Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbers and asbestos in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I was just wondering if anybody knows how often a plumber would have to deal with asbestos in the uk in 2018?

Had it quite abit lately with artex ceilings when I have to drill through for pipe drops ect. Not sure on dates but I think traces of asbestos was in artex even in the early 90s. We have it tested before the jobs are started.

its still out there you have to careful when your working on old installations . cheers kop

I've come across it in old tap gland packings. Luckily it was wet and I've heard that the fibres used in rope tend to be longer and less easy to make airbourne. Not had it tested, but once dry it still wouldn't burn or melt and seemed immune to heat damage.
Agree with Artex containing asbestos: sent samples of the textured coatings in my own house to a lab and quite a lot tested positive for asbestos, as did the vinyl floor tiles. Worryingly, Artex is often simply skimmed over, thus hiding it!
Can also be found in pipe lagging, plastic window boards, plastic toilet cisterns, asbestos cement rainwater and roofing goods, bitumen mastics and reinforced bitumen paints.
Basically, almost any house built before 2000 may contain asbestos, and anything pre-1990 probably does, so you have to be eternally vigilant. As a tradesman I always look out for possible asbestos containing materials before quoting, and always warn on quotations that, as I am not qualified to work with asbestos (and to disturb asbestos professionally, you need to be), if I find asbestos, I may need to modify my plan to avoid distubing it, or stop work until the asbestos has been removed by others.
The HSE tells me that the legal requirement is to treat everything as if it were asbestos, unless it is either proven otherwise, or shows strong indications of being something else e.g. wood or metal. I know people who do break the law and I wouldn't want them and their asbestos contaminated tools working in my house!

Asbestos is still about if you do work on any homes that are more than 20 years old.
Gutters, downpipes, water pipes, flue pipes, roof tiles, soffits, boiler parts, pipe laging, electric heaters, stick down vinyl floor tiles, Bakelite toilet cisterns all can contain asbestos.

Yeah, and this is the problem. Do you lose jobs to the 'cowboys' who say 'there was some asbestos but we've dealt with it', possibly thinking they have genuinely done the customer a favour by saving them ÂŁ500 or whatever for the cost of having a hole cut through the ceiling safely and legally, and then, 20 years later, the old lady's grandson develops mesothelioma?

Personally I'm in favour of an asbestos service, run by the government, to deal with all asbestosy things. And an absolute ban on anyone else touching it personally or in the way of trade, with very severe penalties for infringement, and the same to anyone allowing others to infringe.

You'd have to do a full survey of everything for this to work.

But while it would cost money to fund, we'd save a fortune on NHS and on not having trademen and customers' working lives cut short.

Loads of good info here on what contains asbestos but one I haven't seen mentioned, the anti-noise pad on the underside of many older stainless sinks contain asbestos. Fortunately we never have to drill or cut there but may need to be taken into account at disposal.

Loads of good info here on what contains asbestos but one I haven't seen mentioned, the anti-noise pad on the underside of many older stainless sinks contain asbestos. Fortunately we never have to drill or cut there but may need to be taken into account at disposal.

So who is the wealthy businessman funding the asbestos watchdog? What is its link to UKIP? Who are these experts the watchdog claims to have on board?
As an online source, the Asbestos Watchdog lacks credibility and it seems possible that it may have vested interests, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbers and asbestos in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock