Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing maintenance work only in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Who here makes a living carrying out maintenance work only?

i know when money has to be made most of us would be prepared to do pretty much anything but who gets by replacing siphons, stopcocks etc?

hard to do I imagine but I know some guys who hate any type of install work.

not enough call for plumbing installs and maintenance down here to earn a living

Agree that I dont think most people can survive on maintenance for the domestic customer only as generally a lot of my maintenance is either for the older end or after have a go heroes, but good for filling part of the odd day in. Maintenance for most other commercial housing etc generally on fixed price ( generally poor as well )

So for those guys who don't do any gas work, do you have to rely on bathroom and kitchen fitting? Or where do you earn your money?

I can tick by nicely on maintenance but it's hard to get enough of them in a week to make decent money.
If I can get a decent bathroom in every 2-3 weeks I'm happy doing half days on maintenance the rest of the time.
Don't know what the going rate is round the country but here it's about Ā£60 to change a syphon or fill valve, so you could make a grand a week (before business/running costs) doing 4 syphons a day. The trick is finding a way to get 4 syphon jobs a day for 5 days a week, I still haven't perfected that trick...

If I could get 5 boiler services or breakdowns a day I would be happy. Easy money and only half a day.

When I first set up on my own few years ago I managed to live off maintenance only. Only things I installed were taps/showers etc wasn't making a killing but for someone just starting out Ā£500 roughly per week was ok

Mostly new builds and the occasional bathroom for me I like maintenance work it's just the customers I don't like:83:

Yeah you can easily.

It's installing a boiler in a day that I can't do lol.

what full burner out and clean, new inhb and all the normal stuff

Inhb?

If the burner needs to come out not a problem, 3/4 hr most boilers. So as long as not too much driving I between easy.

Inhb?

If the burner needs to come out not a problem, 3/4 hr most boilers. So as long as not too much driving I between easy.

inhibitor

and hows 3/4 hours on one boiler do 5 in half a day ?

Three quarters of an hour lol. If I could charge enough to justify spending 4 hours servicing a boiler I'd be happy.

You can't do 5 boiler services in half a day lol

I was doing a sani service the other month and the BG lad serviced the boiler in 35 minutes of which 5 minutes of that was paperwork and I swear he used no more than 4 different tools.

Maintenance work can actually be quite skilful. It is much harder to undo someone else's work and repair it usually.
I find people who have had a nightmare of a plumbing job often regard me as a professional (however right or wrong that is! :smile:) when they get me as the final person to try and work miracles. It is very nice sometimes to enlighten people for the first time to properly explain all the faults and how it should be done.

Some interesting replies.

I have been in my current job 12months doing 95% maintenance and I have learnt so much. More in the last 12 months than the previous 3 years combined.

You do learn so much from doing maintenance work I think. It shows you how others do work (good or bad) and what materials. It also teaches you the lifespan of materials and which to avoid.
Although variable, it can however be a lazy type of work. Going to fix a push button toilet just isn't going to raise a sweat

Last edited:
not enough call for plumbing installs and maintenance down here to earn a living
yer, its just a pop down to the nearest arkwrights for a new galv pail n tin bath.lol

95% of my work is maintenance and inspection reports for claims through a couple of national and local co/s (not cp12's) but some servicing. but you take what you can get while the sun shines.

You do learn so much from doing maintenance work I think. It shows you how others do work (good or bad) and what materials. It also teaches you the lifespan of materials and which to avoid.
Although variable, it can however be a lazy type of work. Going to fix a push button toilet just isn't going to raise a sweat

You're right, some weeks I'm exhausted because of the driving and long hours. Not the actual work I do.

last job today on way home, replace fill spout (the plastic bit the water pours out off) on a torbec silent fill. 10mins Ā£40 sorted.lol

Maintenance is great for me.
It's just getting enough of it to keep ye going.
Mainly service work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing maintenance work only in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock