Search the forum,

Discuss plumbing coures /bathroom kitchen /qualifcations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

littlecookie

hi
years ago i fitted a few kitchens and bathrooms including showers with no problems only for family and friends and liked doing it while i worked with a builder ,but for some reason maybe my young age at the time i went elsewhere and got an low paid job being a delivery driver and have done it for the last 18 years but now im looking at starting out but im not sure what i need to be legal , i have been told nvq level 2 ,i am limited to the hours i can spend training so i was looking at the olci coures 1 and 2 as they can be done at home are they any good, as they cost about 1100 quid together but i have also seen some coures 5 times as much . im a bit confused any advise please...thanks
:confused:

Hi Littlecookie
olci will cost you a lot more than 1100 quid if you want the full course for level 2 nvq,but the good thing is, if you feel comfortable with your trade and you do a good job then go for it, Ive been plumbing for 20 years, but ime going through olci to get my gas certificate as i feel thats the way forward for me.

not sure what ive been looking at then its so confusing, it says there is course 1 and also course 2 i have spent ages looking around but as far as i can see it seems impossible to fit any training around my job
is it possible to train from home or is what they say not true

We offer a NOCN Level 2 Qualification in Domestic Plumbing. You will cover all wet plumbing in 2 weeks and your qualification can be used as Accredited Prior Learning towards your NVQ2.

Check our website for details Tiling Courses from Chase Tiling Academy

Or PM me for further info and your questions answered :)

Anthony

alot of courses say they will go towards nvq 2 or point you in the right direction there is loads of courses and after looking a bit more the olci is just the basic learn at home stuff unless you can get to their centres which are too far,what is the legal word on whats needed to be able to call your self a plumber and go out and charge people for the work done and not be breaking any laws also any views on VIY Plumbing in leeds

Last edited by a moderator:
if you are looking for a fultime course then i would recommend PPL at york they have a web site and if you phone James he will show you round and answer any questions you have.

just had a look at the ppl course seems similar to the viy training one ,both seem ok to me but does anyone know of anbody who has done any of them and become a self employed plumber also after the training course how do you get the nvq 2 do you have to work with another qualified plumber as i have spoke to a few who are not in any way interested as one said why would he help train someone who will be in competition with

You can get your NVQ2 by working on your own. You just have to ensure that you satisfy all the performance criteria of the award.

You have 2 years from the registration date to complete the award, so no worries there.

Keep us posted :)

just spoke to a plumber /gas fitter while on deliveries he said there where too many people taking up the trade same as sparkys ,he said soon its going to be hard for both trades to keep getting regular work ,he seemed a bit unhelpful told me to stick with my driving job =) also i know a tile fitter, havent seen him for a while but ive heard he is now fitting bathrooms as well, can he do that,

Im currently on an NVQ2 plumbing course and am self employed. I DO however work alongside my father, a qalified plumber.

At my college, a number of the lads have not got work placements yet but the college has connections with a number of large plumbing firms and is confident if finding them placements once their technical certificate is complete.

urrent qualifications recognised as being a qualified plumber are the C&G 6089 and 6129. I believe this comprises of the technical certificate and the nvq2.

I think There is no legal requirement for qualifications/registrations at present to work in the industry apart from the Part P for electric work, ACS and corgi for gas work and OFTEC for oil work.

It is possible however to be prosecuted if you the installer go against the water regulations (water fittings) act thingy.

More info can be found on [DLMURL="http://www.iphe.org.uk/index.html"]The Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering[/DLMURL]

Alarmingly, people need to be aware of te governments plansto introduce anti cowboy schemes. They aresaying something along the lines of tradesmen will need a card similar to a CSCS card to work in the industry and you need an NVQ2 to get one or a lot of years work experience which will be inspected.

My advice i give all my friends is to contact your local college about NVQs in plumbing. If you have already done a course, your more likely to get on as you show aptitude and enthusiasm for the trade.

Hope that kinda helped mate

Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
alot of courses say they will go towards nvq 2 or point you in the right direction there is loads of courses and after looking a bit more the olci is just the basic learn at home stuff unless you can get to their centres which are too far,what is the legal word on whats needed to be able to call your self a plumber and go out and charge people for the work done and not be breaking any laws also any views on VIY Plumbing in leeds
Hi
Doing the VIY route at the moment, get along on the thursday to look around ask the lads doing the course what they think... we have 5 weeks to go in the workshops and any one of the 30 guys on the course will give you an honest answer to any questions. The qualifications that it says you get in the 10 weeks YOU DO NOT GET ALL OF THEM, SOME YOU HAVE TO GO BACK FOR IN SIX MONTHS TIME. Plus to do the other exams you need to spend ÂŁ144 on books to do the extra courses. We are 5 weeks in so in 5 weeks ask me what i think as i have invested a lot of money and the above course for some reason has gone up in price. Do not want to put you of but as with any course check and do not be afraid to ask questions as you are investing in your future.

thanks for the info you are right its hell of a lot of money, im looking at doing it in the near future viy or ppl maybe but leeds is closer to me ill keep checking to see how you get on ,it sounds like they have been a bit crafty with the small print. they should make it easy to understand

thanks for the info you are right its hell of a lot of money, im looking at doing it in the near future viy or ppl maybe but leeds is closer to me ill keep checking to see how you get on ,it sounds like they have been a bit crafty with the small print. they should make it easy to understand

If its domestic plumbing your after for the bathroom re furbs, then a good 2 week course is all you need. Be careful of the small print at these '6129 in 3 months' centres. They charge the earth and yes, they don't remind you to read the small print until you have possibly found out you have been flashed

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to plumbing coures /bathroom kitchen /qualifcations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hi All, first post here so please be gentle :smiley2: i have been thinking for a while now about re-training,after having to turn down a plumbing apprenticeship 8yr ago due to having my first daughter i have always regretted it and wanted to "try" being a plumber. i work full time and have a...
Replies
Views
T
Hi my names Tom im 22 and live in bolton, I have completed my technical certificate Level 2 6129 at the end of Aug 2010. When completed i started a course to achieve my NVQ 2 unfortunately when the new government came in they cut the funding. I waited 6 months as i was informed the college would...
Replies
Views
tom05289
T
B
Hello boys and girls, was hoping some of the oldest, wisest, shrewdest, most sceptical and experienced amongst you might impart a little advice................constructive of course... Now, I have read many a thread here and I am only too aware of the disdain that many have towards 'fast...
Replies
Views
Blumper
B
Hi there, this is my first post and hopefully many more to come. I have a query that has troubled me for some time. Basically i have completed my Level 2 in Plumbing 6129 at college a couple of years ago. Ive worked for a few plumbers on and off and have been travelling as i am young in the...
Replies
Views
applicator1
A
F
This looks like a good place for a plumber to be, you've already been helpful thanks to those who post. I started training about 2 years ago on an intensive course and should be studying for the Plumbing level 3 C&G followed by NVQ very soon. Based in Bristol been working with a great guy...
Replies
Views
easyt
E
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock