Search the forum,

Discuss plumbers mate wanted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
had one ...worked with me for about 2 mounts .....but had to go as unreliable and good story teller ! got a one that is working with m but needed one more guy as I am still on them one boiler each day !
some of the jobs are like : system boiler new cylinder and 15 rads all in one day !
with last team we finished them at 5 pm . just hope this one will be sensible and honest

Hi,

I'm local live in Hayes, have a van, tools and am studying for the gas diploma at Langley college. I have just past my NVQ 2 and the job sounds ideal. I am a bit older but used to hard work and one day installs which usually take thirteen hours!!!!!

I am interested in changing mycareer and retraining to become a Plumbing and Heating engineer. I have foundan adults training course at Brockenhurst College offering a city and guildsnvq level 2/ diploma in plumbing & heating (6189-11). I have funded thecourse myself. The course is run on Monday and Tuesday evening between 6pm to9pm. I started this course on Monday 14[SUP]th[/SUP] November 2011.

I live in Southampton and looking for an apprenticeship, I'm 36. I do not have a van or tools as of yet but will be willing to get them is a position comes up.

I started this course on Monday 14[SUP]th[/SUP] November 2011.
I live in Southampton and looking for an apprenticeship

Did you actually do any serious research into the trade before you signed up? You will never be an apprentice at 36! It won't happen. Ever.
You may be very lucky and be taken on as an "adult trainee" but times are hard and not many are taking anyone on.

I wouldn't worry too much; your time will be out just after Christmas. Just in time for the big money period

Don't take this to heart. It is a Friday night and my knees are feeling not too bad for a change :smile:

Did you actually do any serious research into the trade before you signed up? You will never be an apprentice at 36! It won't happen. Ever.
You may be very lucky and be taken on as an "adult trainee" but times are hard and not many are taking anyone on.

I wouldn't worry too much; your time will be out just after Christmas. Just in time for the big money period

Don't take this to heart. It is a Friday night and my knees are feeling not too bad for a change :smile:

What is the difference between apprentice and an adult trainee? My understanding is you will gain on the job training with both so in a way it is just terminology.
Looking on this government web site there is no upper age limit for apprenticeship.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the difference between apprentice and an adult trainee? My understanding is you will gain on the job training with both so in a way it is just terminology.
Looking on this government web site there is no upper age limit for apprenticeship.

An apprenticeship is a 4 year term normally undertaken by those under 21 but more often under 18's. The rates of pay do not have to comply with NMW regulations as there are exceptions for apprentices. Funding is available for under 21's.

Adult trainees are normally taken on a 2 year term with higher rates of pay. Any funding is at reduced rates.

To be frank, I can't see many, if any wanting to take up this great offer of work. They have to provide their own van, tools, be self employed, it's not going to be an 8hr day....All for ÂŁ50 a day! Reading between the lines, this isn't a I'm going to train you to be a plumber job, it's a I have a lot of work and I need a labourer, to do all my humping and running around for 2 weeks.

Labouring and humping's one thing but if there's a bit of actual plumbing work even better, either way it's a bit of experience of what the work is like.

I'll carry on looking at the thread now and see if you got anyone.

I'm too far and not qualified or I would go for it.

I thought there was a maximum age limit somewhere in the twentys, and if I rightly remember an apprentice's pay I think is ÂŁ2.50 ph.

I thought there was a maximum age limit somewhere in the twentys, and if I rightly remember an apprentice's pay I think is ÂŁ2.50 ph.

I think most apprenticeships are under 25. How ever looking on this link, there is no upper age limit.
Q&As - Apprenticeships

ÂŁ2.50 would be the min that someone could pay. As i have paid for my training that saves them ÂŁ5000 so they could choose to pay me more if they wished to.

guys in my class were 40+ so there is no age limit for an apprenticeship

I personally think it is but discourse...... Or terminology. Agree with Gquigly most people in my class were over 40 to with lots of combined experiences. I think on a practical term that os newbie oldies can bring a lot more value than a youngster or at least differing qualities. the main issue for me and one that I am reaaaaaaaaaalllly not happy with is that the government funds places for 16-19 year olds and not for the over 30s. i would like to address this issue and want to start the process with a petition. In simple terms who would you employ----- a young person who is fully funded no expense or an old timer... I think this needs addressing as the over 40 age group face just the same difficulties in employment without another hurdle being erected. What do others think?

i see no difference what so ever in adult trainees and young people, having worked with both i was annoyed when the adult trainee's time was out after his 3rd year but I still had to work another year to go upto full rate even though he made more costly mistakes than me and didnt have the right attitude, was a member of the monday club, etc etc.

I'm a member of the Wednesday club. Hate working Wednesdays because it ruins two weekends.

I dont see a difference in what people can bring be they young or older.... Each person makes mistakes I just think that it should be an equal playing field in difficult financial times. The government need to address this by funding for adult trainees. I dont no the coo in Scotland tho..

If I could secure work and funding to take on someone (and that's a huge If btw) I would probably take someone on who has responsibilities. A 16yr old who cant drag himself out of bed or just turns up as it pays a couple of quid more than the dole would be no use to me (well maybe apart from target practice). If I wanted someone like that I can always get my son out with me for free.

Its discrimination not too..... I think what about you? Why do you say that? Cheers

well said CES.... But nevertheless funding is available for 16-18 year olds and not us oldies with responsibilities... who if didn't live that far from livingston would gratefully work for minimum pay...

adults should have an income to be able to fund it, where as school leavers dont, that's the way the government will see it

trouble is most adults who are changing careers like me do so because of redundancy / unemployment. I used my money to re-train and get the basics i.e. level 2 cert and NVQ but then cash ran out. Associated costs are living costs which is the support you need from the government. I last entered the trade in 1995 and I completed the ET training whilst on increased benefits which I would gladly work for now. Three years is a long time to support yourself for food mortghage bills life clothes etc.

Made redundant, went to job centre same day I was told before even going home, said I wanted to retrain for something else, said they can't help me. you want a job (full time, no problem anything else forget it). Looking for work spending large amounts of money instead of spending it on training. Looking for part time while studying and they told me to run and jump.

i done apprenticeship at 27 - full funding for course no help towards my wages for employer

now im an employer i see the best of both worlds and the worst

some 16 yr olds are ultra keen some are dire

most lads over the age of 25 want to work and get somewhere.

but there are bad eggs in all of the age groups.

i can normally tell on the first day whether they are up to much

boy i know is half way through his 1st year of apprenticeship at 22, this is a full SVQ3(NVQ down south) apprenticeship so they are not exclusive to school leavers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to plumbers mate wanted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock