 8mm microbore. 2 medium, 4 small radiators and a towel rail. All the rads have been removed and flushed through, and magnetic filter fitted.
Same plumber who installed the boiler ran 15mm cold water to the boiler and then 15mm out the hot water outlet for about two feet before increasing it to 22mm for the bathroom and kitchen (12M run), I can't understand why this size dead leg was installed?

This is a honest serious question are you planning on staying there a decent amount of time

If you are and can afford it I would get it re pipe d / new system and get rid of the 8-10mm it wasn't the best when it was brought out

15mm to each rad is the best option in my opinion

Ideally yes I would stay and upgrade everything, but money is restrictive, windows, roof and potential re wiretakes priority over a slightly noisy boiler. Concreate floor and downstairs walls makes everything messy. Was curious if there was anything to reduce the noise short term ? and why it was installed like this.

What was the water like when you flushed the rads out ?

The 22mm hot was probably the old supply from a hot water cylinder?

Do you mean the pre formed tails from the boiler?

Post some pictures

The water when flushed was very black in colour with lots of rust parts, after refill and inhibitor its stayed clear.

Just to note the system works fine, boiler maybe cycles more than it should, all rad get warm house is heated fast enough.
GDiAuxQ.jpg
GDiA1to.jpg

Pasteboard — Uploaded Image
https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/GDiA1to.jpg
GDiA1to.jpg

Not pretty but i have seen worse probably a few things which you could do sentinal do a boiler silencer chemical which is left in the system together with the inhibitor , get the expansion vessel checked and the gas rate on the boiler altering pipe wont make that much difference if heating goes to minibore cheers kop

Tails out of boiler are standard mate , as KoP says not pretty lol

Looks fine bet it's down to the micro boar pipes to the rads

Did you use a heavy duty cleaner/sludge remover (like sentinel X800) before flushing the system? Although the system appears to working fine given how dirty it was I'd do so to completely eliminate the chance of system sludge or kettling from the boiler and it'll also help with opening up the microbore.

Last edited:
I will run a cleaner in the system and drain down and flush the system in place, and try the combo of silencer and inhibitor. Can anyone give me an idea of cost to replacing the system in 15mm with chasing the 4 downstairs pipes into the walls about 5m run max.

I'm afraid it's forum policy not to discuss pricing as it can vary so dramatically nationwide but give a couple of local registered plumbers a call. Bare in mind your boiler might also be near the end of it's natural life as it's 10+ years old so it might be worth considering a boiler/system upgrade as recommended earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Poor boiler plumbing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock