Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing to log cabins in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Freen0

Hello, I am looking at setting up some log cabins on my land and I wanted some advice regarding plumbing to the cabins. I'm looking at saving costs where I can so was hoping to lay all the underground pipework to the cabins myself and then hire a plumber to plumb the internals of the cabins and connect to private drainage. I know I need a review of my private drainage to see if it can handle the additional waste.

Am I allowed by law to run this pipework myself and would that be recommended? I am pretty hands on but more electrical than plumbing so any recommendations would be good. Does anyone know what general costs would be to run this per metre? Also if I were to have a shower, toilet and sink in the cabin any idea of the cost of a plumber to plumb this in? Also the same the other end, the cost to connect to the cess pit. I know it all depends on current systems and prices are all over the place but a rough estimate will really help out, also recommendations of what pipework would be needed would be good.

This is early days so I'm really looking to get some costing put together to see if this project is workable. I'm assuming the land is flat here so no pumping needed but if there was pumping needed what would be involved here?

Are there any training courses you would recommend for me to take to get a better understanding?

Thanks.

you need water companies approval to do water mains work or you can use an approved plumber to sign off the work if it is done to the correct standards. Buildings control will need to inspect and sign off your drains as well. By the time u have paid for doing a course to get you a ticket to lay mains yourself you could have paid some one to do most of the work anyhow. No law to say you cant do it your self, but it wont have the correct consents and if its done badly the water company is within their rights to disconnect you!

Often its best to get 2 or 3 quotes to get an idea of costs and choose someone you trust then try and work with them to save some cash, diy in these cases often ends up costing more in the long run. Pricing your ideas over the net is an impossible task though, so go get quotes really for a decent idea of what is needed

Welcome along :)

Even at an early stage it would be advisable to get somebody in. Very difficult to advise without seeing the job or knowing what part of the country it is.

But if you get somebody in and lay down exactly what your plans are and the works you are looking to do yourself. From there it would be an easy job to give you the costings you are looking for.

if nothing else you will likely need a larger supply from the water company to run multiple properties.

Thanks for the comments here, I certainly don't want to do any works that would not be up to standards/against regulations and would need to be reworked.

Pricing is always a tricky thing, especially when I don't even know what the plans are! I will contact the local water board regarding the mains water and when I get closer to the time I will get some quotes in from local companies.

Thanks again for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing to log cabins in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

C
Hello all, I'm preparing an estimate for a bathroom renovation in a block of flats. As always I'm trying to flag up / plan for and cost as many possible unknowns as possible in advance. One thing that I've not seen before is the ~50mm pipework connecting into the soil stack (see picture). My...
Replies
Views
Hi, we've had our central heating system put back into the ground after all the pipework being in the attic. I don't know anything about plumbing so I paid up when the job was finished (ÂŁ1000) my husband and father in law came home and were not happy with the pipework! The pipes are way above...
Replies
Views
Could do with some advice, might be fitting some radiators for a family friend. I've done loads of freebies for friends and family and still currently in my apprenticeship, theres five radiators in total, i haven't looked at the job as of yet so not sure whether pipework will need altering or...
Replies
Views
Hi All, As my wife is a hairdressing we are looking to build a log cabin in the garden for her to carry out her work. The issue I have is with the waste and was looking for ideas/advice. We can get cold water supply & electricity to it no problem however as the garden is on a slight slope...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm new here! I've bought my first house - needs a fair bit of work doing to it, including the plumbing. I'm keen to do stuff myself rather than getting contractors in, wherever possible, not just for cost, but also because I want to learn (a useful life skill surely!) I'll...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock